DAAG

I-864 affidavit of support untangling question 8

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

on the I-864 affidavit of support I've seen questions but few definitive answers, because its a trick question.

question 8 which is in part 2, Info on principle immigrant, in the instructions, but in part 3, info on immigrants you are sponsoring, on the actual form; is what i consider to be the most difficult questions in the entire process, not because we don't know whether we have or are joint sponsors, or who we are sponsoring, but because it is asked in a way that defies any certainty of proper interpretation of exactly what it is they are asking, in each part of the question, and who should answer, and who shouldn't, in each part.

To understand the confusion, one has to see the question exactly as it is asked on the form. the first part of question 8. has a block to check that seems to say, if checked, I am sponsoring the principle immigrant, then without any second question, there are yes and no blocks. then, after the no block it says in parenthesis (Applies only in cases of two joint sponsors) which could apply to both yes and no or just to no. the instructions make it seem that the entire question may apply only to cases with two joint sponsors. But somehow it doesn't seem proper for the only sponsor who is also the petitioner not to at least check the first box on question 8. then question 9. clearly covers only family members of the principle immigrant listed in 9 (a-e), which clearly is in part 3 on both the instructions and on the form.

I am the petitioner and the only sponsor. i marked both the box next to the question number and the yes box, but that was just my best guess, and i have no real valid reason to trust that guess, because there is no way, that i know of, to be certain what USCIS wants there, and am about to send our AOS package to the Chicago lockbox. Does anyone know for certain how to properly answer question 8 on the I-864 affidavit of support?

On the form it looks like this:

-------------------------------------------------------

Part 2. Information on immigrant(s) you are sponsoring.

--------------------------------------------------------

8. []I am sponsoring the principle immigrant in part 2 above.

[]Yes []No(Applicable only in cases of two joint sponsors)

9. []I am sponsoring the following family members immigrating at the same time or within six months...

You answered it correctly. I answered #8 the exact way you did and my wife had no problems concerning that form.

K-1 JOURNEY
3-18-10 Mailed I-129F to CSC
3-22-10 NAO1
5-12-10 NOA2 Sent to NVC
6-11.10 Called USEM and scheduled interview appointment
7-08-09 Physical at St Lukes-Passed
7-29-10 Interview in Manila-RFE
8-16-10 Submitted requested documents
8-20-10 VISA Approved
8-24-10 VISA delivered by Air21
9-24-10 POE Guam
9-27-10 Married

AOS JOURNEY
11-15-10 Mailed AOS application to Chicago LockBox
11-17-10 Received by USCIS
11-23-10 NOA1 issued for AOS,EAD & AP
11-30-10 NOA1 hard copies received
12-18-10 Biometrics Appt. letter received
01-06-11 Biometrics in Denver, CO
01-27-11 EAD and AP approved
01-29-11 Received AP papers
02-03-11 Received EAD card
03-29-11 AOS Approved
04-07-11 Received Green Card

ROC JOURNEY
01-16-13 Mailed I-751 petition to CSC
01-23-13 Package signed for at CSC
01-23-13 NOA1
01-25-13 Check cashed
02-26-13 Biometrics

06-12-13 Approved with no RFE or interview

06-22-13 Received Green Card

I agree It is awkward the way it is presented on the I-864. We are going to send the AOS by next week. We just followed the sample form on VJ.

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

on the I-864 affidavit of support I've seen questions but few definitive answers, because its a trick question.

question 8 which is in part 2, Info on principle immigrant, in the instructions, but in part 3, info on immigrants you are sponsoring, on the actual form; is what i consider to be the most difficult questions in the entire process, not because we don't know whether we have or are joint sponsors, or who we are sponsoring, but because it is asked in a way that defies any certainty of proper interpretation of exactly what it is they are asking, in each part of the question, and who should answer, and who shouldn't, in each part.

To understand the confusion, one has to see the question exactly as it is asked on the form. the first part of question 8. has a block to check that seems to say, if checked, I am sponsoring the principle immigrant, then without any second question, there are yes and no blocks. then, after the no block it says in parenthesis (Applies only in cases of two joint sponsors) which could apply to both yes and no or just to no. the instructions make it seem that the entire question may apply only to cases with two joint sponsors. But somehow it doesn't seem proper for the only sponsor who is also the petitioner not to at least check the first box on question 8. then question 9. clearly covers only family members of the principle immigrant listed in 9 (a-e), which clearly is in part 3 on both the instructions and on the form.

I am the petitioner and the only sponsor. i marked both the box next to the question number and the yes box, but that was just my best guess, and i have no real valid reason to trust that guess, because there is no way, that i know of, to be certain what USCIS wants there, and am about to send our AOS package to the Chicago lockbox. Does anyone know for certain how to properly answer question 8 on the I-864 affidavit of support?

On the form it looks like this:

-------------------------------------------------------

Part 2. Information on immigrant(s) you are sponsoring.

--------------------------------------------------------

8. []I am sponsoring the principle immigrant in part 2 above.

[]Yes []No(Applicable only in cases of two joint sponsors)

9. []I am sponsoring the following family members immigrating at the same time or within six months...

I would just mark box 8 and leave the Y and N boxes blank, since you're the only sponsor and no other! Just my opinion but either way you should be alright with your answer!

Hold on sending the AOS package be sure you got the right address there! I've sent mine at NVC 31 Rochester Ave. Suite 100, Portsmouth NH 03801-2914 Did you print a Document Cover Sheet with Barcode? The information is there! Good luck!

09/06/07: Went to the Philippines to marry my fiancee.

11/29/07: Wedding Day!

11/30/10: Going back to US, to get my wife!

05-06/11: Sent & Received Congressman's letter & advice.

06/23/11: Found and joined... VisaJourney.com!

06/27/11: Filing “Form I-130 IR-1” and Expediting it with Humanitarian cover letter.

07/08/11: Mailed I-130 to P.O. Box 804525, Attn. EXPEDITE I-130 SPOUSE, Chicago, IL.

07/18/11: Received Hardcopy Form I-797C or NOA1 in mail, receipt date 7/13/11 and priority date 7/12/11.

08/08/11: Called USCIS 800 number to check on status.

08/23/11: Request for Expedite Approved. Received NOA2 dated 08/23/11.

09/09/11: Called NVC they got my file from USCIS.

09/13/11: Received NVC Case# & IIN# (via email) & emailed DS-3032 from PI to NVC.

09/14/11: AOS Fee Paid Online (status PAID on 9/15 also at this time IV Fee Bill Generated)

09/16/11: IV Fee Bill Paid Online (status PAID on 9/19 and printed Barcoded Coversheets)

09/20/11: Express mail both the I-864s AOS and IV DS-230 (arrived 9/21 NVC)

09/27/11: Case completed file shipped to USEManila; arrived 10/3

10/13/11: Medical passed/completed today but still NO interview date yet?

10/16/11: Called USEManila file ready! Called Appt. Services set up Interview Date for 11/9/11.

11/09/11: Interview. But had to comply with 221g, re-verification forms CENOMAR/NBI.

12/02/11: Visa approved but delivered 12/7/11.

12/12/11: POE – Detroit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I would just mark box 8 and leave the Y and N boxes blank, since you're the only sponsor and no other! Just my opinion but either way you should be alright with your answer!

Hold on sending the AOS package be sure you got the right address there! I've sent mine at NVC 31 Rochester Ave. Suite 100, Portsmouth NH 03801-2914 Did you print a Document Cover Sheet with Barcode? The information is there! Good luck!

Not correct - Mark both 8 and Yes just below it. NO applies in cases where there are two joint sponsors, so ignore NO.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.