scotto22

Community College Problem?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, im 18 and i got my work authorization card about 3 1/2 months ago, and I was happy to finally go to college(graduated early 2 years ago, and was basically stuck after that), applied to my local community college(NC) and expecting to be easily accepted, but heres what the result was: I got a letter stating this

Since I was a undocumented immigrant(which last time i checked a work visa is a document) 1. I could not be accepted until the First day of class, and had to pick from the classes left over from us citizens

2.Had to pay out of state Tuition(I could partially understand this one)

3. After I signed up for classes, if an a u.s. citizen wanted a class that i signed up for and it was full they would drop me from the class and give it to him, refund on class was not mentioned but i think i would get one

After i got this letter I was clearly disappointed, so i emailed the admission office and told them about my situation and that i have a work visa and was told i could go to college as long as I have a SS, and a license(i have both. The lady responded stating in NC a work visa has NO barring on if i can go to college.

So I let it go, thinking I have to wait a little longer(still don't have my visa, called uscis and they said I was scheduled to receive mine months ago, but they don't have enough numbers, so im in limbo til my priority date shows up) but recently i went to test this nc theory and everyone i talked to said that i should have been accepted like any other student(even one of school's teacher). So I applied to another community college which is about 30 min away as a test, and they stated if I bring my work visa along with my I-95 they would accept me like normal but I would have to pay out of state tuition(which at this point I fine with..i guess, better to go to college then not at all). I received my acceptance letter today.

I want to know your opinions on what I should do, should I just keep quiet and go to the farther community college, or should I find a way to take legal action against my legal community college. Any advice appreciated! Thank You!

F2A permanent resident visa, and the guy said in the meantime of waiting he told me I was supposed to be given a work visa as well(i paid for it without knowing) He then gave me a form and said just fill it out along with the receipt(i dont know what form exactly) and i got my work visa that way. Im still waiting on my permanent resident card

oh my bad, a perm resid card is what im waiting on, but how did i get accepted into a different college when my local one rejected me that makes no sense, they both had the same information, and even a teacher of the school that reject me said i supposed to be admitted as a normal student

^^^ i dont want to sue anyone someone suggested that to me, trust me i have no problem letting american citizens and Legal P.r. go to college before me, i just want a simple explanation of why one accepted me and one didn't thats all. maybe this was just a bad question to ask or not phrased right on my part. I don't mean to offend anyone.

DFH- Thank you very much, I think your the only one who actually understood what I was trying to say, Thanks for the advice and I will check into the foreign student services. Once Again Thank you!

edit- Also thank you Harsh_77 for clearing up the visa p.r. thing

Edited by scotto22

Filed: Other Timeline

Education is a state, not a federal domain. I studied first at a community college, then transferred to a reputable university in California and never had to show anything other than my driver license and submit my SSN. In order to be eligible for in-state tuition, I had to mark that I am a resident of California, which I was, despite being unlawfully present.

Most school require their students to be a resident of the state for at least a year. In California they are forbidden to inquire about any prospective student's citizenship or immigration status. You ended up in a redneck state, so there's not much you can do at this point in time but wait a little longer.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

When my son came to the US legally - Southern California (K2) he was told by community college that he had to provide greencard and have lived here a year and one day in order to qualify for in-state tuition.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: Other Timeline

People are ignorant, particularly average folks in the United States.

Yes, proof of residence in the Golden State for one year is indeed a requirement to be eligible for in-state tuition. Since very few of the 310,000,000 people who live in the U.S. have Green Cards, residence is usually proven by showing a state-issued driver's license (Driver License in California) that was issued more than a year previously or even utility bills in the prospective student's name that go back at least one year.

No school and no state-owned institution of higher education in California, which includes all California State Universities (though I went to UCLA), is authorized to even inquire about a prospective student's citizenship or immigration status. Other states handle this differently, but since I live in California for close to 20 years now and went though all of this myself, I know that with certainty.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915