mickeysdouble

Questions regarding good moral character, etc. with regards to N-400

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I can feel your pains as if it was happening to me for real...i truly know how it feels to go through such betrayal....Just do what you feel is best...I will be checking back to see the outcome of the case and i pray the result turns out the way you want so as to enable you move pass this stage of your life....Hold on more for other Vj membrs to suggest on the best way for you to follow it up with the process...Once again,Take out time and rebuild your heart okay.I wish you the best.

Edited by Oscar12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Well after reading your last post,i realize why you felt this way about the whole situation,i mean no one will just let go after going back and forth trying to make things work initially and someday realize that it all worthless and full of betryaI...Trully in my heart i can feel your pains as if it was happening to me for real...i truly know how it feels to go through such betrayal....Just do what you feel is best...I will be checking back to see the outcome of the case and i pray the result turns out the way you want so as to enable you move pass this stage of your life....Hold on more for other Vj membrs to suggest on the best way for you to follow it up with the process...Once again,Take out time and rebuild your heart okay.I wish you the best.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Have to admire you for wanting to keep your kid, most of the guys, especially in my military days didn't care about either. And not easy for a man to get full physical custody of their kids. I did it with my two youngest ones, cost me $25,000.00 and was one hell of a battle, but just want you to know it can be done. Damn, our courts are biased toward women, regardless of how terrible they are. Just knew she would never use my child support payments for my kids, and that gave me plenty of motivation to win.

If this is your desire, would be number one priority in my book. The rest would be just trying to get free of that damned I-864 and getting full physical custody of your child. From the first time I met my new wife, we stuck together with glue for two full years before we tied the knot, had many problems to overcome, but if she couldn't come up with a solution, I could or vice-versa. Made me a believer in soulmates, a word I use to laugh at. Never hesitated for a second in signing that I-864 with her. But already experiencing family members kicked off my health insurance plan because of a precondition, was a bit of a concern that she could be hit by a hit and run driver and bankrupt us. Crooks, you pay a fortune for health insurance, something like this happens and they kick that person off.

Also a bit concerned about my own brother, his wife died, finds a gal from the Philippines and marries her three months later. Mostly because of my niece and nephew, she won't even let them come to their home for an overnight visit, but way too busy petitioning for her own family members. But that is my brothers problem, not mine, just told my niece and nephew, they have a home here if they want it. And do have a great wife that will accept them, but so far, haven't accepted that offer. But kids need someone to depend upon, and that is all they wanted.

Too bad the USCIS doesn't have that "family" word in their vocabulary. And I actually love my new in-laws, this has to be a miracle. They were there to help my wife in anyway possible to come here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I cannot prevent her from going to the Thai embassy or consulate and getting a Thai passport and her and/or her brother from taking him out of the country on that.

That is my worry and even if I get custody through divorce and a court order and/or a restraining order what is to stop her from taking him abroad against my wishes? The only way to stop it is to tell what I know before/during the N-400 process and hope she gets deported. Hopefully the burden of proof for the N-400 is at least the same or greater for any other step along the way.

If they follow their rules, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. See FAQ 4 in the link:

http://www.thaichicago.net/clate/passport_en.html

<LI>"If a 10-year old applicant applies for an e-Passport, is it necessary for the parents to come in person to sign the parental consent form?

Applicant under the age of 15 must be accompanied by parents or a legal guardian. If applicant is adopted child, the said adoption must be issued by Thai law.

If both parents cannot appear, either father or mother must accompany the child and bring a notarized parental consent form signed by the non- appearing parent. "

I know things work differently in Thailand, but I would doubt they would willfully break US laws to help her.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Dragging your feet on your divorce and initiating the custody battle doesn't help your situation. Matter of fact, the vast majority of FBI kidnapping charges are against one parent leaving with the kids.

I even had to get a court order to take my kids over 125 miles from home, but was okay with 124 miles. If I broke that rule, would have been in deep trouble.

• 10 months later...
Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

It has been awhile but I figured I would update the results.

When I found out she was applying for her citizenship I had planned to send all the information I had to the local USCIS office where she would have her interview.

Then I started reading about how the I-864 is essentially a pathway to hell if the LPR knows anything about the law.

At the end of the day let it be a warning to anyone that unless the LPR commits a serious felony you have only one reasonable option:

Deal with it and let the person become a citizen.

The cards are stacked against you because if the woman is smart enough she can just forgo the N-400 and perpetually apply for another green card...especially if she had her own children you brought over too.

Talk about a total nightmare.

The I-864 is a total pathway to hell and ANYONE considering to sign one must know that a woman can divorce you and there is no defense against it as long as her green card is valid.

She can force you to pay her the rest of her life (if she works her earnings are subtracted from the level of support required by the I-864). It gets even worse if the woman has children who are LPRs (that aren't biologically yours).

A woman can come here and totally screw you where the sun doesn't shine, cheat on you, steal from you, and abandon you and there is nothing you can do about it.

Suck it up and let her file her N-400 and get the noose off your neck. At least getting past the N-400 automatically cancels any I-864s or other affidavits of support you had signed. That's worth more than any divorce paper because it divorces you from the obligation(s).

You made a right decision . She doesn't deserve to be a US citizen indeed , but you better off with het being one. You need to get a divorce , fight for full custody , make her pay child support and move on with your life . There' is someone who will treat you and your child way better and will love you .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.