jivany

Help! I-130 form question!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hi all

Important question..my wife sent me all of her documents. However, she sent me her ORIGINAL birth certificate with the apostille. In El Salvador, once you get married, your birth certificate is ammended to show that you have been married. Was she supposed to get the new birth certificate apostilled or are we ok with the original? Pls advise ASAP!!! Thanks!!

Your wife's BC is not needed for the process. Only the USC BC or passport copy is needed. What point in the process are you guys? Please fill in your timeline if you have filed already.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will need her original or the amended version certified meaning that it comes directly from the government with all the appropriate stamps, seals, etc when you send the DS-230 to NVC in a few months. NVC will not accept copies.

Edited by magical

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Your wife's BC is not needed for the process. Only the USC BC or passport copy is needed. What point in the process are you guys? Please fill in your timeline if you have filed already.

Huh???? My wife doesnt need her birth certificate? Thats the first time I have heard that. I am almost quite positive that we DO need it. We are about to file the I-130 form, but trying to get all of our ducks in a row. A little speed bump we just hit, so we are trying to figure this out asap! Pls advise if that is a sure thing, that my wife does NOT need her birth certificate....

You will need her original or the amended version certified meaning that it comes directly from the government with all the appropriate stamps, seals, etc when you send the DS-230 to NVC in a few months. NVC will not accept copies.

Wait...so can I send the I-130 form with a copy of her ORIGINAL birth certificate? She sent me the one without the amended version. I thought that we need the one WITH the amended version. Again, we are just starting out and about to file the I-130 form...pls advise.

The beneficiary's birth certificate does not need to be submitted with the I-130 petition. You will only need it a few months down the road when you are submitting the DS-230 immigration visa application at NVC.

Edited to add: I'm not sure which version of the birth cert you would need later on though. But I would submit the I-130 now and worry about this after.

Edited by caly

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

You do not need the beneficary's BC to file the I-130. Check out the guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

and the instructions for the I-130 here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

And the above replies are correct...the BC is not needed until the DS-230 package and it does have to be the original "long form" BC. Check out the Wiki here:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/DS-230

I cant comment on your guy's embassy, but if there is an annotation for her marriage that they do in their country...then I suggest to have her get it and send it to you before the NVC stage. So, no worries at this point. You can still send in the I-130 package.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

I'm sorry if I caused any confusion...I know I was not clear in my first reply.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.