Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Minu Luvs Pinu

Things you must do after getting married

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I'm very new at this obviously, first time and hopefully the only time I get married.

What documents do I need to change to reflect my new last name?

Do I have to change my last name on my Canadian Passport? If I choose not to, will I have problems at the border?

What about my car's license plate? I just registered my car for another year, do I have to change my car's plates to the state that I will be living in? Will I need to have a new drivers license? Can I keep my license (atleast for another yr until I get settled) and just change my last name on my Ontario license the next time I go visit.

What else should I do or need to know?

Thank you in advanced.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Minu Luvs Pinu,

Yes, it is exciting time once you get your visa - and a little bit intimidating too when you realize the next order of business will be to move to the US. Do you have a date you plan to do this yet?

One thing you will have to do is decide what to do with your car. You can't just drive it across the border and take up residence in your new home with it. The car needs to satisfy its own 'immigration requirements'; things like getting a letter from its manufacturer verifying that it meets US safety and emissions standards. etc. As an intending immigrant you are allowed to import your car without paying import fees as long as it meets the US criteria and you have owned it for at least one year. It will then need to be registered in the State to which you are moving - and that State will have its own requirements (it varies from state to state). You will also need to arrange for vehicle insurance in the US since Canadian insurance does not cover cars of US residents. You will need to get a Driver's License from your US state, although you will be able to drive on your Ontario license for a while - generally between 30 days to 90 days - it varies by state. You can search on Google by typing in your state name and then "Driver's License" . Some states accept Canadian DL and will transfer you to an American one, but some require you to test all over again. You will want to be prepared for this one. After your car is properly set up in the US, you will need to cancel your Canadian registration and insurance. Since you just renewed it, you will get a refund.

You are basically changing residences so things that are based upon residency in Ontario will no longer apply. The other thing that will change is when you stop living in Ontario you are also no longer eligible to receive OHIP so your new husband should plan to add you to his health insurance in the US as soon as you are married. You may wish to get temporary health insurance to cover the time between you cross the border and the time you get married. US Health insurance is different in the fact that you are only allowed to 'change' it (eg add someone) at an annual renewal time, or upon a life-changing event. Marriage is considered a life-changing event - but the changes must be listed within 30 days for most insurance plans so your husband will want to make sure he has the information available from his work's personnel department.

Your marriage certificate is a legal document. It will list both your name and your husband's name. You can use it to change your last name to his last name if that is what you wish to do. You would submit a copy of the marriage certificate wherever you wished to have your name changed along with the request to change your name. You would use the name that you want to use when you file for your AOS. If you don't wish to change your name, you don't have to - it is your choice.

The first thing you want to do when you get to the US - even before you get married unless you are getting married within a week of crossing the border - is the apply for your Social Security Number. You will do this in person at the Social Security Administrative Office near your new home. You will need your passport with its stamped K-1 visa and a document you will get at the border called an I-94 which is valid for 90 days. SSA will verify that you are eligible to get a SSN with US immigration. This will take a few days so plan on going for your SSN about 1 week after your arrive. Your I-94 needs to be valid when you apply for your SSN. Apply for your SSN in your maiden name. You will need the card and number for things before you are married, such as getting your US DL - and when you are married, for being added to your husband's health insurance. You can change your name on your SSN card after you are married by bringing a copy of your marriage certificate to the SSA.

You don't need to change your name in your Canadian passport until it is ready to expire unless you want to. You will need to carry a copy of your marriage certificate with your passport to prove you are the same person, and you will need to book any international flight tickets (even to Canada) in the same name that is in your passport. You just need to be able to show that you with your maiden name is the same person as you with your married name - and that is done with the marriage certificate.

Here is some information about importing a car: http://www.epa.gov/o...ts/quiktext.htm


<h5>B. Individuals with immigrant, worker or student status

All Canadians with documented immigrant status, or worker or student status in the U.S. exceeding one year are eligible for an exemption to import their Canadian vehicles. The importer must have proof that the vehicle is a Canadian version and that he or she owned the vehicle prior to changing residence. Adequate proof may be a copy of the Canadian title or registration, or vehicle insurance information in the name of the importer.

Importations for resale are not permitted under this exemption.

No Customs bond or approval is required by EPA.

The importer must file with U.S. Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1, declare code "M" on that form, attach proof of immigrant, worker or student status and proof that the vehicle is a Canadian version and that the importer owned the vehicle prior to importation (such as a copy of the vehicle registration or title in the name of the importer).

One other suggestion to do before you move to the US - go to your bank and arrange to set up your account in Canada so you can access it online from the US. You may wish to change the type of account it is to one with lower fees. You will want to keep a Canadian bank account open for at least one year (you can keep it longer if you wish) as you will need to file a Canadian income tax return by next April and if you get a refund, they can direct deposit it right into that account. If you have to pay, then you can write a cheque on that account. It is a heck of a lot easier than trying to deal with Canadian funds in US banks. You won't want to keep a lot of money in it but enough to make it useful for any financial concerns you still have in Canada.

You will get lots of information and advice from other members in this forum who have gone through this, so don't worry.:) Good luck!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What documents do I need to change to reflect my new last name?

Do I have to change my last name on my Canadian Passport? If I choose not to, will I have problems at the border?

I changed my name on my Provincial ID first off and simply showed up with my current ID along with an original copy of my marriage certificate.

I then changed my passport (it was time to renew anyways) and sent all the required documents along with another original copy of my marriage certificate.

I had done all of my visa applications in my maiden name, as I hadn't changed any of it over when we filed the I-130. I changed my last name when I was at the interview in Montreal for final approval, no problems at all.

Keep in mind that whatever name you have on your visa is the name you need to keep until it's time to change/renew your Visa. Your Visa will be issued using the last name on your passport, I think. I don't believe you will encounter any problems at the border because of your last name so long as it matches on your ID cards/Passport - or you have an original copy of your marriage certificate to verify why they don't match (that's what I used until passport renewal).

Best of luck!

Yesterday is HISTORY

Tomorrow is a MYSTERY

Today is a GIFT, that's why we call it the PRESENT.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.