ezzie

Bringing sister

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day!

I need guidance, please assist me.

I divorced my Filipino husband and recently married a US citizen.

My US husband wants to petition my children in the Philippines.

- what forms do we need to accomplish? is it I-130

- Do I need to get a custody of my children? My ex-husband (my children biological father) abandoned my children for 3 years now and nobody knows his whereabouts. My children is staying with my parents in the Philippines. Can my children travel to US with my parent? What are the documents I need to secure?

Thank you,

Confused mom

hi. I am in the same boat as you..ALMOST EXACTLY, in fact. However, I am not annulled in the Phil, but I divorced my ex while I am in the US, and then re-married.

From my research, it is the I-130 to petition the children.. And that it is better for the USC husband to petition our children..

My problem, though, is this, and I hope someone can help me out...My husband is now out of work due to recession, and I am the one now who is in a better position to provide the Affidavit of Support...If he will petition the kids, is it ok if the income is through me ( we have Joint filing of ITR). I know it may sound like a dumb question to others, but it is like life and death to me..Its hard when your kids are not with you..

thanks a lot for future replies...

Edited by ezzie

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am on the process of being USC and once approved (hopefully) I am planning on petioning for my parents. I also have 2 sisters: one is 29 years old and the other is 20 years old. I know my parents are considered "immediate relatives" so they won't have to wait too long for a visa. My sisters are a different story. I know it will take a long time for them to get a green card.

My question is: Is it going to be faster if I petition for them at the same time as my parents, just to get the ball rolling? or:

Is it better to wait for my parents to get their green cards AND THEN they sponsor my sisters?

Any answer will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

J

Hello,

I am on the process of being USC and once approved (hopefully) I am planning on petioning for my parents. I also have 2 sisters: one is 29 years old and the other is 20 years old. I know my parents are considered "immediate relatives" so they won't have to wait too long for a visa. My sisters are a different story. I know it will take a long time for them to get a green card.

My question is: Is it going to be faster if I petition for them at the same time as my parents, just to get the ball rolling? or:

Is it better to wait for my parents to get their green cards AND THEN they sponsor my sisters?

Any answer will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

J

For your situation once you have your naturalization certificate in hand - file I-130 for sisters (one each) - gets them a slot in the wait line for immigrant visa (F4, sibling of USC). Having parents petition them doesn't make much difference: F2B (unmarried sons and daughters of LPRs) is at 2003, July 1. By the time your parents arrive it will be approximately the same wait time - 10 yrs. This is if you are NOT from Philippines or Mexico - longer wait time for applicants from those countries (both cases, F2B or F4)

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.