LvivLovers

IR-5: Send original civics documents to NVC?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife has submitted an I-130 for her mother who lives in Ukraine, so we are waiting for that to get approved and forwarded to the NVC. I want to make sure we are ready for the next steps. I've had trouble finding a definitive answer on whether or not we need to submit original documents to the NVC or whether we just submit copies and her mother takes the originals only the interview at the embassy in Kyiv. Anyone know how this works? Also I saw something about an online version of the DS-230...a DS-260 or something like that? Anyone know how that works and who is eligible?

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I just had all this process done for my Mother. Yes, you do need to send originals of all documents or certified copies. Certified copies - when certified translator translates, plus notary has to notarize them, then you have to go to ukrainian officials to put apostle on copies of your documents to prove that they are real. It is usually takes time and money. I personally, sent all originals that they are suppose to return in Embassy during her interview. In case, they lose something, it is not difficult to obtain dublicate - cheap and fast.

In terms of DS-230, you have to fill electronic version and print it out. Beneficiary has to sign the first part and then during interview she will sign the second part of the form in presence of officer. I hope it helps!

March 9th - 2011 Oath ceremony

March 9th - 2011 Mailed I-130 for my Mother

June 16th - 2011 I-130 approved

July 15th - 2011 case arrived in NVC

July 25th - 2011 case number assigned, AOS paid on-line, choice of agent mailed

July 27th - 2011 AOS showed as paid, AOS package mailed by overnight mail, choice of agent approved

July 28th - 2011 AOS package delivered to NVC

July 29th - 2011 IV fees paid on-line

August 1 - 2011 IV package mailed by overnight mail

August 2 - 2011 IV package delivered to NVC

August 8 - 2011 AOS package accepted

August 10 -2011 IV package received by NVC

August 16-2011 IV package reviewed, death certificate is not original, talked to supervisor to bring documents for closer review

August 21- 2011- SIF Case completed

August 29 2011- Interview date received from operator October 18th.

Edited by Lesia

My wife has submitted an I-130 for her mother who lives in Ukraine, so we are waiting for that to get approved and forwarded to the NVC. I want to make sure we are ready for the next steps. I've had trouble finding a definitive answer on whether or not we need to submit original documents to the NVC or whether we just submit copies and her mother takes the originals only the interview at the embassy in Kyiv. Anyone know how this works? Also I saw something about an online version of the DS-230...a DS-260 or something like that? Anyone know how that works and who is eligible?

For NVC, it has to either be originals or certified copies. No photocopies allowed.

As for the DS-260, only a few countries are eligible for the online forms, Ukraine NOT being one of them (Table at bottom http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_5165.html)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks for the info!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.