8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just wondering if anyone else has had much trouble getting a drivers license. First time we tried, shortly after Diane arived here, they told us we had to prove she lived in Iowa. by the time we tried again, her K-1 was expired and they told us we had to have the NOA to prove we applied for residency. Once we had the NOA they told us we would have to wait until she gets her green card. When I asked if she could drive on her Philippine license they said no. But I asked the sheriff and he said that she could. However by then Dianes Philippine license had expired. Called the Philippine Consulate in Chicago to see if they could issue a new license but they told us it could only be done in the Philippines. So now it looks like we have to wait until she gets a green card. Like there isn't enough waiting in this process the way it is.

AOS

Mailed AOS & EAD to Chicago--01-18-06

Chicago Recieved----------------01-20-06

NOA-1 for AOS & EAD-----------01-28-06

RFE........................................03-04-06

Biometrics.in ST Paul.Mn..........04-15-06

2nd RFE..................................04-17-06

E-Mail notice EAD approved....05-26-06

EAD Recieved.........................05-29-06

AOS interview..........................08-18-06

Green card notice.....................01-19-07

Did you file for EAD? The DMV here recognized it as proof she was here.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Sorry .. same CR*P here in Georgia!

Timeline

01-30-06 2-Year Green Card Approved

02-11-06 2-Year Green Card Arrival

11-05-07 I-751 Petition MAILED To TSC

11-08-07 I-751 Petition RECEIVED At TSC

11-26-07 I-751 Petition Transferred to CSC and Check Cashed

12-01-07 NOA For 1-Year Extention RECEIVED from CSC

12-17-07 Biometrics Letter Received / Scheduled for 1/8/08

01-08-08 Biometrics Completed At ASC

01-08-08 Touched

01-09-08 Touched

03-26-08 10-Year GC APPROVED!!!! HOORAY!!!

04-03-08 10-Year GC ARRIVES! GC Journey Over For Another 10-Years~On To Citizenship

N-400 Application

10-15-2009 Application Filed

10-16-2009 Application Received / Lewisville, TX

10-21-2009 NOA I-797 Receipt for Application

11-10-2009 Electronic Notice of RFE For Biometrics

11-12-2009 Biometrics Letter Received

12-04-2009 Biometrics

12-17-2009 Notice That File Has Been Transferred To Local Office For Standard Interview

01-19-2010 Interview - PASSED! HOORAY!

01-20-2010 Oath for NEW U.S. Citizen! FINISHED AND DONE!

To get my license I had to produce 2 Government issued photo ID's which were my EAD and my Passport. They only issued my DL for the term of my EAD though, so I have to renew it in May.

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

To get my license I had to produce 2 Government issued photo ID's which were my EAD and my Passport. They only issued my DL for the term of my EAD though, so I have to renew it in May.

Damn! It is probably the same here, I will need to investigate. Good thing to know about, thanks.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have filed for EAD and AOS. The problem seems to be that the K-1 visa is expired. Even though I try to tell them that we are married so it shouldn't matter. Talked to the Iowa DOT people this morning. The 4th person we talked to finally told us she could get a 180 day license. But then she mentioned something about the visa being expired again. So not sure. But we were told to try again, which we will do next week. Always intereting.

AOS

Mailed AOS & EAD to Chicago--01-18-06

Chicago Recieved----------------01-20-06

NOA-1 for AOS & EAD-----------01-28-06

RFE........................................03-04-06

Biometrics.in ST Paul.Mn..........04-15-06

2nd RFE..................................04-17-06

E-Mail notice EAD approved....05-26-06

EAD Recieved.........................05-29-06

AOS interview..........................08-18-06

Green card notice.....................01-19-07

Filed: Other Timeline

Here is my experienced abt getting DL and i think depends from state to state or just luck!?

Me and My hubby went to dmv office Last Feb. 3, 06 i made an appoinment to get written test for Learners permit. I showed them my Non Prof phils. Licensed,marriage certificate,passport(with expired I-94)&Noa1 ( aos& Ead ) but they put me down and i have to wait my Ead card to take the test. That day, i feel so upset can't do anything at all bec. of the too tiring waiting process of aos&ead. But i just prayed and never lose hope. I made appoinment again last Feb. 08 went alone with my bike and the dmv office from our house is just 5-10 mins. away. I never stop praying to God that he'll give a chance to take the test till the officer keep reviewing my documents again...I feel nervous&i had cold clammy skin you could imagine that but after 15 mins of waiting there Gosh! they let me get the test bec. of my Noa1(aos). Took the test and passed it (in computer thru touch screen).It's very easy just read the book!

I paid 20 dollars for the picture id learners permit card and i'll recceive it within 2-4 weeks but they gave me temporary permit good for 30 days. I'll take the road test soon!

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

This was our experience in California.

When hubby first got his EAD, we went to DMV and got him an ID card. The ID card was good for five years -- way past the expiration date on his EAD.

Then, three years later he finally stopped procrastinating and went for his drivers license. All we had to show was his ID card -- they didn't ask for any proof of legal presence documents!! We had his GC but it was never asked for.

I guess he can now just keep renewing his DL without proving his legal presence. Interesting little system we've got in this state... I guess we're pretty "friendly" to illegal immigrants here?

BTW, all of this was post-9/11.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.