sherif23

green card expired' - unique case, interview next month

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello everyone

I think I have one of those unique cases, I will share the History as an experience to anyone similar and seek advice as well

I used to reside in the US, student visa back in 94

Had a a conditional green card in 2004, stamp renewed every six months but they never removed the conditions

Divorce march 2006- primarily financial reason we had filed joint bankruptcy

2008 moved to NY and married another US citizen who's is dual citizen, her dad is Egyptian

We knew each other since summer 2006

Another interview to remove conditions summer of 2008, and still nothing

2009 - lost my job, ran out of unemployment -

Then an opportunity for work came up in Egypt. So I moved here summer 2009 and my wife came with me (she owns a tax business so has the luxury to be able to freely travel. Besides, we had a lot of credit card debit so I needed a job

We travelled back to the US for the Christmas holiday ( no issues)

Jan 2010 - I get a removal letter to appear in immigration court for not showing up to my conditional removal interview. What a joke, because we never got the notification of such interview in the mail, and I had been to two conditional removal interviews already

Wife travelled back to US for tax season - hired a lawyer and went to the immigration court - case was closed on the basis that I had left the US prior to any legal judgements and

Had always maintained legal status while residing in the US

Now e wife travels back to Egypt (she was pregnant and did not want to deliver the baby away from me)

Our beautiful girl born summer of 2010

Once again my wife stays with me until jan 2011 at which she travels back to The US for tax season

She files the I30, since our trip to Cairo was only meant for like a year or so until things went sour

Case complete, interview scheduled for December 21st - I think she will come with me since she has been living here anyway

But oh boy - no idea what to expect and lawyers given me different stories. Such as old green card and leaving the US will be a problem - someone else said, your biggest battle will

Be to prove that your intentions are to move permanently to the US since I left and am gainfully employed here in Cairo

Thanks for reading my words

Edited by sherif23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you are not planning to move to the US don't bother with the interview. The purpose of the visa to move to the US and live.

If you are planning to live in the US after obtaining the visa then you should not have any big problems. You can explain that you never followed up on the removal of conditions petitions and let them die/expire. (The "I never received notice" story is kinda weak. )

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If you are not planning to move to the US don't bother with the interview. The purpose of the visa to move to the US and live.

If you are planning to live in the US after obtaining the visa then you should not have any big problems. You can explain that you never followed up on the removal of conditions petitions and let them die/expire. (The "I never received notice" story is kinda weak. )

Definitely moving back to the US, my in laws , brother and siter reside in the US

Besides I spent more time there than in my own native country

In terms of the notice, I can assure it never came , otherwise I would

Have happily attended the interview instead of filing from scratch

Thanks for taking the time to read my words :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.