TeapotGirl

Divorce Decree Question

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance is in OH and was divorced 20yrs ago. We got a ordinary copy of his divorce decree but I told him to get the certified true copy of his 10 pages divorce decree and he was told that "he only needs the 6 pages of it", the guy seems certain because he had done it thousand times when my fiance is insisting to give him all the pages. the part where everybody signs, stamped dry sealed plus, he needs something else on top of that (he can't tell me what's the name of it). The guy said that the divorce decree doesn't make any sense because he could have remarried between 1991-2011 specially when marrying a foreigner.

Any thoughts? For those fiancee's or fiance of a divorcee, ever heard something like it?

Happy New Year!

My fiance is in OH and was divorced 20yrs ago. We got a ordinary copy of his divorce decree but I told him to get the certified true copy of his 10 pages divorce decree and he was told that "he only needs the 6 pages of it", the guy seems certain because he had done it thousand times when my fiance is insisting to give him all the pages. the part where everybody signs, stamped dry sealed plus, he needs something else on top of that (he can't tell me what's the name of it). The guy said that the divorce decree doesn't make any sense because he could have remarried between 1991-2011 specially when marrying a foreigner.

Any thoughts? For those fiancee's or fiance of a divorcee, ever heard something like it?

i'm not sure if the same document is required or available but I got an RFE and asked for a " divorce certificate" that was the only piece they want. hope this helps

Terri

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Timeline

i'm not sure if the same document is required or available but I got an RFE and asked for a " divorce certificate" that was the only piece they want. hope this helps

Terri

#######? I thought it's either divorce decree or divorce cert is ok.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

#######? I thought it's either divorce decree or divorce cert is ok.

I sent my final divorce order which stated the my divorce was final but they want the certificate that actually states the date you are officially free to marry as our divorces are such that there is a waiting time of 31 days from the time we are divorced before we are free to marry.

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Timeline

I am also from Ohio. I am the petitioner. I am also divorced. I used a VISA service to give me intructions and review my I-129f and they stated in no uncertain terms that for the I-129f I was to submit the entire divorce decree document. For I-129f, a copy of the original divorce decree was sufficient.

From what I read and understand, for the K-1 visa interview, a true certified copy of the original divorce decree is required and that is what I'm sending.

I have never heard of what you mention in your post.

Why not have your fiance just send a certified copy (in Cuyahoga county that is all you're going to get anyway - don't know if your fiance is from here but its all you get here) and then you don't have to worry about it. It seems to be what the successful interview candidates have used. I'm following suit.

Hope this helps and best wishes in your interview!

10/17/2008 - First Contact via message in CB

03/15/2009 - Engaged

05/15/2009 - First meeting in person (I traveled to Philippines)

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

12/08/2011 - Interview - Approved!

12/20/2011 - VISA in hand! (Never showed up in 2go online tracking!)

01/04/2012 - POE San Francisco(SFO)I met her there.

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

02/14/2012 - Married Valentine's Day 2012!

05/04/2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP packages via FedEx ground

07/26/2012 - EAD/AP Combo card received

"TeddyHoney and SqueezyBear"

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Timeline

If this helps any, my certificate of divorce paper is signed by the judge with the raised state seal showing it is original court paper and stamped as a certified true copy by clerk of court. I also included the disposition page. It passed the petition stage and the guy that is helping me with all this says it is all I need for interview. Jim

Timeline

I am also from Ohio. I am the petitioner. I am also divorced. I used a VISA service to give me intructions and review my I-129f and they stated in no uncertain terms that for the I-129f I was to submit the entire divorce decree document. For I-129f, a copy of the original divorce decree was sufficient.

From what I read and understand, for the K-1 visa interview, a true certified copy of the original divorce decree is required and that is what I'm sending.

I have never heard of what you mention in your post.

Why not have your fiance just send a certified copy (in Cuyahoga county that is all you're going to get anyway - don't know if your fiance is from here but its all you get here) and then you don't have to worry about it. It seems to be what the successful interview candidates have used. I'm following suit.

Hope this helps and best wishes in your interview!

He sent just a regular copy of the divorce decree on the application, just got NOA1 text earlier. I told my fiance to get Cert True copy of it because I know for sure, I am going to need it on my interview. I am not sure if you have a different ruling there when it comes to issuance of divorce decree, for petitioning or preparation for getting married. Why just 6 out of 10 pages?

I am just kinda bothered that we may get an RFE for not providing that extra paper that the guy in the Clerk County is talking about. I am hoping it will just be asked on the interview.

(OMG, I got a buddy now in the area!)

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Timeline

If this helps any, my certificate of divorce paper is signed by the judge with the raised state seal showing it is original court paper and stamped as a certified true copy by clerk of court. I also included the disposition page. It passed the petition stage and the guy that is helping me with all this says it is all I need for interview. Jim

That's what i am expecting but the weird part there is that,my fiance is just being provided with 6 out of 10 pages of the divorce decree (CERT TRUE COPY), and then there's this mystery additional paper- said Divorce Decree isn't enough :innocent:

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Timeline

He sent just a regular copy of the divorce decree on the application, just got NOA1 text earlier. I told my fiance to get Cert True copy of it because I know for sure, I am going to need it on my interview. I am not sure if you have a different ruling there when it comes to issuance of divorce decree, for petitioning or preparation for getting married. Why just 6 out of 10 pages?

I am just kinda bothered that we may get an RFE for not providing that extra paper that the guy in the Clerk County is talking about. I am hoping it will just be asked on the interview.

(OMG, I got a buddy now in the area!)

Yes I am not far from that area. I agree that no matter what that guy says your fiance should go to the county courthouse or wherever they keep such records and get a certified copy of the entire divorce decree and send that to you for your interview. The regular copy that was sent with I-129f package is fine. I also sent a regular copy of my divorce decree , one that I made myself, and sent with our I-129f. I did not get an RFE. But I sent the entire document and mine is 20 pages!

I hope your fiance sent copy of the entire divorce decree with the I-129f petition, cuz that is what they require. If he didn't and only sent the 6 pages then its possible, I'm not saying you will, but its possible you might get RFE. And if you do just send the entire decree. Should only cost you a few days, maybe a week. IF you get RFE.

Doesn't matter what the lawyer guy or whoever he is says. It only matters what USCIS and USEM requires. You have to satify them and meet their requirments - not the lawyer guy's.

Hope all goes well!

10/17/2008 - First Contact via message in CB

03/15/2009 - Engaged

05/15/2009 - First meeting in person (I traveled to Philippines)

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

12/08/2011 - Interview - Approved!

12/20/2011 - VISA in hand! (Never showed up in 2go online tracking!)

01/04/2012 - POE San Francisco(SFO)I met her there.

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

02/14/2012 - Married Valentine's Day 2012!

05/04/2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP packages via FedEx ground

07/26/2012 - EAD/AP Combo card received

"TeddyHoney and SqueezyBear"

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Timeline

no matter what that guy says your fiance should go to the county courthouse or wherever they keep such records

I think the guys is from County courthouse. He lives in Bay Village.

I hope your fiance sent copy of the entire divorce decree with the I-129f petition

Yes he did. All pages. I just don't understand this additional mystery paper that may result a RFE. When you received your cert true copy, were you provided with all 20pages? He said they charge you per page.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

That's what i am expecting but the weird part there is that,my fiance is just being provided with 6 out of 10 pages of the divorce decree (CERT TRUE COPY), and then there's this mystery additional paper- said Divorce Decree isn't enough :innocent:

It could be lost/misplace by them? My fiance submitted his divorce decree for 1 page, however we still got an RFE as they need a seal in a true cerified copy.

Let him ask the court where are the rest of the copies. Or if your fiancé have the copies with him, present this to the court and say "here the copies I'm talking about" :bonk: and then at least to put seal on it...Then it will be ok... :innocent:

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][i]
[/i][/color][/size] [size="5"]God Bless![/size]
[size="5"]BobGee[/size][/font]

[u]AOS TIMELINE:[/u]

01-30-2012: Submitted AOS application thru USPS (Chicago Lockbox)
02-06-2012: Received Text/Email, application received by USCIS
02-10-2012: Received mail/hard copy of I-131 (NOA)
02-15-2012: Received mails/hard copies of I-765 & I-485 (NOAs) / Mail for Biometrics Appt.
03-06-2012: Biometrics Appointment done
03-14-2012: Received mail for Interview Appt on 16th April 2012.
04-04-2012: EAD/AP approved
04-12-2012: EAD/AP card received ;-)
04-16-2012: Interview day - Approved! (waiting for GC)
04-23-2012: Welcome Letter touched
05-03-2012: GC on hand!

[b][color="#ff8c00"]*** Thank You LORD! ***[/color][/b][b][color="#ff8c00"]

[url="http://www.ezticker.com/"]
[img]http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/100/202/20120130/AOS/ticker.png[/img]
[/url][/color][/b]

Timeline

It could be lost/misplace by them? My fiance submitted his divorce decree for 1 page, however we still got an RFE as they need a seal in a true cerified copy.

I think you got an RFE for sending just the first page, not because its a regular photocopy. However, you need the Cert Copy on your interview

It can't be lost.I think he's concerned about the price, because it's like $1.40 per page and the guy said that the reviewers are only checking for the signatures, stamps, seal...but no matter what, he needs to get all the pages :bonk::devil:

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think the guys is from County courthouse. He lives in Bay Village.

Yes he did. All pages. I just don't understand this additional mystery paper that may result a RFE. When you received your cert true copy, were you provided with all 20pages? He said they charge you per page.

I think you might be hung up on the total number of pages of the decree. What is important is the divorce decree be a certified copy from the county, with the embossed county seal, signed by the judge and dated. With the date that shows both parities to the dissolved marriage are restored to "status" of a single person, that is the important page. The government does not care about all of the attachments that deal with how any personal and real property was handled.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

We submitted 10 pages of the divorce decree but the clerk county said it's really 20+. We are only provided with 10pages by the law office of the scanned copy so we thought that's all it is. I am expecting an RFE, What a disaster!

Happy New Year!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.