Gamut

Affidavit of support, co-sponsorship

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

My fiancée will need to co-sponsor me with a parent(s). How does one indicate this with the I-134 form? The issue being namely that there is not a box to tick to opt for co-sponsorship. As you all know the affidavit of support is brought to the interview at the US embassy. So is the correct procedure in this instance:

a) My fiancée fill out an I-134 with supporting material. The parent fill out their own I-134 form with supporting material. Then present both to the CO?

or

b) Have my fiancée fill out the form. But supply her supporting material plus her parent's supporting material. Then explain to the CO that it is a co-sponsorship arrangement?

Lastly, do I have to bring any of my own financial records? I don't recall being explicitly asked for this, but I guess it couldn't hurt to bring such.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Gamut

Filed: Timeline

Your fiance's parents have to fill out their own I-134, provoding all of their supporting documents. They call it co-sponsorship, but it is indeed a sole sponsorship. It's either you OR your parents. But you're fiance has to provide both I-134 to the embassy. I sent my I-134 and they rejected, so I had to get my dad to fill out one and my cousin (whichever works better for them). So your fiance has to submit I-134 with all the supporting documents and you're fiance's parents' I-134 with all of their supporting documents. Good luck.

And it's not that important to them how much you have in your bank. They only care about your current income and income from last year.

Only one is required. But if parents signed one Income Tax Return then the supporting documents for both parents have to be sent. But just incase, let each parent fill out a I-134 form to be on the safe side. After my I-134 was rejected, I sent 2 affidavits of support, my dad's (including supporting documents from my mom) and my counsin's. (whichever works best for the embassy, but they take into consideration only 1 income). But let me give you a tip: find one co-sponsor with income no less than $50000 per year with household size of no more than 2. Mine was way more than poverty level and it was rejected.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Only one is required. But if parents signed one Income Tax Return then the supporting documents for both parents have to be sent. But just incase, let each parent fill out a I-134 form to be on the safe side. After my I-134 was rejected, I sent 2 affidavits of support, my dad's (including supporting documents from my mom) and my counsin's. (whichever works best for the embassy, but they take into consideration only 1 income). But let me give you a tip: find one co-sponsor with income no less than $50000 per year with household size of no more than 2. Mine was way more than poverty level and it was rejected.

Yea my parents tax returns have been filed jointly so I assume I will be needing both of their affidavits as well as their supporting documents. My dad works for a private school but my mother is self employed. What documents are needed for someone that`s self employed?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No combining of incomes with the I-134. One parent completes the I-134 and supports their individual income claim with recent paystubs and an employer letter.

I would focus on dad if his income will cover his household plus the immigrant. For mom being self employed is going to take more work to separate her income on their 2010 tax return.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

No combining of incomes with the I-134. One parent completes the I-134 and supports their individual income claim with recent paystubs and an employer letter.

I would focus on dad if his income will cover his household plus the immigrant. For mom being self employed is going to take more work to separate her income on their 2010 tax return.

Thanks a lot buddy I`ll go ahead and start gathering my father`s income.

For those who are self employed Tax Returnes are required as well as pay stabs, it will tell you on the form I-134 itself. My dad is self employed, that's why I sent my mom's supporting documents also. Being self employed does not look very good on legal papers. That is why I also sent my cousin't papers.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Anh Map since I will be using a co-sponsor are my bank statements a requirement?

If you don't qualify and need the joint sponsor no need to get the asset info. Close to the line is still under the line. Complete the form with your income information and then have Mom edit: DAD do her I-134 with his individual income information.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.