AE1206

DS 156

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I am waiting for my K1 visa. I have one question as I just realized that I also need to also fill out a DS156 for my interview.

Here is my question: I have a sister in USA and she is there illegally. (we are half sisters but raised in the same house by same parents)

I tried to get a other kind of visa before and I said I have no one in the US. I didn't get visa but not because of this.

What should I do now. I know I have a big change to get K1 as I am living with my fiancé for 2 years already, together in europe. Should I say I have no one or should I say I have a sister. I dont wanna make any trouble to her as she has a baby and i don't wanna make them separate, but I also don't want to have to leave my fiance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

You have no choice but to answer the questions honestly. Failure to to do so can lead to your denial for a material misrepresentation, which carries a lifetime ban.

Your sister needs to either adjust her status or leave the USA, either way - but you need to be truthful to USCIS and Consulate.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You have no choice but to answer the questions honestly. Failure to to do so can lead to your denial for a material misrepresentation, which carries a lifetime ban.

Your sister needs to either adjust her status or leave the USA, either way - but you need to be truthful to USCIS and Consulate.

Agreed!

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I am waiting for my K1 visa. I have one question as I just realized that I also need to also fill out a DS156 for my interview.

Here is my question: I have a sister in USA and she is there illegally. (we are half sisters but raised in the same house by same parents)

I tried to get a other kind of visa before and I said I have no one in the US. I didn't get visa but not because of this.

What should I do now. I know I have a big change to get K1 as I am living with my fiancé for 2 years already, together in europe. Should I say I have no one or should I say I have a sister. I dont wanna make any trouble to her as she has a baby and i don't wanna make them separate, but I also don't want to have to leave my fiance.

OP-

Just to make you feel better, the odds of ICE showing up at your sister's house to deport her are fairly small. Depending on how your sister came to be in the USA illegally (overstaying a prior -vs- entering illegally) will depend on the severity of the punishment or the length of the ban for re-entry. ICE will usually not actively seek someone unless their is a warrant for their arrest and removal.

For anyone on this site to tell you to lie on your paperwork would be a violation of the terms of service for VJ and would not be doing a justice for you in the long run. Imagine how you would feel if you got away with lying at this stage of your immigration journey, then were refused AOS after you married because you lied on your original petition...

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Timeline

Ok, thank you. So I guess I will tell them that I have someone but we are not in touch which is kind of true as I am living outside my home country for over two years.

But what about my previous applications? What if they ask me, why I said before that I had no one in the US and now I am saying I do?

She went to the US 6 years ago as an Au Pair, she was legally there for 2 years.

Thanks for the help.

Timeline

Ok, thank you. So I guess I will tell them that I have someone but we are not in touch which is kind of true as I am living outside my home country for over two years.

But what about my previous applications? What if they ask me, why I said before that I had no one in the US and now I am saying I do?

She went to the US 6 years ago as an Au Pair, she was legally there for 2 years.

Thanks for the help.

They WILL ask you, it's not a matter of IF. When you are asked about any relatives here, answer honestly. The worst thing you can do is lie, be denied and banned yourself. As it is, you may have a problem because in a previous visa petition you basically misrepresented a material fact as to your sister being present in the USA.

I wish I had better news for you but these are the facts. The lie (or omission) you told before may now become a problem for you. Your best hope is that the Consulate will look past your prior lie and not hold it against you, but you need to know that the Consulate has the absolute authority to deny for any reason he sees fit - prior lies included.

Your sister has been out of status for 4 years so she faces a 10 year ban on re-entry. If I were her I'd make plans to voluntaiially leave and not have to look over her shoulder for the rest of her life - but that is a different discussion.

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I know it asks for children, but don't recall that anyone ever asked about siblings.

Timeline

Yeah I decided I am going to tell bout her, but nothing else coz i dont even know nothing else.

I am just so worry that they ask me why did I lie last time ( it was almost 2 years ago ) and now i am saying shes there

Timeline

I have another question. so all this story about my sister is true but i didnt mention that she is only my half sister ( the same mothers) but she has a last name from my dad. What if I would take some birth certificate of her or something if I say I have no family members in us, to prove i am saying true?

• 3 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.