dchris

Police Clearance help!!!!

14 posts in this topic

please help me..I am confused which one to get for PCC..is it finger printing or the CPIC ? thanks for your attention and reply:-)

If you've never committed a crime or have any other charges, then all you need is the name check that checks the CPIC.

You can get a Police Check at your local police station, just make sure they annotate on it somewhere that CPIC was checked.

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We got a PCC from our local police station and it didn't annotate CPIC but rather the 'National Criminal Record Repository' and NVC is saying they won't accept it. But their own website gives the following instructions which we meet:

Applicants may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicant's name and date of birth."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9013

For this reason we requested a supervisor review the our PCC again because according to the Toronto Police, the PCC they issued to us is standard for immigration purposes. They said that CPIC is a database that National Criminal Record Repository uses, so their one entity.

Timeline

We got a PCC from our local police station and it didn't annotate CPIC but rather the 'National Criminal Record Repository' and NVC is saying they won't accept it. But their own website gives the following instructions which we meet:

Applicants may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicant's name and date of birth."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9013

For this reason we requested a supervisor review the our PCC again because according to the Toronto Police, the PCC they issued to us is standard for immigration purposes. They said that CPIC is a database that National Criminal Record Repository uses, so their one entity.

Hey girumg, I'm interested to see how that turns out for your. My spouse also got a PCC from her local police station but didn't get it annotated for CPIC. Did you get a checklist from NVC saying they won't accept the PCC? Any update from the supervisor review? I'm afraid I might have to go through the same thing.

Thanks for you info.

*** moved from IR1/CR1 process and procedures to Canada regional forum as question is regionally specific ***

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hey girumg, I'm interested to see how that turns out for your. My spouse also got a PCC from her local police station but didn't get it annotated for CPIC. Did you get a checklist from NVC saying they won't accept the PCC? Any update from the supervisor review? I'm afraid I might have to go through the same thing.

Thanks for you info.

Well we just heard great news from NVC this morning that our case is complete!!!

And yes they sent us a checklist but the supervisor that was dealing with our case said to ignore it and that it wasn't relevant since we had a PCC already. The issue was confirming if whether the PCC they had on file for us met their requirements.

Less than a week starting from July 4th, 2013, here is a detailed breakdown of what happened:

When we first called to check the status of our case if whether the DS-260 supporting documents were reviewed or not, they told us they got everything except the PCC so we emailed it again per their instruction and called the next day to check the status. When we called, the first line reps kept telling us that we had to wait another 20 business days until the resent PCC would be reviewed and we just could not accept the unfairness of that. After persistently asking to speak to a supervisor, they finally transfered us to Julie (she was very helpful btw) to find that they actually had our PCC this whole time but it was unacceptable. The sad thing was, whoever reviewed our case failed to make a note for the first line reps that they actually received the PCC but it was not accepted and could have avoided emailing the PCC again. Getting back to speaking to Julie, she pulled up all the documents we sent and she then referred us to their website to read their specific instructions.(http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9013) So we read it while she was on the phone and also had our PCC in front of us and told her we did meet the requirements. She insisted that it should annotate CPIC on the certificate. She said that she will request the department that reviews cases to review it again but in the mean time try getting a PCC that annotates CPIC.

We called our local police first thing in the morning and stated exactly what NVC told us and they said after having us read the certificate to the rep at the police service center. She said it was the right and only kind they issued and that the National Criminal Records Repository which was annotated on our PCC uses the CPIC database and that their ONE entity. Also, if NVC wanted to confirm, she gave us a number they could call. So with that information, we called NVC immediately after to inform them of this new information we received from our local police and that there was no other PCC that they issue. So we requested we speak to a supervisor (initially, the first line rep said no, but we insisted and we got through to one) The supervisor said that Julie put in a request already and we have to wait 10-15 business days which we didn't buy because Julie said to call her Wednesday July 10th, after 4pm. So we gave her the updated information to pass on to Julie. We called NVC again later on in the evening to speak to Julie because she gets in after 4pm and when we did, she said that our PCC was in fact correct and will email the department that reviewed our case to fix the issue asap. We repeatedly said that our case could have been completed earlier if NVC hadn't overlooked their own guidelines for PCC and that it was completely their fault. We also asked if they could squeeze us in for an interview in August since we were told they were only booking for September since August was full.

After all said and done, we felt vindicated by hearing that our PCC was accepted this morning and our case was complete. We plan on calling Julie after 4pm today and pushing for an interview in August.

One thing we've had to learn sadly was that first line reps have limited information because those reviewing the cases don't pass on accurate and complete information to them. For that reason, it is imperative that you request to speak to a supervisor. If you have to persist then do so, or you'll just keep waiting for nothing and ultimately prolong your processing time.

Hope this helps.

You realize they can only give you an August interview date if there is actually one available from Montreal?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Ya, we're well aware of that, but we're hoping for one in August. In fact, it was brought to our attention by a supervisor that they are currently booking interview dates for August and we could be in that batch. Due to their incompetence, our case was delayed for a couple of weeks.

You realize they can only give you an August interview date if there is actually one available from Montreal?

Timeline

Ya, we're well aware of that, but we're hoping for one in August. In fact, it was brought to our attention by a supervisor that they are currently booking interview dates for August and we could be in that batch. Due to their incompetence, our case was delayed for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for you detailed info girumg. Congrats on the case complete and I hope you get an interview date soon.

Well hope you do then.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Did u get CPIC after applying online.

if yes, please help me to find it out how to apply and get it soon.

Thanx

Thanks so much for the reply. I had the RCMP finger print clearance but expired last August :-( I will apply online for the CPIC today. THanks again, this is really helpful!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.