ezzie

USC going back to Manila to study

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hoping for someone to shed light on how to go about this..

My 17 year old son recently became USC, and wanted to go back to Manila to continue college, and then come back here. He came here last July on IR2, had his oath as USC last month. We had a long talk, and he's finally decided it would be better for him to finish College in Manila. He was a freshman when he left last July. For practical purposes, I am allowing him.

My problem- we were trying to rebook his eticket in PAL for an earlier time than his December flight sched, to make it to his enrolment ( he's in a trimestral course), but PAL said we can't do this, since we used his Phil passport; we have to cancel his Phil passport first and book an exit flight from Manila going back to the US. I reasoned he is going to apply for Dual citizenship when he gets back to Manila, since if we do that here, he wont be able to get back in time for school. I know that we have to contact the Philippine Consulate for this, but I came to VJ, just in case some can give us inputs on how to go about it. The Philippine passport has just been renewed before we left last July. But I know that technically, he can no longer use it, and they dont him to use the US passport for the return ticket.

Edited by ezzie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe he has to apply in person for his first US passport. Cant really do that if he is not here. He needs to sign papers in front of the agent etc.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

You may only apply for a U.S. passport if you are already in possession of one of the following documents:

• U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. for the Two Parent Consent Requirement for Passport Issuance to Minors Under Age 16.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

You may only apply for a U.S. passport if you are already in possession of one of the following documents:

• U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. for the Two Parent Consent Requirement for Passport Issuance to Minors Under Age 16.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_4313.html

All Minors Age 16 and 17 shall:

• Appear in person at the time of application
  • Have a parent or guardian present photo identification if the minor does not have identification of his or her own
  • Provide a photocopy of the same ID document that will be presented at the time of application (applicant or parent/guardian). See photocopy requirements under STEP 4 of How to Apply for the First Time (In Person)
  • Establish parental consent (You may be requested to provide written parental consent for a child age 16 or 17 if it is not implied on the application)

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

My son has the US passport already. They dont want us to use his US Passport to rebook the return flight ( since the flight was registered using PI passport), nor use the Phil passport with this ticket, since he is technically USC. I guess they want us to purchase new tickets with the US passport, emphasizing we need exit tickets from Manila.

Thank you for the answers, guys. And Im sorry i didn't make my question clear, or did I make it more confusing? Hope you can still help me out. Unnecessary expenses for me, these things they are requiring us to do.

Filed: Timeline

My son has the US passport already. They dont want us to use his US Passport to rebook the return flight ( since the flight was registered using PI passport), nor use the Phil passport with this ticket, since he is technically USC. I guess they want us to purchase new tickets with the US passport, emphasizing we need exit tickets from Manila.

Thank you for the answers, guys. And Im sorry i didn't make my question clear, or did I make it more confusing? Hope you can still help me out. Unnecessary expenses for me, these things they are requiring us to do.

There is no "technically." The rule is quite simple. A Filipino who becomes a US citizen will lose his Filipino citizenship. The new US citizen must apply to reacquire Filipino citizenship.

Your son is no longer a Philippine citizen. He is a US citizen. He cannot use his Philippine passport because he is no longer a Philippiines citizen. He must travel on the US passport until he reacquires his Philippine citizenship.

-------------------

http://www.chicagopcg.com/dual.html

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#dual

DUAL CITIZENSHIP

Republic Act 9225 otherwise known as the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 (more popularity known as the Dual Citizenship Law) enables former natural-born Filipinos who have become naturalized citizens of another country to reacquire/retain their Philippine citizenship by taking an oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines. Upon reacquiring their Philippine citizenship, they shall enjoy full civil, economic and political rights as Filipinos.

Under the principle of derivative citizenship, unmarried children below eighteen (18) years of age, whether legitimate, illegitimate, or adopted, of those who reacquired their Philippine citizenship under this law shall also be deemed Filipino citizens.

However, there is another kind of dual citizenship, which is not covered by the law. This pertains to a dual citizen by birth: A child born in the United States when either parent was still a Filipino citizen is considered to be a dual citizen from birth.

I think you are dealing with an airline policy which is for me is BS since basically it is the same person, unless when you purchase the ticket its a discounted price only for filipinos, but even if this is the case, you should just pay the difference... However, I don't know what you can do except maybe ask for an explanation from the highest personnel you can find in the PAL office? and demand an explanation what's the difference of non-filipino passengers to filipino passengers... and then if you can't get a decent explanation, storm out of the office and tell them "IM NOT GONNA FLY PAL AGAIN!, YOU JUST LOST SOME BUSINESS!" :lol: , and mean it too!

ohh and also post this question to them. How about if a filipino who has a return ticket and in the event of his stay in America, his passport was expired and renewed it in the Philippine consulate here... will they not honor the new renewed passport since it wasn't the one he used to purchase the tickets? PAL is going down and down and down just like the London bridge... I am a filipina and I hate to see it but its the reality, they are dealing with a lot of problems back home...

I think you are dealing with an airline policy which is for me is BS since basically it is the same person, unless when you purchase the ticket its a discounted price only for filipinos, but even if this is the case, you should just pay the difference... However, I don't know what you can do except maybe ask for an explanation from the highest personnel you can find in the PAL office? and demand an explanation what's the difference of non-filipino passengers to filipino passengers... and then if you can't get a decent explanation, storm out of the office and tell them "IM NOT GONNA FLY PAL AGAIN!, YOU JUST LOST SOME BUSINESS!" :lol: , and mean it too!

This isn't an airline policy. A US citizen cannot travel on an invalid Philippines passport. A US citizen does not have the right to travel to the Philippines and enroll in college; this person needs a Philippines student visa.

You are suggesting that PAL violate Philippines laws by allowing a non-citizen to enter the Philippines and remain for more than 21 days without a valid Philippines passport or a valid visa. No airline is stupid enough to allow this.

This student needs either to reacquire his Philippines citizenship or a student visa to enter the Philippines to study. He's not going to be allowed to travel otherwise.

Edited by Jojo92122

ohh and also post this question to them. How about if a filipino who has a return ticket and in the event of his stay in America, his passport was expired and renewed it in the Philippine consulate here... will they not honor the new renewed passport since it wasn't the one he used to purchase the tickets? PAL is going down and down and down just like the London bridge... I am a filipina and I hate to see it but its the reality, they are dealing with a lot of problems back home...

A Filipino citizen with an expired Philippines passport is still a Filipino citizen. This person has not lost his Filipino citizenship.

A Filipino citizen who naturalizes as a foreign citizen is no longer a Filipino citizen regardless if the Philippines passport is valid or expired. This person is no longer a Filipino citizen and the passport becomes invalid. This person needs to reacquire Filipino citizenship.

Timeline

Hi, Jojo.

Sorry for using the word- technically.

My purpose for asking was why can't he travel using the same ticket, because it was issued in his name, and the name on the passport matches the ticket. His Dad is a Filipino citizen, and he is a minor born in the Philippines. His father will file for his Dual citizenship when he comes back.

Timeline

Also, we don't intend to let him stay in the Philippines illegally. He is planning to go back to College there, but we will see when he gets there. I am just adopting a wait and see attitude, going with the flow..He is a young man, and if he plans to stay more than 2 weeks, then we will file the necessary paperwork.

Also, we don't intend to let him stay in the Philippines illegally. He is planning to go back to College there, but we will see when he gets there. I am just adopting a wait and see attitude, going with the flow..He is a young man, and if he plans to stay more than 2 weeks, then we will file the necessary paperwork.

I am not implying that you would do anything illegal. You want him to legally return to the Philippines.

PAL is following Philippines laws in not allowing your son to travel with an invalid Philippines passport. Look at it from PAL's point of view; his travel document, the Philippines passport, is no longer valid because he lost his Philippines citizenship when he became a US citizen. While he can reacquire his Philippines citizenship, he is currently not a Philippines citizen. He has a plane ticket for entering the Philippines and no ticket to leave.

The laws of the Philippines is similar to the laws of the US. A non-citizen who may qualify for citizenship subsequently still needs a valid visa to enter the country. A child who would derive US citizenship when he enters the US still needs an immigration visa to come to the US. The fact that the child can obtain US citizenship in the future does waive the requirement for a visa. The rules are similar for the Philippines.

PAL can not let him onto the plane if he is not a Philippines citizen or holding a valid Philippine visa. He needs to reacquire his Philippines citizenship or get a visa to enter the Philippines if he wants to fly to the Philippines. If PAL lets him onto the plane, PAL will violate Philippines laws.

Edited by Jojo92122

This isn't an airline policy. A US citizen cannot travel on an invalid Philippines passport. A US citizen does not have the right to travel to the Philippines and enroll in college; this person needs a Philippines student visa.

You are suggesting that PAL violate Philippines laws by allowing a non-citizen to enter the Philippines and remain for more than 21 days without a valid Philippines passport or a valid visa. No airline is stupid enough to allow this.

This student needs either to reacquire his Philippines citizenship or a student visa to enter the Philippines to study. He's not going to be allowed to travel otherwise.

I wasn't implying that he will use the Philippine passport going back... The reason of the airline to deny him the return ticket because he registered a philippine passport when buying it earlier... of course they will use the US passport going back to PI, the OP clearly states that, thus, his question.

I just do not understand the issue of not making him avail the return ticket when its the same person who will use it, just a different documentation coz of the change of citizenship which they can explain since he underwent the process of naturalization while here.

and BTW, the OP did mention that that his son will apply for dual citizenship when he gets there, thus, nullifying the requirements to obtain a student visa.

and BTW, the 21 days doesn't apply for former filipinos please see this: http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#visa, paragraph 4

and if the OP already applied for dual citizenship, then under the principle of derivative citizenship, his son may not even have to apply for one, see this: http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#dual

and what benefits can a dual citizenship avail? please see this: http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/WEB%20MATERIALS/dual%20primer.pdf

one of the rights is to travel bearing a filipino passport.

And lastly, i know these things coz I AM A FILIPINO.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wasn't implying that he will use the Philippine passport going back... The reason of the airline to deny him the return ticket because he registered a philippine passport when buying it earlier... of course they will use the US passport going back to PI, the OP clearly states that, thus, his question.

I just do not understand the issue of not making him avail the return ticket when its the same person who will use it, just a different documentation coz of the change of citizenship which they can explain since he underwent the process of naturalization while here.

and BTW, the OP did mention that that his son will apply for dual citizenship when he gets there, thus, nullifying the requirements to obtain a student visa.

and BTW, the 21 days doesn't apply for former filipinos please see this: http://www.philippin...dc/faq-dc/#visa, paragraph 4

and if the OP already applied for dual citizenship, then under the principle of derivative citizenship, his son may not even have to apply for one, see this: http://www.philippin...dc/faq-dc/#dual

and what benefits can a dual citizenship avail? please see this: http://www.philippin...al%20primer.pdf

one of the rights is to travel bearing a filipino passport.

And lastly, i know these things coz I AM A FILIPINO.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.