spikedog

Helping her to adjust to life here

57 posts in this topic

Darren you make it sound like piney women still live in 14th century. Plus when a woman knows,she knows what to expect and what not to expect.I bet ops young bride will not even care about the lack of rice

I have never met a piany yet that rice was not a big part of her adjusting to the US

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I have never met a piany yet that rice was not a big part of her adjusting to the US

It's not just pin ays, I'm suffering the lack of rice as well,but it has nothing to do with how I feel or think about America and how I'm adjusting.when you see there is not enough resources here to make the same foods as you did back home,you kinda move on and try to get over it. Then again dErren has a history if being overbearing and providing more than necessary

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Aloha All

Kumusta?

For us its been almost 2 weeks. I think all is going well, we have been very busy finishing build and furnish on a tight budget our new small house.

She did not like the Kikkoman soysauce I like so we found some silver swan, and some other Filipino goodies. Last week we went went fishing at a Tilapia farm, she was very happy. She cleaned and cooked them, was very good aside from the bones.

I introduced her to a Filipina neighbor and she was over there for hours. At walmart she met a Filipino family from Bohol and some filipina of similar age, they have been on facebook and yahoo.

The Skype to PH cell calling is working very well but keeping the calls short at 18c a minute.

Her 3yo daughter and my 7yo son play a lot together and she is less and less shy every day to me.

Its been cold here 70s, wind and rain so we snuggle a lot, its very nice to have each other.

I ask her if she is happy here and she says OO, 1000 percent

So far So good. Now to pay off all the bills Huhuhuhuhu hehhehe

Good Luck to us all

Happy

“The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Fun read!

Yup on the rice cooker, bought one within the week of me getting back from the Phils, I am a big rice eater anyway so can't believe I never bought one before. :yes:

Cooking is one of my pleasures so big thing for me is to learn more recipes Amy enjoys.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP

2009/12/30 - Met online

2010/03/27 - 1st Visit to the Phils

2010/04/03 - Left the Phils back to the US

2010/05/__ - Engagement (unofficial)

2010/07/19 - Filed I-129F

2010/07/27 - Check cleared

2010/08/21 - 3rd Call to USCIS call center, finally got our Case #, still no mail

2010/09/01 - NOA1 official date

2010/09/07 - NOA1 received, FINALLY!!!

2010/10/06 - Touched (expedite request callback from USCIS, giving us the requirements)

2010/10/07 - Finally got the papers from the doctor and submitted requirements for expedite

2010/10/07 - Touched with callback

2010/10/14 - USCIS website says it's APPROVED!!! mailed

2010/10/19 - received at NVC

2010/10/21 - NVC sent documents to the US Embassy in Manila

2010/10/23 - 2nd Visit the the Phils, touchdown in Manila & flight to Samar, Pamamanhikan for brunch, Engagement Party for dinner

2010/10/24 - Picnic with close family and friends

2010/10/25 - Engagement Party with family in Manila

2010/10/26 - Leave the Phils back to the US

2010/11/22 - Interview at the US Embassy in Manila - VISA APPROVED!!!

2010/12/30 - POE in Las Vegas. TOGETHER AT LAST!

2011/03/06 - Married in Las Vegas

2011/05/03 - AOS, EAD & AP filing date

2011/05/11 - NOA1 for all

2011/05/24 - successful walk-in biometrics (originally 6/10)

2011/06/20 - got online status update and hardcopy of interview appointment dated 6/16 but scheduled for 7/26

2011/07/22 - AP approved, EAD card in production

2011/07/26 - AOS interview. RFE coz they LOST MY MEDICAL!!! GRRR!

2011/07/30 - EAD/AP combo card in the mail

2011/10/21 - finally got my GREENCARD after several complaints all over the place

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I yanked all the seats and tanks off my toilets and bought a karaokee machine. I've got a tub of water in the garage for breeding mosquitos, gave the washer and dryer to goodwill and Im paying a neighborhood kid

to stand outside our window and yell "B A L U T"

LMAO to dam funny

• 6 months later...
Timeline

Even though I am laughing at these, I can understand.. We're still months away, but I won't to be prepared for her here. My biggest concern is the weather. Her reord lw is warmer than our normal high. I'll bring her coats when I get he, but am concerned about daylight. She told me two things. Don't worry about the house she will clean it and that I had to get a new bed because she would not sleep in the one my ex slept in.

January 15, 2012 met on line

April 18, 2012 met in person in Cebu

April 20, 2012 proposed

May 28, 2012 filed K1

June 6, 2012 received email K1 accepted.

August 28, 2012 NOA2 approved!!!!!!!

September 21, 2012 went back for vist number 2

Had a wonderful time!

Interview set for November 6

Flying out November 3 to be together

Arrived November 4

November 6, 2013 interview and approved

November 14, 2013 picked up visa!

November 29, 2013 arrived in Anchorage

November 30, 2013 applied for marriage license

December 15, 2013 civil wedding

February 16, 2013 AOS filed

February 23, 2013 NOA 1 reviewed

April 4, 2013 Biometric appointment

May 9, 2013 AOS intervie

May 9, 2013 Approved ap, ead and green card

May 18, 2013 received Green Card, EAD and AP in mail

Timeline

Even though I am laughing at these, I can understand.. We're still months away, but I won't to be prepared for her here. My biggest concern is the weather. Her reord lw is warmer than our normal high. I'll bring her coats when I get he, but am concerned about daylight. She told me two things. Don't worry about the house she will clean it and that I had to get a new bed because she would not sleep in the one my ex slept in.

Hahaha, as AK is one of my favorite places to go, I just explained to her Alaska with the weather and daylight in the winter. She said no problem for the winter stretch with no sunlight, she would get very white then.. Got to love what their thinking sometimes... But yes that woulod be a tough place in the winter.

To the rest of this thread, this is alot of great info.. Even though she isnt in the US yet, we have already lived together and come across many of these things together living in the same house. We have both looked over this thread the last hour, talking, sharing examples and stories. Here is one thing that makes a lot of sense that we have just discussed:

She has met my father, my oldest son, many of my friends both filipino/american from my former job. And what she thought she might struggle with a bit, as her seeing herself as she stated" I don't know where I put myself".... Her meaning by examples - if maybe freinds of mine will be coming over to the house to meet her when she get's there, she would feel that they are above her and she would'nt feel comfortable to open up and talk to them. Same as with my father and my son when they came, at different times, she was very shy and uncomfortable. Even though they were very warm to her and nice. Same with some of my friends that we hang out in the phils, she feels that even though they get along very well, she looks up to them and maybe a little uncomfortable.. But she say's her and I are exactly the same, which is whats important to us.. I even gave her a bump higher on the same same scale and she said no, lol... It's just the different culture, different thought process and the way she was raised.

I am also waiting to buy things for us when she gets there. I want us to experience this together and see what she likes and what she wants to do. I have put off getting a new place to live as well, because I want her to be a part of that process. Of course its up to her too...

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

This might be optimistic, but I want to ask now anyway. Our interview is Friday and I have a normal case, so I feel that it is pretty sure that we will be seeing each other by the end of this month. My question(s) are: Besides cleaning my house like crazy, corralling my dogs, and being a loving and understanding fiance', What are some things I can do to make her transition easier?

I am asking some of the couples that have been through this successfully.

Thanks,

Jim

[/quote

Rice man.. Lot's of rice.... Go to Sams and get a huge bag. Jasmine rice.. 1 nice rice cooker

My wife who I love dearly, found an old thumb drive I had forgotten about with some very incriminating pictures of one of my old Girlfriends posed on our bed. She got a whole new boardroom suite.

My wife who I love dearly, found an old thumb drive I had forgotten about with some very incriminating pictures of one of my old Girlfriends posed on our bed. She got a whole new boardroom suite.

Ah yes, be very careful with those old pictures. I had cleaned out all my old photos of my ex. But I had some stuff in storage though. Some was mine, some was stuff I have stored for my mother. Guess what showed up in those boxes? Pictures of my ex. Talk about trouble. Since then I've gone through all the old stored boxes searching for pictures that might include my ex. Yes I found more of them, pictures I had no idea were stored in boxes of mainly junk I've stored and neglected for years and years. My wife noticed in some of the photo books there were empty locations, she looked at me and said your ex, I just smiled and said maybe it was, I don't remember :whistle:

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.