Dan_P

My wife was asked 3 questions in the interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

During the interview, my wife was only asked 3 questions, and I was asked a few questions, and that’s it!

A quick rundown from what I could remember. My wife and I got to the consulate at around 7:40 AM. We went through the first security (a sort of overflow room ) first, then went outside again to go into the consulate. Going inside the consulate, there is security check for bags and a metal detector, similar to airport security. If you bring cell phones or cameras, you will also check it in at the front desk and they will give you a baggage check ticket so you can pick it up as you leave the consulate. You can bring food in, and they do provide free water along with a small vending machine with some drinks. Once inside, head to the windows A, B, or C that you will see once you first enter. If there is no one there, wait a few (or many) minutes and sooner or later, someone will come out to give you a number. After that, just go sit down and wait for your number to be called. Numbers are not called in order. There is no AC in the waiting room, only ceiling fans. There are two tv’s that show a short video on a loop describing the interview process in English with Vietnamese subtitles and has some scenery of the US.

There are a few “room” counters, but most counters are stand-only and are literally right next to each other. They are angled a little bit, so you won’t be able to see the neighboring counter when you are standing at the counter, but you can see and hear the interview if you sit near the counter. The first time your number is called is to submit documents, I think at windows 13-15 at around 10:30 AM. When submitting documents, I believe you submit to a Vietnamese employee. You only submit what they asked for on the interview letter or whatever they ask for, don’t submit all your pictures, e-mails, etc. , that you will submit to the interviewer if they ask for it. After submitting documents, you go and sit down and we waited maybe about 20 minutes. The info is then given to the co who will handle your case and he or she will review it a little bit before calling your number.

When your number is called the second time, if you are at the consulate, both the petitioner and beneficiary should go to the window. Once at the window, there will be a co there along with a translator. The co will then ask the beneficiary to swear an oath, I wasn’t asked to swear anything, but the petitioner could be asked to do so as well. The beneficiary was asked to stand on the left side. The co asked for the two bags with all the supporting documents to be placed on the counter. My wife was asked to sign a paper, I believe it was ds-230 part II. The beneficiary is then asked to take finger prints on a digital fingerprint scanner located on the left side of the counter, left 4 fingers first, then right 4 fingers, then two thumbs. After that, he asked a few questions, while asking questions, the translator was handing back documents to my wife.

Wife’s questions:

1. When did your husband come to Vietnam

2. How long does your husband plan to stay in Vietnam

3. You were married about a year, right?

My questions:

1. How long have you known your wife?

2. You own a house, right?

3. Did you buy the house when the house after the house prices dropped?

That’s all we were asked, then the co said that he would make a few notes in the system, typed something on the computer for a minute, and stamped the pink! The date to pick up the visa was one week after the interview date. I wasn’t asked to submit any supporting documentation at all. They will keep your passport and give it to you when they give you the visa.

Some background info, I only submitted what they asked for in the I-130, and subsequent forms. I did not front load anything, and provided 8 pictures (including pictures at the church, and wedding at her house) with my I-130 along with airline tickets and calling card statement. I-864 included employment letter.

I also saw other couples there, and sometimes they would ask the wife first than the husband, or vice versa. So, if you go with your wife/fiancee, be prepared to answer all the questions and make sure that your answers and your wife’s/fiancee’s answers match. I saw one couple there with a 2-3 year old child being interviewed probably for about 30 minutes only to end up with a blue and from what I can tell, it asked for 3-4 items, although I did not get a close look at the blue.

Thanks you all who helped me along my journey to get the visa and good luck to all others still on the journey, especially to all others interviewing in September!

congrats!! you guys with pinks are giving me more and more hope, ehehe

To quotes a movie, “So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows... but what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One Moment you're enjoying your life, and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without them.” I felt I found something with Kieu that is rare in life... true love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wow! Congrats! I hope everything goes well for you guys. :)

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

During the interview, my wife was only asked 3 questions, and I was asked a few questions, and that’s it!

A quick rundown from what I could remember. My wife and I got to the consulate at around 7:40 AM. We went through the first security (a sort of overflow room ) first, then went outside again to go into the consulate. Going inside the consulate, there is security check for bags and a metal detector, similar to airport security. If you bring cell phones or cameras, you will also check it in at the front desk and they will give you a baggage check ticket so you can pick it up as you leave the consulate. You can bring food in, and they do provide free water along with a small vending machine with some drinks. Once inside, head to the windows A, B, or C that you will see once you first enter. If there is no one there, wait a few (or many) minutes and sooner or later, someone will come out to give you a number. After that, just go sit down and wait for your number to be called. Numbers are not called in order. There is no AC in the waiting room, only ceiling fans. There are two tv’s that show a short video on a loop describing the interview process in English with Vietnamese subtitles and has some scenery of the US.

There are a few “room” counters, but most counters are stand-only and are literally right next to each other. They are angled a little bit, so you won’t be able to see the neighboring counter when you are standing at the counter, but you can see and hear the interview if you sit near the counter. The first time your number is called is to submit documents, I think at windows 13-15 at around 10:30 AM. When submitting documents, I believe you submit to a Vietnamese employee. You only submit what they asked for on the interview letter or whatever they ask for, don’t submit all your pictures, e-mails, etc. , that you will submit to the interviewer if they ask for it. After submitting documents, you go and sit down and we waited maybe about 20 minutes. The info is then given to the co who will handle your case and he or she will review it a little bit before calling your number.

When your number is called the second time, if you are at the consulate, both the petitioner and beneficiary should go to the window. Once at the window, there will be a co there along with a translator. The co will then ask the beneficiary to swear an oath, I wasn’t asked to swear anything, but the petitioner could be asked to do so as well. The beneficiary was asked to stand on the left side. The co asked for the two bags with all the supporting documents to be placed on the counter. My wife was asked to sign a paper, I believe it was ds-230 part II. The beneficiary is then asked to take finger prints on a digital fingerprint scanner located on the left side of the counter, left 4 fingers first, then right 4 fingers, then two thumbs. After that, he asked a few questions, while asking questions, the translator was handing back documents to my wife.

Wife’s questions:

My questions:

That’s all we were asked, then the co said that he would make a few notes in the system, typed something on the computer for a minute, and stamped the pink! The date to pick up the visa was one week after the interview date. I wasn’t asked to submit any supporting documentation at all. They will keep your passport and give it to you when they give you the visa.

Some background info, I only submitted what they asked for in the I-130, and subsequent forms. I did not front load anything, and provided 8 pictures (including pictures at the church, and wedding at her house) with my I-130 along with airline tickets and calling card statement. I-864 included employment letter.

I also saw other couples there, and sometimes they would ask the wife first than the husband, or vice versa. So, if you go with your wife/fiancee, be prepared to answer all the questions and make sure that your answers and your wife’s/fiancee’s answers match. I saw one couple there with a 2-3 year old child being interviewed probably for about 30 minutes only to end up with a blue and from what I can tell, it asked for 3-4 items, although I did not get a close look at the blue.

Thanks you all who helped me along my journey to get the visa and good luck to all others still on the journey, especially to all others interviewing in September!

CONGRATULATION!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: I have a question though is this an interview for the K-1 or CR-1 Visa and not the one where you apply for the Marriage Certificated right? People told me there is an interview for when you apply for the Marriage Certificated also is that true?

Timeline

During the interview, my wife was only asked 3 questions, and I was asked a few questions, and that's it!

A quick rundown from what I could remember. My wife and I got to the consulate at around 7:40 AM. We went through the first security (a sort of overflow room ) first, then went outside again to go into the consulate. Going inside the consulate, there is security check for bags and a metal detector, similar to airport security. If you bring cell phones or cameras, you will also check it in at the front desk and they will give you a baggage check ticket so you can pick it up as you leave the consulate. You can bring food in, and they do provide free water along with a small vending machine with some drinks. Once inside, head to the windows A, B, or C that you will see once you first enter. If there is no one there, wait a few (or many) minutes and sooner or later, someone will come out to give you a number. After that, just go sit down and wait for your number to be called. Numbers are not called in order. There is no AC in the waiting room, only ceiling fans. There are two tv's that show a short video on a loop describing the interview process in English with Vietnamese subtitles and has some scenery of the US.

There are a few "room" counters, but most counters are stand-only and are literally right next to each other. They are angled a little bit, so you won't be able to see the neighboring counter when you are standing at the counter, but you can see and hear the interview if you sit near the counter. The first time your number is called is to submit documents, I think at windows 13-15 at around 10:30 AM. When submitting documents, I believe you submit to a Vietnamese employee. You only submit what they asked for on the interview letter or whatever they ask for, don't submit all your pictures, e-mails, etc. , that you will submit to the interviewer if they ask for it. After submitting documents, you go and sit down and we waited maybe about 20 minutes. The info is then given to the co who will handle your case and he or she will review it a little bit before calling your number.

When your number is called the second time, if you are at the consulate, both the petitioner and beneficiary should go to the window. Once at the window, there will be a co there along with a translator. The co will then ask the beneficiary to swear an oath, I wasn't asked to swear anything, but the petitioner could be asked to do so as well. The beneficiary was asked to stand on the left side. The co asked for the two bags with all the supporting documents to be placed on the counter. My wife was asked to sign a paper, I believe it was ds-230 part II. The beneficiary is then asked to take finger prints on a digital fingerprint scanner located on the left side of the counter, left 4 fingers first, then right 4 fingers, then two thumbs. After that, he asked a few questions, while asking questions, the translator was handing back documents to my wife.

Wife's questions:

My questions:

That's all we were asked, then the co said that he would make a few notes in the system, typed something on the computer for a minute, and stamped the pink! The date to pick up the visa was one week after the interview date. I wasn't asked to submit any supporting documentation at all. They will keep your passport and give it to you when they give you the visa.

I also saw other couples there, and sometimes they would ask the wife first than the husband, or vice versa. So, if you go with your wife/fiancee, be prepared to answer all the questions and make sure that your answers and your wife's/fiancee's answers match. I saw one couple there with a 2-3 year old child being interviewed probably for about 30 minutes only to end up with a blue and from what I can tell, it asked for 3-4 items, although I did not get a close look at the blue.

Most awesome and many thanks for the review of the interview. Not everyone does let us know this and it helps more than you can imagine. Again God bless you both.kicking.gifkicking.gifkicking.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Congrats! And excellent review! :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

CONGRATULATION!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: I have a question though is this an interview for the K-1 or CR-1 Visa and not the one where you apply for the Marriage Certificated right? People told me there is an interview for when you apply for the Marriage Certificated also is that true?

Cr1, I was married in Vietnam. If you get married in Vietnam, then you will have to have an interview at the justice department (so tu phap) of the province where the Vietnamese national resides. My interview at stp was about 30 minutes, 15 minutes each person. Length really depends, and some have reported very short interviews when using dich vu at stp.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.