Kammo

To those of you finally home (US side)!

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I gotta wait 10 days after I entered the U.S. to apply for the SSN?

Ok can someone explain to me, the whole 1-693 form? Because I didn't know I was suppose to ask for an official copy to where I did the Medical for the Visa, which Im going back to see if I can get one, I did read in the guides that if you don't have it all, you will just need to do the extra stuff to a civil surgeon.

its the same thing as the vaccination worksheet you receive bascially. I just used it when i did my aos and i got my green card no problem. I tried to get a copy of my medical at poe and they refused. so just make sure you have copies of the vaccination worksheet.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Ok so I am a K-1. From Montreal and my Fiance from Ohio. So I can apply for the SSN right away after I entered the U.S. without getting married first?

Or am I reading the guides wrong?

you can but you need wait the 10 days or so for dhs to updated your info in the computers system or ssn office will say they cannot find you. And you can do it after you get marreid as well if you want it in your married name. only diff is bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you. i waited til after we were married and got the card in mail so i could go to the bank and open up my new accounts.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should start your own thread instead of highjacking - helps questions not get lost.

You should learn not to be a jerk.

you can but you need wait the 10 days or so for dhs to updated your info in the computers system or ssn office will say they cannot find you. And you can do it after you get marreid as well if you want it in your married name. only diff is bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you. i waited til after we were married and got the card in mail so i could go to the bank and open up my new accounts.

Thanks for everything! :) and Congrats!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow! She was just trying to be helpful. Udella is one of the most sincere and helpful members of this board so your comment is really uncalled for. If you had posted your own thread, you would've probably received more answers, that's all she's trying to say.

Pocheros - congrats on the move! I just got back from North Las Vegas. My in-laws have a house there (they plan to retire there) so we go at least once a year, I'm sure we'll go more eventually too once we have kids and they live there for good. My husband and I really like it there! If it wasn't for our jobs in NYC, I could totally see us moving there as well. We went on a hike at Mt. Charleston and totally recommend it if you haven't been! Even just to get away from the heat (it was 70 degrees in the mountains, vs. 100 degrees back at the house!). I'm also from Mississauga, and see you're from Brampton :) Small world! Compared to NYC, the grocery stores in Vegas are much better haha! The produce is soooo much cheaper in Vegas compared to NYC. My husband and I were sooo jealous of how cheap the avocados were, LOL. You might want to check out the filipino grocery store, Seafood City for rice and other things. I haven't been in awhile, but you might find some things you're looking for. I miss No Frills too. And, the Bulk Barn.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I miss Tim Hortons sooooo bad! :'(

-And loonies and toonies. I accidentally asked my husband for a loonie at the grocery store and was so embarrassed. Still getting used to the lack of colour in my wallet also :P

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow! She was just trying to be helpful. Udella is one of the most sincere and helpful members of this board so your comment is really uncalled for. If you had posted your own thread, you would've probably received more answers, that's all she's trying to say.

Pocheros - congrats on the move! I just got back from North Las Vegas. My in-laws have a house there (they plan to retire there) so we go at least once a year, I'm sure we'll go more eventually too once we have kids and they live there for good. My husband and I really like it there! If it wasn't for our jobs in NYC, I could totally see us moving there as well. We went on a hike at Mt. Charleston and totally recommend it if you haven't been! Even just to get away from the heat (it was 70 degrees in the mountains, vs. 100 degrees back at the house!). I'm also from Mississauga, and see you're from Brampton :) Small world! Compared to NYC, the grocery stores in Vegas are much better haha! The produce is soooo much cheaper in Vegas compared to NYC. My husband and I were sooo jealous of how cheap the avocados were, LOL. You might want to check out the filipino grocery store, Seafood City for rice and other things. I haven't been in awhile, but you might find some things you're looking for. I miss No Frills too. And, the Bulk Barn.

I agree Udella has been in here a long time and is always more than helpful on inquiries. To make uncalled for comments is very unwise, never burn your bridges you may someday have to cross them again.

Wow. Definitely not how you should treat people who are trying to help you get more information.

Well today marks one week since I got here. So far I love the weather (Las Vegas), our new apartment and the people (so far people have been very friendly and courteous... it's a huge difference from Brampton, ON). I had dinner with my fiance's family and enjoyed their company thoroughly.

Buuut one thing I can't get over is how terrible the grocery stores are compared to what was available in Ontario. Why is it so hard to find a large bag of chickpeas or lentils? So far I've been to Wal Mart, Smith's, Albertsons, and Food 4 Less and the only okay one in terms of variety so far was Albertson's, but it's expensive and is still lacking many of the things that I consider standard in my pantry... I miss being able to buy a big jar of tahini from Wal Mart for 4 bucks, and good multigrain breads and cheeses... The brie here is not that good. No Frills is loads better than Food 4 Less- sure NF has a lot of junk but it also had a lot of great healthy foods in bulk, like legumes and rice, and a good selection of produce. It seems like many of the grocery stores here are just aisles and aisles of junk food and pre made stuff. I don't want to sound like a snob but I make everything from scratch- hummus, soup, tomato sauce, beans, meats... Now it's more challenging and expensive. :( I shouldn't be despairing yet because we only checked out the grocery stores near by and I plan on hitting up an asian market soon in the hopes of finding more obscure things (like big bags of chickpeas? LOL!) at a decent price. I do not want to eat everything out of a box- my health is important to me, not to mention home made tastes way better!

My fiance always commented on how great the grocery stores are in Canada whenever he visited me. Now I understand why! Fortunately my fiance is a foodie like me and likes everything home cooked and healthy too, so this will be an adventure for us together...

If anything I'm finding the exact same stuff only WAAAYYYY cheaper in Illinois than back in Ontario! I can't find the more exotic stuff at Meijer/Super Walmart or anything but I certainly have found great things at lesser known stores. I haven't been to a Whole Foods yet but couldn't you find stuff there? They aren't known to be cheap but are known for super healthy things.

Edited by LuvIllinois

Started LDR with hubby July '04, married Nov '06

He moved and became permanent resident of Canada Nov '07

Now, we want to move back to his hometown in Illinois!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

I-130 sent to Toronto Embassy: September 12, 2010

Initial approval at Toronto Embassy: November 19, 2010

Packet 3 rec'd January 28, 2011

Packet 4 rec'd March 21, 2011

Medical May 16, 2011

Interview July 12, 2011 - Approved!

Visa/Passport picked up DHL July 22, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Timeline

If anything I'm finding the exact same stuff only WAAAYYYY cheaper in Illinois than back in Ontario! I can't find the more exotic stuff at Meijer/Super Walmart or anything but I certainly have found great things at lesser known stores. I haven't been to a Whole Foods yet but couldn't you find stuff there? They aren't known to be cheap but are known for super healthy things.

The only thing i've found in illinois to be cheaper is dairy. I do most of my shopping at Vallie Produce, as the veggies etc are fresher and way cheaper. Nectarines were .49/lb their, but some other store wanted 1.59...2 blocks down..like what the hell?? Walmart where i am absolutelys ucks and the meat is always just about rotten or on the verge of going. Meijer, i found was over expensive. Whole foods, well my husband wont let me go there, he calls it "whole paycheck". :( And i've been told Trader Joe's has alot of Canadian brands as well.

if anything, the one thing i'm most disappointed in down here is the quality of the meat. and i mean the different cuts as well as the fat ratios etc. i mean i remmber getting lean ground beef for 1.99/lb here they want 10$ just for a rib steak..i'm red meat deprived :( I miss my butchers at teh farmers market or loblaws and independant...

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

oh and bulk stuff..every store i went to up north had a bulk section..like i can't find chicken soup stock powder or brown gravy anywhere..i have to buy these packets or cubes and they all have so much salt..no sodium free steak spice nada. :(

HWDWm6.png

I agree the meat and fish here in MN is very pricy and not a good quality as Ontario (just my opinion) I love salmon

and here it is so expensive and doesn't taste very good.

I brought some Kraft peanut butter, our rasin bran cereal to name of few with me when I crossed.

It is a good thing that for now we live in a border town, so once I can cross back into Canada, I will be going shopping LOL

SEPT 16,2010-FILED I-129F
SEPT 21,2010-NOA1
SEPT 27,2010-hard copy of NOA1
SEPT 24,2010-touch
FEB 23,2011-RFE
FEB 23,2011-touch
MAR 12,2011-SENT OUT RFE requested
MAR 16,2011-touch (e-mail too)
MAR 17,2011-NOA2
MAR 25,2011-NVC recieved our petition
APR 13,2011-PKT 3 SENT from Montreal
APR 20,2011-SENT OUT PKT 3
MAY 4,2011-EMAIL RFE 2 from Montreal
MAY 5,2011-SENT OUT REQUESTED DS 156, passprot photos, bio page of passport
MAY 23,2011-DOS COMFIRMED PKT 4 HAS BEEN SENT OUT
May 31,2011-Pkt 4 recieved (dated May 18th)
AUG 3,2011-MEDICAL in Toronto
AUG 25,2011-INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
SEPT 9,2011-POE
SEPT 12,2011-Wedding

AOS
SEPT,26th 2011-AOS filed
OCT 6th-E-mail NOA1
OCT 11th-Hardcopy of NOA1 dated Sept 28th
OCT 25th-RFE
NOV 29,2011-AP (Approved)
NOV 29,2011-EAD(card production)
Dec 6,2011-EAD/AP card in hand smile.png
June 18, 2012-AOS approved
Aug 27th,2012-Card in production
STILL WAITING TO RECIEVE GREEN CARD~2nd service request is pending Nov 12,2012
Contacted senator-Jan 2013
Recieved e-mail response-Feb 4,2013
MAY 7,2013-RECIEVED GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROC

March 18,2014-sent I-751

March 24,2014-Recieved NOA (dated March 20th)

I agree, I miss Bulk Barn! As far as meat goes, if you can find a local butcher, that might be the best way to go. My Father in law is a retired butcher here in Illinois and he said a lot of the meat he got was brought in from Canada! Are you near Hinsdale? That's my husbands godfather's shop and they have great meat there, Prime n Tender meats. http://www.primentendermeats.com/

My other observation is that all you have to do here in the USA is just 'wait for the sale', LOL. I didn't find Ontario would have great bargains when things went on sale, but here is a whole other story!!!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

^^ Totally agree about the sales! We mainly do our shopping to align with the sales for the week. Luckily we're not very brand loyal, so we buy whatever yogurt/bread/cereal/meat/veggies/fruits are on sale for the week. I also agree with going to a butcher for good meat. We also stock up when there's a good sale on meat and just portions it out for two into ziploc bags and then freeze.

And yeah, bulk stuff is no where to be found. I stock up on things at Bulk Barn when I go home that I can't find here (like sprinkles for baking :) )

I LOVE Trader Joes. It doesn't carry many brand names at all (the only brands I've seen are Kashi and Dare)- they carry solely Trader Joe brand everything, but it's pretty much all great quality and reasonable, if not cheaply priced! No high fructose corn syrup! They have a really good cheese section, good grains like cous cous and rice, and a good frozen section. Oh and great bread and lettuce. I don't do all my shopping there, but there are some good key items that remind me of Canada there.

Whole Foods is a safe bet for anything. But, you pay for it. I avoid it, personally, because I think it's a bit of a rip off, but it makes me feel better knowing that if I really needed something I couldn't find anywhere else, they'd probably have it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I miss poutine., :(

Married - February 25, 2009

Filed I-130 - March 3, 2009

Interview& Approval - March 26, 2010

POE'd - April 6, 2010

Filed I-751 - February 13, 2012

Approved - November 21, 2012

as1cERN0g410010MDAwMTQwOGx8MDA5Njk4c3xXZSBoYXZlIGJlZW4gbWFycmllZCBmb3I.gif

I miss poutine., :(

Luckily I'm so close to Wisconsin, I can find great cheese curds and just make it at home.

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.