brownskinned

SSN Invalid

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi!! My cousin applied for a job online. She just got her ssn 3weeks ago. So she put her ssn on a company site and guess what, it said, SSN is not valid. When her friend put her application and ssn, it went through!

So what are the possible reasons why hers was invalid? It didnt start with 00 or anything.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi!! My cousin applied for a job online. She just got her ssn 3weeks ago. So she put her ssn on a company site and guess what, it said, SSN is not valid. When her friend put her application and ssn, it went through!

So what are the possible reasons why hers was invalid? It didnt start with 00 or anything.

Did your cousin arrive here on a K1 visa? If so they cannot work till they get EAD card work authorization.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The situation is not peculiar.I personally experienced similar incident whilst I was trying to open a bank account with my wife just a week after I got the SSN,It came back as invalid after running it through the system.I immediately called SS office and they once again confirmed the validity and that They(The Bank) should run it through the system again.3 days Later, the BAnk called me to informed me that I was good to go.So I guess it has to do with the fact that its a new SSN which is not an excuse cos I have a friend that started using his 2days after he got it without any problem but each case is peculiar.May be registering it into the general data base is the reason for the delay but there is nothing to be concerned about.I am sure your friend will be fine.He or She should try it again in a couple of days.

Citizenship window opens since October 26th 2013...
CITIZENSHIP Track:
Eligibility Criteria: 3 years
10-26-2013: Eligibility Date
12-06-2013:Application Sent
12-09-2013: Application Received and Priority Date
12-11-2013: Check Cashed
12-18-2013: Bio-metric Letter sent Date
01-07-2014: Bio-metric Date
01-07-2014: In-line for Interview
05-07-2014: Interview Letter Received
06-09-2014: Interview Passed
07-18-2014: Oath Ceremony
Naturalized as a US citizen!!!

Visa Journey officially Over on 07/18/2014

Glory be to the Lord the giver of all things

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't know. Give us her name, SSN and date of birth and we can try to help her. :bonk:

JUST KIDDING! :rofl:

Maybe it's just too new and will work in a few days. Best wishes for her getting a new job.

Did your cousin arrive here on a K1 visa? If so they cannot work till they get EAD card work authorization.

She already got her EAD thats why she went ahead and got a SSN.

The situation is not peculiar.I personally experienced similar incident whilst I was trying to open a bank account with my wife just a week after I got the SSN,It came back as invalid after running it through the system.I immediately called SS office and they once again confirmed the validity and that They(The Bank) should run it through the system again.3 days Later, the BAnk called me to informed me that I was good to go.So I guess it has to do with the fact that its a new SSN which is not an excuse cos I have a friend that started using his 2days after he got it without any problem but each case is peculiar.May be registering it into the general data base is the reason for the delay but there is nothing to be concerned about.I am sure your friend will be fine.He or She should try it again in a couple of days.

She called the SSA but they want her to go to the office which she can't right now because her hubby's working far and she don't have a driver's license. I guess she'll just have to wait.. Thanks!! Maybe its coz its new.

I don't know. Give us her name, SSN and date of birth and we can try to help her. :bonk:

JUST KIDDING! :rofl:

Maybe it's just too new and will work in a few days. Best wishes for her getting a new job.

LOL LOL LOL

It's new that's why...

She already got her EAD thats why she went ahead and got a SSN.

She called the SSA but they want her to go to the office which she can't right now because her hubby's working far and she don't have a driver's license. I guess she'll just have to wait.. Thanks!! Maybe its coz its new.

LOL LOL LOL

If she applied with SSA and they issued her a card and gave them the number printed on the card, the problem is with the company site. Back in June SSA went to what they call Randomization, were they assign SSNs from the pool of all available numbers, rather that the available numbers in your SSN Area, which was based on the zip code you provided on the SSN application. I assume the company verification system hasn't been updated, so they are saying the SSN Area doesn't match her zip code, or the number has a Area number or Group number within an Area that hasn't been assigned. Employers used to use the High Group list to try to tell if a number was valid, but SSA no longer updates that list.

See if the number was on the last High Group list SSA put out in June:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnvhighgroup.htm

Area Group Serial (AAA-GG-SSSS)

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnweb.htm

Edited by I Quit

If she applied with SSA and they issued her a card and gave them the number printed on the card, the problem is with the company site. Back in June SSA went to what they call Randomization, were they assign SSNs from the pool of all available numbers, rather that the available numbers in your SSN Area, which was based on the zip code you provided on the SSN application. I assume the company verification system hasn't been updated, so they are saying the SSN Area doesn't match her zip code, or the number has a Area number or Group number within an Area that hasn't been assigned. Employers used to use the High Group list to try to tell if a number was valid, but SSA no longer updates that list.

See if the number was on the last High Group list SSA put out in June:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnvhighgroup.htm

Area Group Serial (AAA-GG-SSSS)

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnweb.htm

Thanks! That explains it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.