mike42979

Can i marry in a catholic church??

17 posts in this topic

I love your picture of the class warfare kids

Danno and Beck should get trophies too because they don't even realize that there's been class warfare going on in the U.S. for years.

Ok so i am baptised catholic and my Fiancee is catholic, i was previously married and divorced Civily only and from what i have read the church doesnt recognize this as a marriage? my question is if i can still marry in the catholic church as my new future wife wants to do this and bear in mind we will also have a Civil ceremony first and later would like to do the Church ceremony in the Philippines.

Civil wedding is not considered valid by the Catholic church so yes you may have a Catholic church wedding in the Philippines as long as you comply with the other church requirements. I assume you are not planning to do this anytime soon because you're going to have a civil wedding in the US and will have to go through AOS process, but just to give you an idea, here are the general requirements:

1) Baptismal and Confirmation certificates of both the bride and groom. This must be obtained not more than 3 months before the date of marriage and should have the annotation “For Marriage Purposes Only”

2) Certified copy of your Marriage Certificate with the registry number of the county where the marriage was performed.

3) Canonical Interview with the parish priest. This is usually done one month before the wedding.

4) Pre-marriage seminar. This is usually given in the parish where you are getting married but some churches allow attendance in other pre-wedding seminars like Catholic Engaged Encounter or Discovery Weekend. You may attend the seminar either in the US or Philippines as long as you get the certificate of attendance as proof.

5) Certification of Freedom to Marry. You should obtain this from your parish priest in the US.

6) Marriage Banns. This will be provided during the canonical interview.

7) List of principal sponsors. This will have to be submitted in the parish one week before the wedding date.

There may be additional requirements if you choose to marry in a church other than the parish where your fiancée belong. It is best to plan ahead because it is not easy to plan a church wedding especially if you’re thousands of miles away from where you want it held.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.