Kingstonlove

SO CONFUSED....SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Me and my fiance have been together for almost two years and we're getting married next year but trying to figure out the best/quickest option to get him here to the US with me. Just in the last year and a half I have been to Jamaica to visit him 4 times. We have been researching ways to get thru the imigration process quicker and to get him here...we have looked at getting him a fiance visa but I have gotten conflicting timelines on how long it will take for him to get approved thru that way. And we have researched me just going over and getting married, but we dont know how long it takes once we get married or what is the quickest process. How long does it normally take to get your marriage license back from Jamaica once you have married? I have seen conflicting timelines.

If you can give me any help or information at all it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help.

Actually Fiancee visa is quicker to get (about 7 month) but more expensive and have some stipulations. While spousal visa is longer (10-12 month) however allows you to work and travel right away.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

There is no quick fast way for either process. It's all about what you'll want at the end of the day. Being married or engaged doesn't always guarantee a visa at the end. The best thing I can advise is that you read up on the process for both(see guide tab above)and then decide what works best for you'll.

You will be best advised to remember, this Jamaican slogan: soon come. Nothing in Jamaica happens overnight.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There is no quick fast way for either process. It's all about what you'll want at the end of the day. Being married or engaged doesn't always guarantee a visa at the end. The best thing I can advise is that you read up on the process for both(see guide tab above)and then decide what works best for you'll.

You will be best advised to remember, this Jamaican slogan: soon come. Nothing in Jamaica happens overnight.

good.gif

Me and my fiance have been together for almost two years and we're getting married next year but trying to figure out the best/quickest option to get him here to the US with me. Just in the last year and a half I have been to Jamaica to visit him 4 times. We have been researching ways to get thru the imigration process quicker and to get him here...we have looked at getting him a fiance visa but I have gotten conflicting timelines on how long it will take for him to get approved thru that way. And we have researched me just going over and getting married, but we dont know how long it takes once we get married or what is the quickest process. How long does it normally take to get your marriage license back from Jamaica once you have married? I have seen conflicting timelines.

If you can give me any help or information at all it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help.

if you should get married and then file you can expect the process to take 8-10 months without any delays.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Timeline

The timelines will vary with no specific reason given. Sometimes a K1 will take the same amount of time as the I-130. The one thing I can tell you is that with the I-130 your husband will come over as a LPR with a greencard whereas with the K1 you will have some costly paperwork to file once you are married. The greencard will be conditional if married less then two years. At least he will be able to apply for his SS card as soon has he arrives in the US and can began working. The benefit is the cost!

Renee

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As Life's Journey says there is no quick or easy way to immigration.

Having done both a fiance' visa and a spousal visa I would say the spousal visa (CR1) is the better of the two. There was a time when the CR1 took much longer to get to POE (Point of Entry) but if you are on top of the process the CR1 can go relatively quickly almost as quick as the K1. It is also less expensive than the K1 with AOS fees and a CR1 will provide your husband with permanent residence as soon as he arrives in the US.

Good Luck!

Wishing you a smooth journey whichever road you choose (F)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.