JeremyR

Couple of questions re upcoming RoC interview.

8 posts in this topic

Can anybody who has had an RoC interview answer these two quick questions for me?

Firstly, the supplement that came with the interview notice (the one which details what evidence is required) asks for "two passport sized photographs". That means of me (the LPR), correct? Sounds obvious but it doesn't say whether they should be of me or my USC wife! :rolleyes:

Second, the IO's tend to retain the 2yr green card at the interview don't they?

If they do, and if they don't make a decision promptly (horror stories of no decisions for months after interviews abound) then InfoPass will still give me a passport stamp, even if my 1-year extension expires (this coming March), won't they? I have some sick family members back in the UK and may need to travel at short notice not too far into the future... Not to mention that my DL will expire at the same time. Being stuck in a proof of status hole would be a major problem.

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Filed: Timeline

Our interview was about two months ago. I'm the USC, my wife the LPR.

Firstly, the supplement that came with the interview notice (the one which details what evidence is required) asks for "two passport sized photographs". That means of me (the LPR), correct? Sounds obvious but it doesn't say whether they should be of me or my USC wife!

I can't imagine why they'd want pictures of the USC. Although for our interview the letter did not state that we should bring pictures of anyone, and we didn't. No problems for us.

Second, the IO's tend to retain the 2yr green card at the interview don't they?

If they do, and if they don't make a decision promptly (horror stories of no decisions for months after interviews abound) then InfoPass will still give me a passport stamp, even if my 1-year extension expires (this coming March), won't they?

In our case, yes, the IO retained the card. This was a little surprising, and we had international travel scheduled. The IO did not stamp my wife's passport at the interview, but emphasized to us that if the date of travel was approaching (it was about 30 days after the interview) and we still hadn't received the 10-year GC, that a quick InfoPass appointment would be enough to get the stamp. We asked about this very specifically, but never found out if it was really the case, as the GC arrived before our departure.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Read the requirements carefully. If I recall, the two photos (of the green card holder) apply in cases where you are applying overseas. Otherwise they use the photos taken at your biometrics appointment.

Our interviewer did not take the green card. However due to the long delay getting the new GC we went in for the passport stamp and had to surrender the temp GC at that time to get the passport stamp. We made an infopass appointment to get the passport stamp. Their infopass calendar was pretty open so it was easy to pick a nearby day and time to go in -- at least in Minneapolis office.

May 7, 2007 -- I-129F K1 sent to NSC

Dec 26, 2007 -- K1 Visa approved.

------

Sep 16, 2008 -- AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

Apr 01, 2009 -- Conditional green card arrives.

------

Feb 19, 2011 -- Mailed I-751 Packet to lift conditions

Nov 11, 2011 -- Permanent GC rev'd in mail.

------

Apr 25, 2012 -- Mailed N-400 Naturalization

Aug 16, 2012 -- Citizenship Interview. Approved.

Sep 06, 2012 -- Citizenship Oath.

Thanks both of you. Made a mental note to get a high res front-and-back scan of the GC before the interview so I've got one just in case this drags out until after I'm eligible for citizenship.

I can't imagine why they'd want pictures of the USC.

That's my logic. But they got some photos of me during biometrics so why they'd want more is beyond me...

Read the requirements carefully. If I recall, the two photos (of the green card holder) apply in cases where you are applying overseas. Otherwise they use the photos taken at your biometrics appointment.

Nope, I filed in the US & there's no qualifier in the notice, it just says "Two passport style photos". I've uploaded the evidence requirements part of the notice I received from Atlanta Field Office:

http://www.jeremy-r.com/stuff/i751-evidence-requirements.pdf

The passport photos are the last item on the list. I guess it's just "an Atlanta thing"... But they're asking for them so I'm taking them. I wouldn't be surprised if I leave with them too, though :lol:

Edited by JeremyR

07/18/08 - Married

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Timeline

Wow, that's interesting. We received nothing like that attachment with our interview notice. Admittedly the I-751 instructions themselves are a bit vague (essentially "Show us anything you can think of that might make us believe you"), but I'd never have thought to get letters from my employer or our bank. Nor did we bring new copies (or translations) of birth certificates - that was all in the initial AoS packet.

Even though its a little bit of a pain, though, I think its good of them to send you a slightly more qualified list of stuff they'd like to see. A lot of the questions here in this very forum relate to the vagueness of the original form's instructions, and our interview letter provided no clarification at all on what to bring with us (except to bring originals of what we'd submitted copies of with the packet). We felt that we were largely "flying blind" with regard to evidence.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'd bring the photos. There was no mention of it in our notice, but since its in your notice I would do it. I remember vaguely when I was researching before our interview coming across someone who was told that the photos from biometrics for some reason weren't useable, so had them bring in "passport photos" to their ROC interview. You should be able to get them done just about anywhere for $10 or less.

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

In our case, we filed the I-751, my husband, the LPR (conditional) received a biometrics date, which he attended. About a week or two later, he received a letter extending his 2 year conditional residence with instructions to carry a copy of the letter with him at all times in case he is asked for his conditional resident card. Apparently, the letter giving the year long extension is so that they have time to process the actual ROC. I understand that he will get an interview date sometime over the next year and that they may request additional evidence. Is this pretty much how it goes with everyone?

I understand that he will get an interview date sometime over the next year and that they may request additional evidence. Is this pretty much how it goes with everyone?

No, not really. Very few people get called for an interview at the RoC stage (anecdotally from the monthly filers threads, it's about 5%)...

I'd bring the photos. There was no mention of it in our notice, but since its in your notice I would do it.

Yep, that's exactly what we're going to do... They ask for it, they get it...

07/18/08 - Married

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.