7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

on my vaccination supplement i had done in the uk i had all my shots but not varicella as it is not available in the uk. I had chicken pox as a child but do not have any of my doctors notes to prove this. Will i need to get a varicella shot at the civil surgeons?

Chrissy UK (Yorkshire) John USA (Minnesota)

20/July/05 Married in Las Vegas!!

AOS approved April 12th 2006!!

4/01/08 mailed I-751 to Nebraska

4/3/08 package arrives at Nebraska

4/11/08 check cashed

4/14/08 recieved NOA extension letter

4/26/08 recieved biometrics appointment letter plus it looks like our case has been forwarded to California!

5/02/08 Biometrics scheduled

5/02/08 Biometrics completed in 10 mins!

Woo Hoo....8/28/08 Recieved 10yr Greencard in mail, no approved email!! We are done!!!

.png

.png

When my husband had his medical in London, the doctor, knowing that Varicella Shot isn't given in the UK and that most all kids get Chicken Pox as a Child, signed that vaccination off as completed on his DS-3025, and told him that once in the US, he would only need to get MMR and Tetanus/Diptheria. He then found his MMR vaccination record that he'd gotten in Primary School, and only needed to get TD from the Civil Sureon here in the States.

If the Doctor in Britain didn't mark off Varicella on your sheet, then I'm not sure whether you would need that shot for immigration purposes or not. You can try explaining the UK situation on Chicken Pox to the Civil Surgeon when you see him/her, and see if they'll go ahead and just sign you off as "completed" and save you a needle poke... But other than that, I'm not sure....

Good luck!!!!

11/11/2005 -- Chris Arrived in US on K-1 Visa

11/21/2005 -- Married in Vegas!

12/05/2005 -- Mailed AOS/EAD

04/05/2006 -- AOS Interview and Bio (issued at the interview)

06/10/2006 -- Welcome letter arrives

06/23/2006 -- Green Card Arrives

Lifting Conditions

03/10/2008 -- Mailed I-751 Packet to USCIS

03/14/2008 -- NOA Arrives!! (also check is cashed)

04/07/2008 -- Bio Appt Letter Arrives!

04/17/2008 -- Bio Appt

From other postings I have read, it would seem that most civil surgeons are quite happy to ask did you have chicken pox as a child and then take your answer as proof enough.

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Wheb I went for my AOS interview in Denver the lady told me than i needed a varicella shot, I let her know than i had varicella when I was a kid.

I went to a surgeon in Denver she just checked varicella on the supplement.

No problem if you've not had it at the time the visa is issued as the UK is not a country which offers that vaccination, but when I went to get my vaccination supplement completed by the Civil Surgeon for AOS I was told that I could either get blood tested for immunity to Varicella having had it as a child, or could get the shot. As it was quicker to get the shot that's what I did.

Apparently from what we were told, if you live in a country where the shot is not available, you have to have it in the US for AOS.

But hey...perhaps they were just after my money!

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

I believe most people above a certain age will not have had the varicella shot -- as it was not available/required until relatively recently. We just all got the chicken pox at some point in our childhoods.

Some civil surgeons will just take your word for it that you had chicken pox as a child. Makes sense, since 99% of people did. Some civil surgeons will require you to get a blood test to prove it. Seems to be up to the civil surgeon and is not a USCIS rule. So, maybe when you call around to check on pricing for the civil surgeons in your area, also ask if they will require a blood test for varicella or if they will take your word for it.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Verbal proof for already having chickenpox is completely sufficient. No tests or extra shots are needed to prove it.

I heard this both from the civil surgeon in the US and the civil surgeon in the UK :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.