mmmbop1976

Looking for opinions on this

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ok folks, i have a question, looking for your opinions....if you saw this post:

"Here is an interesting video in which the first part discuss how the Bush administration decided to "stop calling it torture and start calling it pressure and if someone died in custody that is even better!"

and "even torture small children in front of their parents, even sexually".

"bush even claimed having 'executive authority' to ignore ANY federal law he wished.""

would you think that the poster of that was trying to give the impression that president bush condones torture of children in front of their parents, even sexually?

that post did appear in another thread on vj, just wondering what your thoughts are on it

Edited by mmmbop1976

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I can't view youtube, don't know why. Probably blocked or network traffic.

I don't think anyone would condone abusing children, even President Bush.

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

Timeline
We're going to be great friends, mmmmmmmmmbop. :yes:;)

:thumbs:

There's what's in the video vs. how it was presented.

If you disagree with the presentation, you can always watch the video. I don't see the issue personally.

ok, thx erekose. that is what got me going on this, though, the way it was presented. i know what is in the video, but i got the impression that it was presented in such a way as to make it look as if gwb was saying torture of children was ok, so that if someone reading it did not look at the video for whatever reason but just took the posters word for it, well, to me that is propaganda. and that is what i wanted opinions on, the way it is presented, what does it look like is being conveyed.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
ok, thx erekose. that is what got me going on this, though, the way it was presented. i know what is in the video, but i got the impression that it was presented in such a way as to make it look as if gwb was saying torture of children was ok, so that if someone reading it did not look at the video for whatever reason but just took the posters word for it, well, to me that is propaganda. and that is what i wanted opinions on, the way it is presented, what does it look like is being conveyed.

It depends on the intention - propaganda is intentional, a poor choice of words is not.

But again - the video is there for people to watch, and I'm not sure on the basis of a single forum post or even the video that any reasonable person would think that the administration condones the sexual abuse of children.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Looks to me like a cleverly edited piece of video to create a lot of Bush scandal. I only heard the narrator talk about torturing children, and even if it was true that kind of information would never be put on paper, so I wouldn't believe the memos which quickly float across the screen.

The 'probably cause' vs 'reasonable belief' bit was interesting. But again I think they manipulated the video to make it appear the people's constitutional rights are in jeopardy. As an outsider we see that nothing is held more sacred to Americans that their constitutional rights and therefore encouraging outrage and fear.

Edited by michellek1976

Timeline
It depends on the intention - propaganda is intentional, a poor choice of words is not.

But again - the video is there for people to watch, and I'm not sure on the basis of a single forum post or even the video that any reasonable person would think that the administration condones the sexual abuse of children.

exactly my point erekose...when you put the excerpt "bush also claimed", it implies he claimed somthing else before this, hence the word "also" in there...and what is posted just before that, the excerpt about torturing children, as if this were the 1st thing bush claimed. i saw it as intentional propaganda and i took great offense to somebody trying to promulgate that kind of propaganda about the president, whoever the president is.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

exactly my point erekose...when you put the excerpt "bush also claimed", it implies he claimed somthing else before this, hence the word "also" in there...and what is posted just before that, the excerpt about torturing children, as if this were the 1st thing bush claimed. i saw it as intentional propaganda and i took great offense to somebody trying to promulgate that kind of propaganda about the president, whoever the president is.

Except that your interpretation may be different from the original intention. If it was, as I said, merely a poor choice of words (and it is entirely possibly to quote something out of context and in doing so, change the meaning) - but that's far short of propaganda.

As I said, I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this one post. In fact, I believe the guy clarified his position on the original thread here