Tarek and Laura

Marriage After K-1 has been Filed

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
:help: I traveled to Morocco this summer and met my fiance. We could have (and wanted to) be married there, but were told it takes less time to file for the K-1 fiance visa, in comparrison to the K-3. So I filed the K-1 as soon as I got home. My fiance's friend told us that if we married in Morocco, it would take about a year and a half before my fiance could come to America with me. I was just wondering if this were true, and why. I am planning a trip in December/January back to Morocco to be with him and I was wondering if we actually got married what would happen to the K-1 status. Would we have to start all over, and then file the K-3 instead? And does it actually take longer, if we were married first in Morocco, rather than waiting for him to come to America on the K-1, if we did in fact do it that way. Thanks, any information is appreciated. Laura

Jan. 9, 2005 Met Online, Friendship Developed

July 18, 2006 Started Talking about Marriage

Aug. 5, 2006 Flew to Morocco to meet Tarek (Fell Deeply in Love)

Aug. 18, 2006 Engagement Party with Tarek's Family

Aug. 24, 2006 Left Morocco

Aug. 29, 2006 Mailed I129F Paperwork

Sep. 10, Received Letter from USCIS, incomplete signatures

Sept. 11, 2006 Sent Original Signatures and Resubmitted

Sept. 11, 2006 USCIS Received Paperwork

Sept. 18, 2006 Received NOA1 (Notice of Receipt)

Sept. 21, 2006 Checked Cleared the Bank

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
:help: I traveled to Morocco this summer and met my fiance. We could have (and wanted to) be married there, but were told it takes less time to file for the K-1 fiance visa, in comparrison to the K-3. So I filed the K-1 as soon as I got home. My fiance's friend told us that if we married in Morocco, it would take about a year and a half before my fiance could come to America with me. I was just wondering if this were true, and why. I am planning a trip in December/January back to Morocco to be with him and I was wondering if we actually got married what would happen to the K-1 status. Would we have to start all over, and then file the K-3 instead? And does it actually take longer, if we were married first in Morocco, rather than waiting for him to come to America on the K-1, if we did in fact do it that way. Thanks, any information is appreciated. Laura

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Morocco

I-129F Sent : 2006-01-09

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-01-13

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-01-31

NVC Received : 2006-02-06

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You CANNOT get legally married in Morocco and continue with the K-1 application.

A K-1 visa is a Fiance(e) visa for a US Citizen to bring their Non-US Fiance(e) to the US to get married. If you are already married prior to his entry into the US then your Fiance will now be your Husband, invalidating the K-1 visa and will be forcing you to re-apply from scratch for a spousal visa.

Your Fiance will be free to leave Morocco as soon as his visa is approved. The length of time for this varies but there are many others applying for visas from Morrocco who will be able to give you a better idea of timelines. Do not rush into marriage in Morrocco if you already have several months of processing time under your belt for the k-1. You will be forced to back track to step one and start all over again.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Laura,

The K1 for the fiance is faster because it is simply a non-immigrant visa and there is less processing need to get your fiance here. Then you can be together for the adjustment of status process. I think, somehere who understands the K-3 process can help me with this, the K-3 does further processing than needed for the K-1 so that once the spouce in in the US, its a quicker adjustment.

CSC is starting to show more normal times and while there is no way to kow how long it will take (best guess for you barring any problems with the petition or RFEs- could be visa issued early next year). K-3 would take longer and especially since you won't be getting married for a couple of more months.

Sophia

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The K3 visa is also a non immigrant visa and is a temporary visa allowing your spouse to be in the US while you go through the process of AOS.

Since you've already applied for the K1, I'd stick with it. It's a totally case to case thing, but either way you're going to be waiting. With the K3 you'd have to marry, then file for a immigrant visa and then apply for the K3. You're better off sticking with the K1 because once your fiancee approved you have 90 days to marry and then you are together while you apply for AOS.

In addition, cancelling the K1 visa could be an annoying process for you as well...

Edited by wasabisnack

Filed: Other Timeline

if you went and got married now rather than wait on the K1, you'd end up being apart another year or so. Give or take a month.

Keep with the K1, it'll be done probably soon.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Check here for your options:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

And here for timelines:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Beware that timelines are a bit askew due to IMBRA... if you don't know what that is, look here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=126

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
if you went and got married now rather than wait on the K1, you'd end up being apart another year or so. Give or take a month.

Keep with the K1, it'll be done probably soon.

Ditto

Great Advice

If you want later u could have a big wedding in Morocco and save up in a year or 2 for your significant others family

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.