ecce

Our AOS interview

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

We got approved for the GC! But at this point we've learned to wait for the actual document before opening the champagne. Hopefully it'll come in the next few weeks. Looks like we might get the GC before the EAD or AP, but such is life.

Here's what happened at the interview: We got called almost on time, but it was only me (the U.S. citizen, not the petitioner) who got called in - the woman asked my husband to wait outside. I figured that wasn't a good sign - that they would interview us separately, but it turned out to be fine. She just asked me to describe in detail how/ where we met and became a couple. Then she asked about a previous incident he had had at the border where he was questioned. (He had trouble coming in on a tourist visa to visit shortly after we got engaged. He mentioned to them at the border he was visiting his fiance and they thought he was likely to stay...) So I had to explain that, even though we hadn't broken any rules, they just decided he was suspicious. After asking me a lot about that (I had to assure her that he didn't coerce me in to applying for the fiance visa), she called him in.

The only things she was interested in seeing was:

1) My driver's license (I got a loooong lecture because it's an out of state license, because I am a grad student...so it doesn't have our current address on it)

2)Our lease. This was a problem because the management company refused to put my husband's name on it because he doesn't have a job (because he doesn't yet have the work authorization). So we just explained that - we tried to get her to look at bills with our name on them but she wasn't interested. It turned out ok, but she kept asking if we lived in student housing (we don't) and she seemed confused by our address for some reason.

3) My husband's second passport.

She didn't want to see any pictures or bills or financial info or anything else we had prepared. She asked for awhile about my husband's studies in the U.S., and his mandatory army service, and she went through the AOS form, question by question, to make sure he answered no. Then she said she was approving the case, to make sure that the post office had his correct address (whatever this means) and we didn't have to wait for anything else.

09/02/10 Mailed I-129F

09/07/10 NOA1

03/17/11 NOA2 approved

06/06/11 Interview. Visa approved. Told we'll get visa in 7-10 days. Lies.

07/12/11 Visa in hand

07/15/11 Arrival in the U.S.

07/21/11 Marriage

07/28/11 Mailed I-485

08/03/11 NOA for I-485

08/29/11 Biometrics

10/17/11 Greencard interview. Approved.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Congrats!

======================================================================

K-1 Process

09/03/2010 - NOA1

02/02/2011 - NOA2 text message and an email (~5 months later)

04/26/2011 - Interview! Visa APPROVED and issued! yAAAy

05/20/2011 - POE: LAX

06/03/2011 - Wedding!!

07/07/2011 - Adilet got his SSN!

AOS Process

07/11/2011 - Sent our AOS package (AOS & EAD)

07/13/2011 - NOA1 text message and an email

08/09/2011 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2011 - Email notification that our interview is set for October 14.

09/23/2011 - Email notification that Adilet's EAD is in production.

10/04/2011 - EAD in hands.

10/14/2011 - Interview. GC APPROVED on the spot! Yeah!

11/01/2011 - GC in hands

04/03/2012 - Our beautiful baby girl is born!

event.png

Congratulations!!!

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

zzflag019.gif united-states-flag.gif

03/31/2010 filed I129

12/16/2010 Interwiew-Approved

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

05/23/2011 AOS,EAD,AP apps sent

07/15/2011 EAD, AP approved

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.