NinoniAndBoosBoos

1-551 stamp for K1 & POE

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

"You need to cross the border and activate your visa before your unaccompanied belongings will be allowed into the US. Once you get the I-551 stamp in your passport you need to fax a copy of it to the moving company so they can show it at the border and prove that you are authorized to have your personal belongings enter the US."

Hello I found this comment by a fellow VJ'er, and have a question re: I-551 stamp, our K1 was approved, waiting to get the ok to pick up the VISA from DHL, and would like to depart end of August, early Sept to save on fare of flight. I am a bit confused on co-ordinating the actual move with the POE date. I would like to avoid paying the mover for "holding my goods" until I am safely thru customs, the moving company didnt say anything about the 1-551 stamp. I wil double check this with them, but how would I fax it to them from the airport? Do airports provide faxing services? I am not sure where I will depart from, either Pearson in Toronto, or Buffafo. Any advice would be most helpful.

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

K1 doesn't get an I-551 as that is for IR1/CR1 entrants (and others). I-551 serves as temporary green card. K1's have to marry and adjust status in order to be a GC holder.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Betty....I just gave all my stuff to the moving company 2 days before I left. They did not charge me for holding. I filled all the customs paperwork out (unaccompanied goods) On the bottom of the forms I wrote my visa number as there was no place on the forms. Once I got through my POE I called the shipping company and told them to release my shipment. It all went without a hitch.

Hugs

Sent AOS pack......2011-08-08

NOA's dated ..........2011-08-15

Biometrics..............2011-09-13

EAD card.................2011-10-26

AP card....................2011-10-26

AOS approved .......2011-12-19

Green card rec.......2011-12-27

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Betty....I just gave all my stuff to the moving company 2 days before I left. They did not charge me for holding. I filled all the customs paperwork out (unaccompanied goods) On the bottom of the forms I wrote my visa number as there was no place on the forms. Once I got through my POE I called the shipping company and told them to release my shipment. It all went without a hitch.

Hugs

Thanks so much JeannieL, getting closer to the move and I guess I am getting nervous and overwhelmed..you always keep me calm!!!! You are soooo wonderful THANK YOU (F)

K1 doesn't get an I-551 as that is for IR1/CR1 entrants (and others). I-551 serves as temporary green card. K1's have to marry and adjust status in order to be a GC holder.

Thank you for the clarification!!!!

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.