~PalmTreeGurl~

Question for Jordan Peeps!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi again MENA peeps! Another question for a friend! If two people are christian, one US citizen and one Jordanian, can they just have a courthouse wedding over in Jordan, or do they have to have a church wedding?

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

And once married and CR1 is applied for, about how long is the normal processing time til the Interview?

Chec other timelines to get a sense. It's longer than the K=1 visa, as a rule of thumb.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I think you have to marry at the church in order to get the marriage certificate - the government won't give it unless you have paperwork from the church....

Day 11/14 Mailed AOS Package

Day 11/16 AOS Package Accepted

Day 11/20 Received Text with receipt numbers

Day 11/21 Checks cashed

Day 11/26 -Letter for Biometrix - its on 12/20

Day 12/20/ went to do biometrics, turn away as wife has a cut on thumb - will try to walk in next week

Day 12/28 - bio metrics done ! - walked in San Diego as we were visiting my in laws.

Day 1/4/2013 - received text/email that case is ready to be scheduled for interview !

Day 1/15/2013 - received hard copy letter to let us know interview is on 2/12 !

Day 1/17/2013 - received text/email that EAD has been approved

Day 1/26/2013 - received EAD card

Day 2/12 - interview done - approved on spot!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I called my friend from Syria (her husband is Jordanian) and they married overseas. and yes, they are Christian (Greek Orthodox to be exact). Anyway, she said that they have to make an appointment with the church and get married in the church. The priest will give them papers to take to the civil registry to register the marriage with the courts.

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Timeline

I called my friend from Syria (her husband is Jordanian) and they married overseas. and yes, they are Christian (Greek Orthodox to be exact). Anyway, she said that they have to make an appointment with the church and get married in the church. The priest will give them papers to take to the civil registry to register the marriage with the courts.

Thanks girl! I'll pass this message on to Wassim unless he beat me to it by reading it already. I had thought it was going to be like how Adam & I did it in Egypt, but its not.

Edited by ~PalmTreeGurl~

Timeline

Another question he had asked me, is there any way just to have an engagement ceremony over there but in the church but not be officially married? Or whatever he and his fiance do in the church, will make them come out and be married?

Timeline

Another question he had asked me, is there any way just to have an engagement ceremony over there but in the church but not be officially married? Or whatever he and his fiance do in the church, will make them come out and be married?

My friend said they can get engaged in the church, without getting married.

Thanks girl! I'll pass this message on to Wassim unless he beat me to it by reading it already. I had thought it was going to be like how Adam & I did it in Egypt, but its not.

You are welcome. I wanted to tell you by court...I mean the civil registry. I thought I better make that clear.

Timeline

My understanding there in Jordan you have to go through the church ceremony in order to get the paperwork to register in the civil court. Its not like you can go to the priest/pastor and have him marry you without a pheromone, this is my understanding ! does it vary form one denomination to another? i am baptist and so is she !

if we are able to do a legally binding church paperwork with out the ceremony in January then do a ceremony that would be ideal. My understanding is you have to do the ceremony is what i got from her response ( she asked her dad).

I also have a different question - which one is faster processing time , fiance' visa or C1R1?

my Dilemma right now is picking the best and safest way for her to immigrate. She has a visiting visa for 5 years that she can enter on but not immigrate. She can try to update her status once we are married but thats not the safest way from what i gather. Right now i am looking at maybe bringing her to the US to marry legally and marry/ceremony in July in Jordan ( 7 month wait time). the second option is the fiance visa but if we go this route we will be performing a church ceremony in July and i think thats legally binding which is against the rules ! we are trying to avoid having her wait in Jordan after the July ceremony.

i hope i am making sense and not just throwing ideas ! Thanks for your help in advance ! :)

Wassim.

My friend said they can get engaged in the church, without getting married.

You are welcome. I wanted to tell you by court...I mean the civil registry. I thought I better make that clear.

Day 11/21 Checks cashed

Day 12/20/ went to do biometrics, turn away as wife has a cut on thumb - will try to walk in next week

Day 12/28 - bio metrics done ! - walked in San Diego as we were visiting my in laws.

Day 1/4/2013 - received text/email that case is ready to be scheduled for interview !

Timeline

My understanding there in Jordan you have to go through the church ceremony in order to get the paperwork to register in the civil court. Its not like you can go to the priest/pastor and have him marry you without a pheromone, this is my understanding ! does it vary form one denomination to another? i am baptist and so is she !

if we are able to do a legally binding church paperwork with out the ceremony in January then do a ceremony that would be ideal. My understanding is you have to do the ceremony is what i got from her response ( she asked her dad).

I also have a different question - which one is faster processing time , fiance' visa or C1R1?

my Dilemma right now is picking the best and safest way for her to immigrate. She has a visiting visa for 5 years that she can enter on but not immigrate. She can try to update her status once we are married but thats not the safest way from what i gather. Right now i am looking at maybe bringing her to the US to marry legally and marry/ceremony in July in Jordan ( 7 month wait time). the second option is the fiance visa but if we go this route we will be performing a church ceremony in July and i think thats legally binding which is against the rules ! we are trying to avoid having her wait in Jordan after the July ceremony.

i hope i am making sense and not just throwing ideas ! Thanks for your help in advance ! :)

Wassim.

Your denomination does matter in Jordan. Family law is determined by the husband's religion. That means that it is going to be determined by the Baptist church in Jordan. My friend is Greek Orthodox, so that is different. The part about the church marrying you and then you registering the marriage is the same. The church does give you the papers to register your marriage. I think her dad is going to be the best place to get your information about marrying/engagement in Jordan (before you go to Jordan). If her dad is saying that you will need to do the ceremony, then you will need to do that.

Go to the immigration timeline on visa journey. There is a area for Jordan. Check out the timelines for the fiance visa and the CR1. You can get an idea there which one would be faster. But my question is...will her parents let her travel here on a fiance visa and get married after she arrives here?

Do you have Jordanian citizenship? If you do and you can stay there, you can always look into a direct consulate filing. I don't know if that will work, but it is just another idea.

I hope this was helpful. :)

Timeline

after we marry in the church, we can do whatever we want too lol she's open to visiting in the US on her tourist visa and marrying here if its easier as well.

i am not technically Jordanian :/ so i can't stay there plus i work and live in the States so it'll be hard anyways.

i'll check out the timeline - i didn't know there was a section or info about Jordan.

Thanks !

after we marry in the church, we can do whatever we want too lol she's open to visiting in the US on her tourist visa and marrying here if its easier as well.

i am not technically Jordanian :/ so i can't stay there plus i work and live in the States so it'll be hard anyways.

i'll check out the timeline - i didn't know there was a section or info about Jordan.

Thanks !

Day 11/21 Checks cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.