Frenchy

Got Approved: Now What?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

When I filed my original application for the Green Card, my lawyer told me to hang on to all my documents. Then he repeated that comment for my RFE stuff. I still have ALL of it. And on top of it, I have my Removal of Conditions documents too. Should I still hang on to this stuff? If so, for how long? What have you guys done with all this old paperwork? I just hate having all this stuff laying around in a file, you never know what can happen if say I get broken into and it lands in the wrong hands, Everything is there for great and easy identity theft!

MY Conditions Removal Timeline:

CIS Office: California

2011-05-16: Date Filed

2011-05-17: NOA Date

2011-06-14: Bio. Appt.

2011-09-21: Email confirming approval

2011-09-26: GC Received ツ

MY AOS Timeline:

2008-11-05: Date Filed

2008-11-14: NOA Date

2009-01-26: Bio. Appt.

2009-05-07: Interview Date

2009-05-14: RFE Received

2009-06-03: RFE Returned

2009-07-27: GC Received

When I filed my original application for the Green Card, my lawyer told me to hang on to all my documents. Then he repeated that comment for my RFE stuff. I still have ALL of it. And on top of it, I have my Removal of Conditions documents too. Should I still hang on to this stuff? If so, for how long? What have you guys done with all this old paperwork? I just hate having all this stuff laying around in a file, you never know what can happen if say I get broken into and it lands in the wrong hands, Everything is there for great and easy identity theft!

you can rent a lockbox at your bank and lock all those papers in, but before you do that if you think you may need those files to look for something and you want to have them instantly instead of going to the bank then you can also scan all the documents, make it just one big pdf file. Now, if you are a control freak like myself then encode the content (there are a couple of free softwares, you can just google it and choose the one that has good reviews) and then zip the encoded file, finally you can save that zipped pdf file on a flash drive or your computer. Well, what if you lose the flash drive or your computer gets stolen, nothing is predictable. However, I am considering getting a lockbox.

Edited by angus28

Get a fireproof safe/box, i am sure you have other stuff that could be put in there as well, not too expensive, available in a variety of sizes.

Timeline

Wow. So we really do need to keep all that stuff then? For how long???

MY AOS Timeline:

Timeline

...and if I never become a US citizen? Keep them forever? Sorry to sound so stupid, but at least tax documents can be destroyed after a number of years!

MY AOS Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

...and if I never become a US citizen? Keep them forever? Sorry to sound so stupid, but at least tax documents can be destroyed after a number of years!

Government will keep it (ALL of it!) for at least your lifetime. Shouldn't you? Why does it seem to be strange for you? I still keep my I-20 from my very first student visa 12 years ago. I can give you one practical reason to keep it - I cannot remember all the information in there - the exact dates I entered USA, when I graduated, etc. In the future when you will file various forms you will need the exact information (visa numbers, dates, etc.) do you really want to risk it to rely on your memory and provide potentially wrong information on government forms. Remember - they will have all the information on you for an easy cross-check. Edited by DrVS

you can find a similar topic to yours on US citizenship forum, that is where I got two years from, but if you are to renew your GC every ten year, I think you should keep your documents for at least ten years..

Edited by angus28

Filed: Timeline

You are going to lose nothing by saving those documents! Method of safeguarding them is up to your discretion. As suggested above, you can keep them for at least the time of expiry of your green card as you will be asked a fresh set of documents while renewing your green card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.