Anginafrica

Easing the Transition to U.S. Life...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tanzania
Timeline

Hello fellow VJers, my fiance and I have been approved for our K-1 Fiance Visa and he is arriving here in 6 days. :dance: I'm looking for ways to help ease his transition to life in the United States. I've researched African Immigrant groups in our state (unfortunately they're limited), as well as places that my fiance can volunteer at until he's able to legally work. Being a teacher, he does not like to sit around and do nothing. I would love to hear any and all advice others can offer from their own experience. Thanks!

Edited by Anginafrica

K-1 Journey:

3/30/2011 - NOA1

6/17/2011 - NOA2 (79 Days)!

7/19/2011 - NVC Assigned Case # and Sent to Embassy

7/25/2011 - Embassy Received

7/26/2011 - Packet 3 Picked Up

7/27/2011 - Medical Exam

8/03/2011 - Interview: APPROVED!

8/10/2011 - Visa Received

8/26/2011 - POE (together at last)

9/02/2011 - Wedding! <3

AOS Journey:

09/12/2011 - Mailed AOS, EAD & AP

09/16/2011 - NOA1

10/13/2011 - Biometrics

12/08/2011 - Interview: APPROVED!

12/16/2011 - Greencard Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello fellow VJers, my fiance and I have been approved for our K-1 Fiance Visa and he is arriving here in 6 days. :dance: I'm looking for ways to help ease his transition to life in the United States. I've researched African Immigrant groups in our state (unfortunately they're limited), as well as places that my fiance can volunteer at until he's able to legally work. Being a teacher, he does not like to sit around and do nothing. I would love to hear any and all advice others can offer from their own experience. Thanks!

Congratulations! In our experience, it takes a while for the culture shock to subside, but it's been fun for the most part. Enjoy it...

NVC:

2009-09-11 - NVC received.

2009-12-17 - Case complete e-mail message, sign in failed on website and AVR... YAY!

2009-12-17 - Waiting for an appointment assignment...

2009-12-29 - Interview assigned: February 11, 2010!

2010-01-06 - Case forwarded to consulate.

Consulate:

2010-01-12 - Medical exam part 1 of 2 complete.

2010-01-26 - Medical exam part 2 of 2 complete. Ouchie!

2010-02-11 - Interview results: Administrative Processing 221(g) :-(

2010-04-27 - 2nd interview results: Approved :-)

2010-05-04 - Visa in hand!

2010-05-08 - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Congrats on the approval! I know to ease my husband transition I filled the house with all Nigerian food. I also made sure he could call home as much as possible......other than that there was lots of teachable moments and I enjoyed every moment....they made for great memories.....Goodluck to u guys!

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malawi
Timeline

Hi Anginafrica, what state do you live in? If you are on Facebook, you might be able to do a search for African social groups in your area. Luckily we live in the San Francisco area, which is very diverse. Unfortunately, I only know of 2 Malawians that live here and they live fairly far from us, but we did end up joining the Bay Area South Africans social group here. They are very welcoming even to non-South African's, and I joined them even before my husband arrived as I used to live in both Botswana and Malawi. It has been great - we have big braai's and other events every month, and sometimes soccer games. My husband met a lot of new people this way.

My husband volunteered here also. He was an electrician in Malawi, so he started volunteering some of his time here with an organization called Habitat for Habitat for Humanity (who builds low cost housing for low-income families) to pass the time until he could start his electrical courses here.

Food-wise, we would take his Malawian staple food, nsima, a couple of nights a week when he first arrived. This area is also really diverse food-wise as well, so now he really enjoys sampling foods from all different cultures. We haven't had nsima for at least a few weeks now and he doesn't seem to be wanting it at all at the moment!

One of my first priorities when he arrived was showing him how to get around the neighborhood and all of the transit systems so that he felt comfortable going places on his own.

He also still talks to his friends and family in Malawi 1-2 times a week and keeps in touch with everyone via Facebook. Of course he miss everyone, but overall he tells me he is very happy and comfortable here already, no complaints from him whatsoever.

K-1 Visa
05/17/2010 – Petition mailed to USCIS via certified return receipt.
05/27/2010 – NOA1 issued
06/03/2010 – Touch/NOA1 hard copy received in US Mail
10/27/2010 – 5 month mark
10/28/2010 – Spoke to USCIS representative – 'still pending'
11/04/2010 – Spoke to USCIS representative – 'still pending', but service request generated
11/05/2010 – Notified that background checks are not complete - looks like we're in for a looong wait...
12/07/2010 – Received email notification of NOA2
12/16/2010 – NVC sent the case to Embassy in Malawi
02/28/2011 – Interview
03/14/2011 – VISA APPROVED!
05/04/2011 – Fiance and I came back to the U.S. together! smile.png
07/01/2011 – Married!

AOS
07/02/2011 – I-485 packet mailed to USCIS via certified return receipt.
07/06/2011 – Packet accepted.
07/07/2011 – Check cashed and NOA1 issued.
07/22/2011 – Received biometrics letter.
07/29/2011 – Biometrics completed (walk-in)
08/23/2011 – EAD Approved
08/31/2011 – EAD card arrived in the mail.
09/12/2011 – AOS interview - APPROVED! GC production ordered
09/21/2011 – Green Card received!!!

Removal of Conditions

06/13/2013 - I-751 packet mailed to USCIS via certified return receipt.

06/17/2013 - NOA issued

06/19/2013 - Check cashed

06/21/2013 - Received NOA in mail.

06/26/2013 - Received biometrics letter.

07/02/2013 - Biometrics completed (walk-in)

11/18/2013 - APPROVED! Card production ordered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The transition has brought so many mixed emotions for my husband. He left Nigeria to go to school in London, his family was going to follow. The love of his life (at that time) and mother of his children passed away right after leaving Nigeria. That as we all know made things for him very hard. His daughters in Nigeria were now with his parents and it is a very hard to travel back and forth while on the student visa and limited money to travel on as we all know it cost so much to fly back and forth. We met through a mutal friend and started a relationship, I flew back and forth to London while we were waiting on the visa for him to come to the U.S to be completed. Once he arrived here in the U.S. things were hard at first, he could not just start driving becasue he did not have a U.S. license yet. We live in the country so public transportaition means calling a cab or being dropped off somewhere. For me working full time and him setting home all day while I worked and he did not know anyone but my family and one other friend at the time. So the first months were tough. WOW once he was able to drive I had the life he drove me back and forth to work everyday just so he could have the car during the day until we could get another car. As for his traditional food I was willing to learn how to prepare whatever it was he wanted. His sister's helped me through it and now he also enjoys all types of food. We are currently in the process of bringing the girls here to live with us, they go for their interview on September 9th. PRAISE GOD we will finally have all of our family together, all of us together at last..

My girls + his girls=our girls, happiness and family..

Just a note***For those that are already here in the U.S. and are bringing your loved one over it is up to us to make the journey easier and happier.

May Everyday Be Blessed

Sherri L. Adeladan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.