Deputy Purple

Cathay Pacific Airlines SUCKS!

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline
One reason why companies should just establish their OWN customer service rather than paying for services of call centers. A lot of their agents just read stuff found in use manuals and FAQ

No actually it's a big reason why companies should hire the right call center to handle their customer service.

My employer is the #1 Financial Services Customer Service Call Center in the US for Credit Union Loan process and Member Services. We're that way because we understand the Credit Union culture. We spend a lot of time & money properly training our Call Center employees and encourage them to listen and surpass the callers' expectations on every call.

Maybe this is a prime example of how outsourcing call centers to other countries is ruining customer service.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh well, I guess the customer service is not based in PI. We use Hawaiian Air, it is nice coz, we can check in Lihue Kauai, then bypass the mess to check in Honolulu. Then no problem for customer service coz it is based in PI :thumbs: .

Filed: Timeline

No actually it's a big reason why companies should hire the right call center to handle their customer service.

My employer is the #1 Financial Services Customer Service Call Center in the US for Credit Union Loan process and Member Services. We're that way because we understand the Credit Union culture. We spend a lot of time & money properly training our Call Center employees and encourage them to listen and surpass the callers' expectations on every call.

Maybe this is a prime example of how outsourcing call centers to other countries is ruining customer service.

the thing about hiring call centers is that the company cannot directly act on complaints and issues. it will will under the jurisdiction of the call center company not the "business' company.

i often call insurance for coverage and claim status, and usually they just parrot what is written in their screen. asking specific questions to them hardly helps. some even are like angry when you ask more specific question. i don't think it is related to outsourcing. coz i have been connected to american call center agents and they can be grumpy just like their overseas counterparts.

Oh well, I guess the customer service is not based in PI. We use Hawaiian Air, it is nice coz, we can check in Lihue Kauai, then bypass the mess to check in Honolulu. Then no problem for customer service coz it is based in PI :thumbs: .

i dunno, i have also encountered call center agents in the PI who are not very helpful when you ask more than what is written in their screens. it has nothing to do whether the call center is in the PI or not

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've flown CP a few times (coach) and have always had good experiences, except for the food which was awful, and the small amount of legroom in coach. CP has fancier looking interiors, but I'll take the legroom and much better food of PAL anytime.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

2010-03-02 I-129F Sent

2010-03-08 NOA1

2010-03-09 Check Cashed

2010-03-10 Case "touched"

2010-04-13 Case "touched"

2010-04-15 NOA2

2010-04-21 NVC Received

2010-06-01 K-1 Interview at US Embassy Manila

2010-06-08 Visa Issued

2010-07-08 POE: San Francisco, CA

2010-07-31 Married

2010-09-24 Sent AOS Package (I-185, I-765)

2010-09-27 AOS Package Received at Chicago Lockbox

2010-10-04 NOA (Notice of Receipt) date for I-485 & I-765

2010-10-07 Touch

2010-12-22 Biometrics

2010-12-22 I-485 Interview at Anchorage, AK

2010-12-27 2-yr Green Card Issued

2011-01-10 Green Card Received

2011-05-19 Vacation to Philippines

2011-07-02 Return from Philippines to US

I just want to know if they allow using a "Balikbayan box" for one of your pieces of checked luggage.

You can carry any item (luggage, box, bag) as your luggage as long as it conform to the airline's luggage restrictions. Anything "luggage" outside that restriction will be charged the excess luggage fees and the excess fees are clearly stated on Cathay (and most airlines) website.

Of course I can see this info on their website. The thing is that when you fly to the Philippines you always see people checking BB Boxes so we were thinking about doing the same thing but how can we do it if we can't get the needed info? I mean if it would just cost extra then be polite and tell us.

They are technically not checking in BB boxes, they are checking in their luggage. The airlines treat the BB boxes as luggage AND luggage rules applies.

Some items are better fitted in a box that a luggage (so people used a box instead). And as stated on the Cathay site (& other airline sites); the total dimensions of each piece you bring must not exceed 158cm (62in), it doesn't say what size luggage but the total size - so anything (box, luggage, bag, etc) up to 62 inches.

The BB box you see the flyers checked in are 18 x 18 x 24 and that is 60 total inches - below the 62 inch restriction.

Also ALL "luggage" MUST still go by the weight restrictions which for the Americas is 50 lbs for economy/coach.

You are allowed 2 pieces of "luggage" as your free allowance and both MUST conform to the luggage restrictions so you decide what you want to bring - luggage, bag or box.

The extra charge if a luggage is outside the restrictions (weight above 50lbs but under 80 lbs or dimensions over 62 inches & under 80 inches) is $100 per piece. Anything outside that then you need clearance.

Once again, the people you see traveling are NOT bringing a BB box on the airline BUT their "luggage".

My wife asked about the availability of plain rice as a mean option and the woman just replied "We're not a restaurant", how could that be considered awesome customer service?

The meals that they serve are clearly stated on their site for that route AND you can request a special meal. All you do is manage my booking and choose what you like - meals, change seats, etc,. Self service!!!!!!!!!

Also, I've had no problem contacting them when I needed to.

Neither do I.

Yes, I'm calling well within their normal business hours...

What number was you calling and at what time? Depending on the number (even if it is a 1-800 number) the call would go directly to their HK office (or to a call center) - so if you were calling them at 10am California time then that would be trying to call them @ 2am HK time.

It was the same way when I flew Asiana Airlines to the Philippines...

I guess my point was that for something that is so obviously prevalent you'd expect the airline to have the information more readily available.

All the information (s) are on their website - on both Asiana & Chathay.

USCIS

07-20-2010: I-130 package mailed.

07-22-2010: I-130 Package Received - Priority Date.

07-29-2010: Received text & email from USCIS - Notice Date.

07-30-2010: Check Cashed by USCIS.

08-02-2010: Received NOA1 hard copy.

08-02,04,05: Touched.

09-28-2010: Received text & email - petition approved.

10-04-2010: Received NOA2 hard copy.

NVC

10-13-2010: NVC Case# Received (after calling).

10-15-2010: Emailed DS-3032 to NVC.

10-16-2020: Received the DS-3032 package, IIN number & AOS bill via email.

10-22-2010: Paid AOS bill ($88) - showing IN PROCESS

10-25-2010: AOS fee PAID.

10-27-2010: Express Mail AOS Package.

10-27-2010: Paid IV bill - showing IN PROCESS.

10-28-2010: AOS package delivered.

10-28-2010: IV fee PAID.

10-29-2010: Express Mail IV package.

11-01-2010: IV package delivered.

11-08-2010: AOS packages entered into NVC system.

11-15-2010: IV package entered into NVC system.

11-23-2010: SIF.

11-24-2010: Case Complete.

CONSULATE

12-21-2010: Medical at SLMC - Passed

12-22-2010: Immunization at SLMC

01-04-2011: Interview @USEM ~ Approval

OTHER

02-05-2011: POE at JFK

N-400

05-01-2017: N-400 Sent

05-09-2017: Case accepted

05-15-2017: Biometric appointment scheduled

05-30-2017: Biometric

06-05-2017: Inline for interview

08-15-2017: Interview scheduled

09-19-2017: Interview (approved).

01-19-2018: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.