One Love Jamaica

Address question

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

In filling out the I-129F, I am hesitant to put the address where I currently live, which is with my parents because I am concerned that once I start receiving correspondence regarding the K-1 application and Visa petition, my parents will find out about it and it will cause a huge deal in my house. Although I am 30 years old and a grown woman, I know my parents would be disappointed that I am taking on such a thing, with a man from another country that I only met 2 months ago. I don't feel like hearing their mouth about it and having them pass judgement on myself as well as him and stressing me out during the process. I was planning on waiting until a month or 2 after he came here and then introduce him to my parents and inform them about our plans to marry. So long story short, is it ok to put a friends address on the I-129F for the purpose of receiving mail. It actually we end up being the address that he and I live at temporarily once he comes until we get our own place. However, it is not the address on my drivers license so Im not sure if this will affect the application process. Any thoughts?

7/19/11 - Met Cordel at Margaritaville, Montego Bay

8/30-9/7 - Visit #2 to JA

9/24/11 - Started K-1 application process and putting I-129F packet together

10/12-10/20 Visit #3 to JA

11/10/11 - Mailed out I-129F packet via Express Mail to Lewisville, TX

11/14/11 - Package received by USCIS and signed for by J. Arthur

11/17/11 - NOA1

01/13/12-1/23/12 - Visit #4 to JA

02/29/12 - NOA2

4/17/12 - Medical appointment

5/1/12 - Visit #5 to Jamaica

5/3/12 - Interview at US Embassy in Kingston (APPROVED!)

5/7/12 - VISA issued

5/9/12 - Cordel picked up VISA in Mobay :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You can have a separate mailing address. There is a question that will ask you what address you all will be residing at so that could help the answers.

On a separate note, I think that if you truly love him and this marriage is happening regardless of anyone thoughts or opinions; you need to sit your parents down and be honest. Sneaking around is not going to help your situation. You have to marry him within 90 days of getting here, so waiting until the last minute to spring him on your parents and then them having an awful reaction is not fair to your man.

I understand the trust issues and EVRYTHING you are going through.

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from K3 (spousal) to K1 (fiance) forum ******

It's ok to put a different mailing address, but you must but as your physical address where you live.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

You can put a different mailing address, no problem.

Doesn't matter at all if it doesn't match drivers license, the two aren't related.

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

Timeline

If you are concerned about your parents' reaction, why rush to file so quickly? Why not tell your parents about him, take a trip to Jamaica with your parents, let them get to know him? Although its hard to be apart from the one you love, time only makes the relationship stronger when the love is true - One of the questions you will deal with with immigration is about your family, has he met them, talked to them, etc... - Why not go in there being able to say yes?

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline

My parent and I have never agreed when it comes to dating and they are not going to be accepting no matter how I present it to them. They had me later in life and are very old fashioned when it comes to views about relationships. For one, they are not with the whole interaccial marriage thing. Secondly, I already know that they are going to automatically assume that my man is only using me to get here. I really dont feel like having to deal with all the questions and comments and stress that will come along with me telling them such. And when it comes to immigration, I will be honest and tell them about my family because Im sure they will understand that not all families are accepting of these types of situations. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what my family or friends think of my choice for a husband. Of course it would be nice to have their approval and support, but if I dont, I can't allow it to stop me from living my life. But I do understand what you are saying, it's just my family is not so open minded like others.

If you are concerned about your parents' reaction, why rush to file so quickly? Why not tell your parents about him, take a trip to Jamaica with your parents, let them get to know him? Although its hard to be apart from the one you love, time only makes the relationship stronger when the love is true - One of the questions you will deal with with immigration is about your family, has he met them, talked to them, etc... - Why not go in there being able to say yes?

11/17/11 - NOA1

02/29/12 - NOA2

5/7/12 - VISA issued

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wow, you are going to have a long road ahead of you especially with no family support, feel free to contact me if you ever need someone to talk to. This is a long and tedious journey. I get through it because I have such a supporting family. I don't know what I would do without them so I cant imagine not having their support. But stay in prayer and if its meant to me cant nobody (not even family) stop God).

Inbox if you need to talk.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

I know....I am already prepared that I will not have my family's support. I have never had their support when it comes to relationships, to the point that I don't even bring anyone home anymore. Unfortunately because they had me later in life, they are very old fashioned in their ways. I don't even feel comfortable discussing my relationship with them, because they have always been so judgemental and critical in the past. I do understand they want the best for me, but life would be so much easier if they were more open minded and not so controlling. I have a friend who is supportive, but I am also hesitant to share with my friends that I am bringing my man to the states because I really don't want to hear about how I should be careful, and how its too soon, and how men in the Carribbean use white women from the states for money and for entrance to America, etc. I am aware of all of these things, and I hope and pray that i am doing the right thing. I know my friends and family would just be looking out for me, but I need more support now than opposition. Did you go through any of these things at any point in your relationship?

Wow, you are going to have a long road ahead of you especially with no family support, feel free to contact me if you ever need someone to talk to. This is a long and tedious journey. I get through it because I have such a supporting family. I don't know what I would do without them so I cant imagine not having their support. But stay in prayer and if its meant to me cant nobody (not even family) stop God).

Inbox if you need to talk.

11/17/11 - NOA1

02/29/12 - NOA2

5/7/12 - VISA issued

Timeline

I know....I am already prepared that I will not have my family's support. I have never had their support when it comes to relationships, to the point that I don't even bring anyone home anymore. Unfortunately because they had me later in life, they are very old fashioned in their ways. I don't even feel comfortable discussing my relationship with them, because they have always been so judgemental and critical in the past. I do understand they want the best for me, but life would be so much easier if they were more open minded and not so controlling. I have a friend who is supportive, but I am also hesitant to share with my friends that I am bringing my man to the states because I really don't want to hear about how I should be careful, and how its too soon, and how men in the Carribbean use white women from the states for money and for entrance to America, etc. I am aware of all of these things, and I hope and pray that i am doing the right thing. I know my friends and family would just be looking out for me, but I need more support now than opposition. Did you go through any of these things at any point in your relationship?

To play Devil's advocate a bit here - If you met this man at home in New York, you had known him for two months, you were able to see him every day, etc... - ask yourself honestly, would you be planning to get married? Would you be even thinking about it yet? There are MANY factors involved here, and the transition to a new country is not easy for anyone - Your fiance will not be able to work for 6-8 months after he arrives, or even start looking for work - He won't be able to drive, he won't have any friends here at first, there will be many aspects of life in the US that he just doesn't get at first - These are all huge challenges to get through - even something as simple as the difference in food - in order to make it through all of this as a couple, you need to have a truly strong foundation - one that takes time to build.

We all know how hard the distance is, but it takes time to develop a solid enough relationship to survive the struggles of this process - If you love each other, that love isn't going anywhere - Why not get things sorted out here first - find a place to live, ensure that your income is enough to support you both, visit a few times, deal with your family, etc... - before thinking of filing?

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

SMH ... woa.. this will be a long road. Bit strange. BUt she may use what ever address she chooses as she calls home.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Get a PO Box.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Get a PO Box.

So they do deliver to PO BOXES now..?

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

To play Devil's advocate a bit here - If you met this man at home in New York, you had known him for two months, you were able to see him every day, etc... - ask yourself honestly, would you be planning to get married? Would you be even thinking about it yet? There are MANY factors involved here, and the transition to a new country is not easy for anyone - Your fiance will not be able to work for 6-8 months after he arrives, or even start looking for work - He won't be able to drive, he won't have any friends here at first, there will be many aspects of life in the US that he just doesn't get at first - These are all huge challenges to get through - even something as simple as the difference in food - in order to make it through all of this as a couple, you need to have a truly strong foundation - one that takes time to build.

We all know how hard the distance is, but it takes time to develop a solid enough relationship to survive the struggles of this process - If you love each other, that love isn't going anywhere - Why not get things sorted out here first - find a place to live, ensure that your income is enough to support you both, visit a few times, deal with your family, etc... - before thinking of filing?

:star:

All of what Sus has said here is so very true.

Please take time to really think about all of this.

Praying things work out for you either way (F)

So they do deliver to PO BOXES now..?

They do to mine.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.