LuvIllinois

Changing my info with Canada Revenue

16 posts in this topic

I'm a little confused...I was reading past topics about this NR73 form and whether to fill it out or not. I gathered the best answer was just NOT to do it, rather to just note on my tax return the day I left Canada. However, I still receive a GST/HST plus Child Tax Benefits for the next few months. Do I still change my info with them on this??? Wouldn't they require me to fill out a NR73 if they see that I am leaving the country on those forms anyway?

Started LDR with hubby July '04, married Nov '06

He moved and became permanent resident of Canada Nov '07

Now, we want to move back to his hometown in Illinois!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

I-130 sent to Toronto Embassy: September 12, 2010

Initial approval at Toronto Embassy: November 19, 2010

Packet 3 rec'd January 28, 2011

Packet 4 rec'd March 21, 2011

Medical May 16, 2011

Interview July 12, 2011 - Approved!

Visa/Passport picked up DHL July 22, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

All my wife did was file her tax return saying she left Canada and filed to permanently cancel her OHIP. Eventually (6 months-ish) she got a bill for the rebate money she wasn't entitled to.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a little confused...I was reading past topics about this NR73 form and whether to fill it out or not. I gathered the best answer was just NOT to do it, rather to just note on my tax return the day I left Canada. However, I still receive a GST/HST plus Child Tax Benefits for the next few months. Do I still change my info with them on this??? Wouldn't they require me to fill out a NR73 if they see that I am leaving the country on those forms anyway?

i called everyone and just informed them that I moved to the states. Child tax,Gst etc.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

Ya, some say fil it out, some say don't!! I didn't fil it out. On the tax form, on the front page it asks you the date you became or CEASED to be a Cdn resident! I crossed into the USA on Dec 18 2004 and that was the date I used. For fun I checked off the box for the GST credit, even though I made too much $$$, I got a letter in the mail saying I was not entitled to it as I was deemed a non-resident as of Dec 18 2004! Best of luck.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

FYI that you are not entitled to receive the CTB or the GST/HST credit as soon as you become a non resident (the day you move down here). They will make you pay it back when they figure out the date you left. Save yourself the trouble of having to pay them back and call them to tell them you are no longer a resident now and have them stop payments. CTB is actually a separate branch and they don't seem to talk to the regular CRA folks....it took them a long time to figure it it with me (I didn;t know gtaht I should ahve called them) and I ended up having to pay back every $ that I received after moving....which sucked because it had been long spent.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

FYI that you are not entitled to receive the CTB or the GST/HST credit as soon as you become a non resident (the day you move down here). They will make you pay it back when they figure out the date you left. Save yourself the trouble of having to pay them back and call them to tell them you are no longer a resident now and have them stop payments. CTB is actually a separate branch and they don't seem to talk to the regular CRA folks....it took them a long time to figure it it with me (I didn;t know gtaht I should ahve called them) and I ended up having to pay back every $ that I received after moving....which sucked because it had been long spent.

I have to second this... except I called them before I left and they still sent me money and I had to call them a second time.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

I have to second this... except I called them before I left and they still sent me money and I had to call them a second time.

Yep - they seem fairly stubborn about canceling the benefits...you'd think they'd want to stop paying if they didn't have to !

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

That's good to know and I'd rather just cancel it all now and not have to pay it all back. So what y'all are saying is ,I'm still ok to change my info with CRA/CTB without having to fill out that form, right?

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Timeline

That's good to know and I'd rather just cancel it all now and not have to pay it all back. So what y'all are saying is ,I'm still ok to change my info with CRA/CTB without having to fill out that form, right?

yes - I was one of the people who filled it out and it was pain in the a$$ - I misunderstood the wording of one of the questions and they ended up considering me a resident when I was not (even though I had moved here)- I then had to file a 2nd NR73 to correct that and it went on for months. I ended up paying tax in both countries the first year and it was a major CF. I would NOT recommend the NR73 becaus eof my negative experience, but I can onlt tell you how I feel about it.

Just mark it on your tax return next Feb and be done :thumbs:

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

I thought you were to tell them the day you either left Canada, or the day you became a resident of the place you moved to?

When do you become a non-resident?

When you leave Canada to settle in another country, you usually become a non-resident of Canada for income tax purposes on the latest of the following dates:

the date you leave Canada;

the date your spouse or common-law partner and dependents leave Canada; or

the date you become a resident of the country to which you are immigrating.

Here is the link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/lvng-eng.html

If you don't have your greencard yet, or you are a K-1 and have no status for a while, should you wait until you have status to say something?

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Timeline

I thought you were to tell them the day you either left Canada, or the day you became a resident of the place you moved to?

When do you become a non-resident?

When you leave Canada to settle in another country, you usually become a non-resident of Canada for income tax purposes on the latest of the following dates:

the date you leave Canada;

the date your spouse or common-law partner and dependents leave Canada; or

the date you become a resident of the country to which you are immigrating.

Here is the link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/lvng-eng.html

If you don't have your greencard yet, or you are a K-1 and have no status for a while, should you wait until you have status to say something?

You're still NOT entitled to GST/HST or CTB regardless.

You're right - it is a bit of a grey area isn't it

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

You're still NOT entitled to GST/HST or CTB regardless.

You're right - it is a bit of a grey area isn't it

It is :S

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

1) Never ever file the CR-73 unless CRA asks you to.

2) It's almost impossible to get them to stop the GST and CTB benefits until you file the Leaving Canada return. All I can say is to keep that money in an account and do not touch it. You will get a bill from CRA for the difference.

The date is a bit of a gray area, but CRA generally considersthe day you enter on a K-1 as your intent to leave Canada permanently and reside in the other country. You are eligible to collect EI based on that permise.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Another thing...I can see why I wouldn't be eligible for GST/CTB for the next tax years, but the amount I'm receiving now is based on the 2010 tax year, I lived here that whole year. Why couldn't I receive the rest of that money? (I'm entering on a IR-1, btw)

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Another thing...I can see why I wouldn't be eligible for GST/CTB for the next tax years, but the amount I'm receiving now is based on the 2010 tax year, I lived here that whole year. Why couldn't I receive the rest of that money? (I'm entering on a IR-1, btw)

They amout they are paying you is based on your 2010 income, but the payments are for 2011 and you are eliglble for them only as long as you are a Canadian resident in 2011.

If you are entering on an IR-1, your date is definitely the day you activate the visa.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.