Liven

J1, marriage and travel

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

I'm a French citizen. I will marry a US citizen next June (2012).

I will have a visa J1, since I will be doing an internship in the USA (science field) from March to August 2012.

We also have a ceremony in France, to celebrate with my family, in July 2012 (followed by a week of honeymoon in France)

I will not be subject to the two year residency, and have never been. I never outstayed my visas (all J1s), and always respected all the laws.

We plan on living in France afterward, either at the end of my internship (September 2012), of, if i'm accepted as a phD student, after the completion of my phD.

When we are married, and go to France to celebrate, I will be under my J1 visa (I won't file for the Green card just after the wedding, if I ever do apply for it).

But then, I have to go back to the USA in order to complete my internship. So I plan on coming back to the USA under my J1 visa, even though I'm married to a US citizen, since we plan on going back to France afterward.

I will have a plane ticket (at least I think) USA -> France, by the time i go back to the USA to finish this internship. So I will be able to show it to the US custom if they doubt my intention.

My questions are the followings :

After the France wedding and honeymoon, when i come back with my DS 2019 and J1 visa (non-immigrant visa, without 2 years home residency) :

- Can the US custom see on their screen that I have married a US citizen recently ? (I'm not sure how they would know)

- If they do, can they deny me access to the american ground once at the US airport ? (saying that they think i will want to stay there, and adjust my status)

- If they try to deport me, will my proofs that i plan on going back to France (plane ticket, car ownership documents,...) be okay ?

What do you think ?

I hope this message was understandable (Visa issues are kind of complicated, to say the least).

Thank you in advance for your answers !

PS : I'm not sure I'm in the right section. If i'm not : Sorry !

It's not illegal to be married to a USC. They can't see it on their computer, but if they ask you should tell the truth and have proof of your plans to return to France after J-1 is over.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

It's not illegal to be married to a USC. They can't see it on their computer, but if they ask you should tell the truth and have proof of your plans to return to France after J-1 is over.

What I'm worried of is that they ask, and don't believe me despite the proof, and prevent me from coming back on the USA ground (which would be incredibly bad for my studies/future).

I truly think I'm in my right there, but i know they do kind of whatever they want.

Bring proof of your husband's plans to return to France too. I know it's scary, but CBP that aren't capricious and will follow the law. It is not illegal to be married to a USC.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.