nastja

Student visa

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi! :)

So instead of flying into marriage (I am only nineteen and my boyfriend is about to turn twenty), I decided to apply to a college in the US. I have always wanted to study abroad and this is a perfect opportunity. I will be able to see him every day, because we will be going to the same college and I will be living with his family.

But I am kind of worried they won't grant me a visa, because I will be living with him (especially if I tell he is my boyfriend). I am not very well informed about this process, because I have read hardly anything about it, so if anyone has something to tell or share, please do it.

I am also worried, because the college I'm applying to isn't one of the best ones, will it be suspicious? I can't afford a good college and the one I'm applying to doesn't even require TOEFL tests or anything. All you have to do is take COMPASS and MUNOZ tests when you get there so they put you in the right class for English (if your English is not good enough you have to take like 21 credit hours of English class).

Thank you guys for help. What do you think I should do about the residence thing? Do you have to tell who you're living with or do you just have to tell the address and they won't ask further questions?

;3

Edited by nastja

my lover is mine and i am his.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You need to make sure the school actually does Student visas and is part of that program. If not then you cant go there.

You have to prove you make enough money to support yourself and afford your schooling fees. You also have to prove your already accepted to the school.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

what i once read before, the college you are aiming for SHOULD ACCEPT YOU FIRST (you basically have to reach them online) and then that'll be the only time you can apply for a student visa.

the immigration should know where exactly you're heading before they even make their decision.

now about you living with your bf's family(or w/your boyfriend), i don't really think it'll be too much of a fuss for the government, you just really have to show them through your documents, (i.e. financial support, bank statement of yours or your parents) that you are financially secured and can provide the everyday expenses so they won't look at you as a liability in their country. i guess the best thing you could do once they set you an interview or when they ask you about your accommodation, tell them that these people are your family friends.. you and his family have known each for quite a long time.. something like that..

as long as you can provide your daily expenses and or financially secured, and as long as you can provide them a legit answer about where will you be accommodating, they won't look at any angles anymore.

and then probably after you being there after a few months, then the 2 of you could married already :P

goodluck :)

Edited by la2012

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

just a heads up, some schools require a sponsor to have so much money in their bank, and they do specifically ask if you are staying with a boyfriend/girlfriend (a friend of mine did school in the US and i was shocked that even thought they were getting a Cdn loan (OSAP) they were required to have a sponsor with XXX amount of money...

Good luck

Part of the advice you've gotten here so far is very good,and part of it.. Well, not as good.

Yes, you have to first be accepted to a school that is SEVP approved. You can find a list of those schools on ICE website. So I'd advise you to first make sure this college you plan to attend is in fact SEVP accredited.

If it is, then you apply, and once you've been approved, you can start the actual F1 visa application process. As a part of that process, you will need to show ties to your home country to prove you are not planning to immigrate to the US, but in fact plan on returning to Slovenia once you are finished with your studies. This is the part where the American boyfriend may become an additional challenge. It will be hard to hide him, since you will also have to prove you have the necessary finances to pay for your studies and life expenses while in the US. As you plan to live with your boyfriends family, this will affect your living expenses, and it will come out in the forms. You also should not - under no circumstances - lie about the situation. If you are not directly asked about an American boyfriend, you do not need to bring him up, but if that question arises in the interview you have to be honest. They will most likely ask you what your connection is to this American family that is willing to offer you their home for several years - so hiding the fact that you have an American boyfriend is not gonna work.

However, it doesn't mean you cannot get an F1 visa. My current husband was my boyfriend when I applied for my F1 visa about three years ago, and I was honest about this at my interview as he was also my sponsor, and I was still issued a visa. It may be an additional challenge though, so you should be prepared to show plenty of proof of ties to Slovenia.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

It's hard to show strong ties at your age, there's no way around that.. If I remember correctly, I provided a letter from my employer at that time stating that they would be happy to consider rehiring me after my studies, a letter from a professor stating that I had been considering studying abroad since she had known me (before I met my boyfriend) to show that my only motivation was not my american bf and stating that the degree programs in the field I was interested in (international affairs, socio-economic development and human rights) were very limited in Finland, I had letters from two banks stating I had accounts opened in them with loans, and a statement written by me in which I explained my interests in coming to the US to study and explained reasoning as to why it would not make sense for me to stay here after graduation (and look at me now..).

I had no problems. Then again, I am from Finland - and it's no secret that the Scandinavians probably have it the easiest when it comes to obtaining any sorts of visa to the US, immigrant or non-immigrant. No one thinks we are coming here in pursuit of a better life and plan to illegally stay or immigrate.

You need to show why you'd have to return to Slovenia after your studies. Maybe there's a regional forum where people can inform you more about how challenging it is to get a student visa in your part of the world, that's something I would not know about. Might not be hard at all, or it might be very difficult. Having an american boyfriend will most definitely make it more challenging.

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

Well I will be working for the whole year (so I might be able to obtain an employer's letter, which would be great. does it have to be notarized and everything?). I will also contact my high school teachers, I'll be fine I think :) But more information is welcome of course.

So after you got married, did you have to go back to Finland (and petition for a spouse visa or is the process different if you're already in the US on a student visa)?

my lover is mine and i am his.

It's a different process.. But better cross that bridge when you get to it, to not complicate things unnecessarily at this point. Focus on the F1 visa, and once you are here and you've gotten a chance to figure out if and when you might want to marry, look into the next steps at that point. I would not start thinking about that part quite yet.

I'm responding to posts 3 and 5 and to Little_My's comment: However, it doesn't mean you cannot get an F1 visa. My current husband was my boyfriend when I applied for my F1 visa about three years ago, and I was honest about this at my interview as he was also my sponsor, and I was still issued a visa. My girlfriend (who I am trying to sponsor) was denied a visa today at her interview. We were honest about everything, but the CO didn't even ask for anything that would prove my ability to pay nor her ties to her country. If you ask me, my country has a real racket going...140 app fee + 200 Sevis + 10 (or more) for the appt. times 1000 per day times 5 days per week is a cool 1.75 million a week. Good job guys...make foreigners go home feeling ripped off. Back to the subject- I think what happens in the interview highly depends on the CO. Also, what is the best way to appeal this decision? I'm pissed because I'm in a public position and it's impossible for me to hide an "immigrant." I don't feel that she was given a fair interview.

No, it does not mean she cannot get a visa - my current husband was also my boyfriend, and my sponsor when I got my F1, I was honest about it and had no problems getting my visa. People who apply for student visas and have boyfriends/girlfriends in the US should still expect to go through more scrutiny and should be prepared to show more ties to their home countries. And, as unfair as it may seem, the home country of the student visa applicant makes a huge difference.

What was the reason given to your friend regarding the visa denial? Insufficient ties?

As far as I can tell, there was no reason given. She said they had her wait an hour to get some paper that probably said her visa was rejected- she said they threw some papers away and she knows very little English, so she might not have been able to read it. We both knew very little of the process, so she didn't know to keep papers. From what she said that they had asked in the interview, they didn't even try to determine ties to the home country. She had gotten together a lot of different things to show the home ties and they didn't ask for any of it. She left feeling ripped off because of time and money spent. I feel that way too. Also, it seems she might have gotten the visa had she lied about our relationship. It really pisses me off that at a time when the US claims to be cracking down on illegal immigration that they mistreat those who want to enter legally. Anyways, any suggestions on appealing this? Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Which country is she from? What is her planned course of study? If she knows very little English, the CO might see that as a reason to deny the visa because all the coursework would be in a language she is not proficient in. Was the interview conducted in English? If the CO didn't even look at home ties, it suggests that they made up their mind very early on not to give her the visa.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is no appealing a student visa. You address the issues that led to the denial in the first place and try again. Also, NEVER EVER lie in any part of the visa process because it could well come back to haunt you. If she had lied about the true nature of your relationship and had gotten the visa, and if the lie was discovered later on, she could face severe consequences.

Personally, I don't think they mistreated her. A visa, student or otherwise, is a benefit granted to foreigners by the US government. It is not a right, nor is it a privilege and it should not be expected. They have guidelines and rules and to obtain that benefit, you have to abide by them. Granted a CO's authority is very arbitrary but I can understand why they might deny her if her English is poor. I'm sorry this happened and I wish her the best of luck in her future applications.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

Hey guys I'm sort of in a similar situation, my girlfriend is trying to get her F-1 to study here and we'll live together, a little different in that her parents are sponsoring her and through future inheritance she has ties to her country, my question is with Facebook being such a major part of our world today should any steps be taken to help her chances? Such as changing our relationship status? To summarize the situation she has financial backing as well as documentation of ties to her home country but we are listed on Facebook as a couple and have hundreds of pictures together, would this hurt her chances? Thanks! And I've read this site a lot over the past couple of months for insight into the process it's great!

I really doubt your FB status / pictures will tilt her application either way, unless her profile is open to anyone and she declares on her page: "APPLYING FOR AN F1 SO I CAN MARRY MY AMERICAN BF AND MOVE TO THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE BRAVE!"

She will have to declare in her application where she plans to live (if I remember correctly..), and if asked about you / boyfriend in America at her interview, she does have to be honest.

Where is she from?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.