CanuckGurl

Montreal Embassy/Consulate Question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just received notifcation that my CR-1 interview has been scheduled for Sept 2nd in Montreal.

Can anyone tell me how much time I need to plan to spend in Montreal, beyond arriving the day before so I can be on time for the 8am time slot I got? Should I be planning on staying a few days or leaving on Sept 3rd?

Thanks! :)

Yesterday is HISTORY

Tomorrow is a MYSTERY

Today is a GIFT, that's why we call it the PRESENT.

vkzhm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First, you don't want to be there at 8am. You want to be there at 6:30am when the line starts to form.

If you wait until 8am you will be there all day

Next, will you have your medical complete before you leave for Montreal or will you be doing the medical IN Montreal?

If you already have your medical done, then you only really need to be there 1 day before. We spent a few days there as a mini vacation as we love Montreal a lot

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I just received notifcation that my CR-1 interview has been scheduled for Sept 2nd in Montreal.

Can anyone tell me how much time I need to plan to spend in Montreal, beyond arriving the day before so I can be on time for the 8am time slot I got? Should I be planning on staying a few days or leaving on Sept 3rd?

Thanks! :)

I agree, be in line @ 6:30am, do not take your purse, just your paperwork, security goes through everything and it slows you down. We had a 8am and were out at 9:20am. We flew home that afternoon. Good luck!!

Marriage 2010-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2010-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-10-20

I-130 Approved : 2011-03-31

NVC Received : 2011-04-13

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-04-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-04-22

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-04-26

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-05-03

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2011-05-01

Receive IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Pay IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Receive Instruction Package : 2011-04-29

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-05-20

Interview Date Montreal : 2011-07-19

Interview Result : Approved

POE Coutts, Ab : 2011-07-29

I-751 Sent : May 01, 2013

Early Biometrics : May 28, 2013

I-751 Approved: August 26, 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Timeline

Yep, agree with the above, assuming you have your medical before hand. Be in line at 6:30am. I was there at 6:50am and there were four people ahead of me.

Bring originals of everything including your AOS. I can't stress this enough.

Don't bring a purse, cell, etc... Only your documents in a binder or folder.

Sit closest to the elevator and go to the back and turn around the face the opposite wall (it opens from the other side. Follow the yellow lines on the floor and take your number.

I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Express. It was $100 a night. It was clean, a $5 cab ride to the consulate (or could have walked it in about 10 min but I saved myself some time in the morning). It's about a 5 min walk to Old Montreal which I did the evening that I checked in - just to get a little site seeing in and grab dinner at the same time.

I took the train home the same day back to Toronto.

Message me if you have any more questions - I just had my interview last week. Unfortunately I was refused until I submitted one additional piece of documentation. There are a few things I would have done differently. Also there are some great reviews/tips in the Consulate review section here too - http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Canada

Good luck!

Yep, agree with the above, assuming you have your medical before hand. Be in line at 6:30am. I was there at 6:50am and there were four people ahead of me.

Bring originals of everything including your AOS. I can't stress this enough.

Don't bring a purse, cell, etc... Only your documents in a binder or folder.

Sit closest to the elevator and go to the back and turn around the face the opposite wall (it opens from the other side. Follow the yellow lines on the floor and take your number.

I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Express. It was $100 a night. It was clean, a $5 cab ride to the consulate (or could have walked it in about 10 min but I saved myself some time in the morning). It's about a 5 min walk to Old Montreal which I did the evening that I checked in - just to get a little site seeing in and grab dinner at the same time.

I took the train home the same day back to Toronto.

Message me if you have any more questions - I just had my interview last week. Unfortunately I was refused until I submitted one additional piece of documentation. There are a few things I would have done differently. Also there are some great reviews/tips in the Consulate review section here too - http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Canada

Good luck!

When you say bring originals of everything, what if originals were submitted to the NVC? Everything on the Interview letter is a Y R O or F.

Timeline

When you say bring originals of everything, what if originals were submitted to the NVC? Everything on the Interview letter is a Y R O or F.

That was me too, you do not need originals, they give them back to you at the interview. You do need to have a fillled in copy of the DS230. Do it at home before you come. I stayed at the Holiday Inn too, 10 minute walk if that.

Good Luck!

Marriage 2010-10-09

That was me too, you do not need originals, they give them back to you at the interview. You do need to have a fillled in copy of the DS230. Do it at home before you come. I stayed at the Holiday Inn too, 10 minute walk if that.

Good Luck!

Thanks. I had submitted a DS-230 prior to the DS-260 so can I just bring a copy of that?

Timeline

First, you don't want to be there at 8am. You want to be there at 6:30am when the line starts to form.

If you wait until 8am you will be there all day

Next, will you have your medical complete before you leave for Montreal or will you be doing the medical IN Montreal?

If you already have your medical done, then you only really need to be there 1 day before. We spent a few days there as a mini vacation as we love Montreal a lot

Good luck

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to be there early - I have to get my medical done still too (which they said to not book until you have the interview time in their guidelines).

I'm going to look at the cost of getting it done in Vancouver vs Montreal - probably in Montreal though since it will be all in one city. I am coming from Northern BC - Peace River Region - so all of it is not easily accessible / inexpensive. :)

I have all F / Y / O / R on my correspondence so I think I only need to show up with my renewed passport and my medical, according to what they put in my letter. I've sent them originals of everything along with a duplicate copy of everything.

Thanks again! Sure hope I get to go "home" next month after the interview!

Yesterday is HISTORY

Tomorrow is a MYSTERY

Today is a GIFT, that's why we call it the PRESENT.

vkzhm4.png

Timeline

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to be there early - I have to get my medical done still too (which they said to not book until you have the interview time in their guidelines).

I'm going to look at the cost of getting it done in Vancouver vs Montreal - probably in Montreal though since it will be all in one city. I am coming from Northern BC - Peace River Region - so all of it is not easily accessible / inexpensive. :)

I have all F / Y / O / R on my correspondence so I think I only need to show up with my renewed passport and my medical, according to what they put in my letter. I've sent them originals of everything along with a duplicate copy of everything.

Thanks again! Sure hope I get to go "home" next month after the interview!

I didn't use the DS230 that you get when you send it in electronically. I opened up the pdf form and typed in my information from the electronic form, they are different. That's the one I handed in and they were happy with that. Also you need three full business days to get the results for your medical. I did my medical in Montreal on Wednesday and had to wait until Monday after 2pm to pick up the results, my interview was the next morning at 8am. Medysis does open at 7am to allow you to pick it up the day of your interview but I couldn't leave it until the last minute. If you get it done in Montreal they will ask you when your interview is and then they pick the day for the medical appt.

It isn't as scary as it seems, especially for us VJ'ers, we definitely have the info we need here. :dance:

Good luck!

Marriage 2010-10-09

Timeline

Sorry, I should have clarified.

When you file online you scan your documents. I needed to bring original documents to the actual interview (birth certificate, marriage certificate, police clearance, medical sealed, AOS original document with live signatures not scanned).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.