edsotherhalf

Visa and POE

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is all finished!!!! I am already in Arizona. We got he email on Weds morning that my visa was available for pickup. We also found a truck at last minute so drove for 2.5 hours to get the truck, back to Edmonton, I went and picked up my visa and pkg, loaded truck and crossed border the next day. We went through Coutts. They never opened the truck or asked to see anything. We waited the 1.5 hours for a officer to do the paperwork. This was her first immigration so she wanted to make sure everything was done properly. No hassles. We arrived in Phoenix today. UHaul was great, no breakdowns at all. It took a long time to get that visa back and still have no explanation as to why.

It is all finished!!!! I am already in Arizona. We got he email on Weds morning that my visa was available for pickup. We also found a truck at last minute so drove for 2.5 hours to get the truck, back to Edmonton, I went and picked up my visa and pkg, loaded truck and crossed border the next day. We went through Coutts. They never opened the truck or asked to see anything. We waited the 1.5 hours for a officer to do the paperwork. This was her first immigration so she wanted to make sure everything was done properly. No hassles. We arrived in Phoenix today. UHaul was great, no breakdowns at all. It took a long time to get that visa back and still have no explanation as to why.

Congratulations!! That wait must have been awful, but at least you're together now!! :)

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Waiting is always the hard part, now you are in Phoenix, now brave the heat.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

for the poe does it have to be a certain poe or can you go thru any border??? thanks in advance for any response

It's probably a good idea to go through busier POEs because they'll be more familiar with how to process a visa. I suppose you're allowed to go through any kind of border but the smaller ones might not know what to do with certain visas.

Timeline

YEAH!!! I am so happy for you that your POE went so smoothly and your trip was uneventful. You arrrived safely in Arizona! Enjoy settling into your new home!

Lise

Edited by Lise + Michael

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Timeline

It's probably a good idea to go through busier POEs because they'll be more familiar with how to process a visa. I suppose you're allowed to go through any kind of border but the smaller ones might not know what to do with certain visas.

[/quote)

My POE will be a smaller border crossing. I called there the other day and they were very friendly and appeared to know all about the K1 visa. I imagine any new employee no matter the size of the border would take longer to process the forms. He did say to be prepared to wait. I too will have a truck load of stuff but have itemized each box just in case. I am hoping for my POE at the end of August.

Have a great day,

Lise

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Congratulations!!! :)

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations! biggrin.gif

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations! Glad to hear you are "landed" :-)

I went through Coutts on Friday, the long weekend Friday of all things and we were through in 45 minutes. No wait except for our turn. It is a smaller port but the officer knew his stuff and was very friendly.I asked him if he was going to officially welcome me to the USA and he smiled and did,,, haha We were a bit happy to say the least....

I find they are more lax at smaller crossings, the biggers ones tend to go more by the book. At least that's my experience, I have crossed here for the last 1 1/2 yrs with no hassles, tried to cross at New York whilie we were in Montreal to see my stepdaughter and her family and got turned back because they wanted 48 hrs notice to give me a parole.

I am going back home tomorrow, I work until Sept 15th and then I will move permanently, I still have a house to sell so can leave my furniture there until then. Apparently you have an indefinite time to do that. I think I will sell my car too, too much paperwork to bring it over and it's not worth it..

I do wonder now that I am officially in the US am I breaking the law by working in Canada until Sept 15??

Anyway, enjoy Arizona, big change from Edmonton Wow!!

I'm just 4 hrs south in Helena, not a big change just a different country!:dance:

Marriage 2010-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2010-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-10-20

I-130 Approved : 2011-03-31

NVC Received : 2011-04-13

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-04-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-04-22

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-04-26

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-05-03

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2011-05-01

Receive IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Pay IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Receive Instruction Package : 2011-04-29

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-05-20

Interview Date Montreal : 2011-07-19

Interview Result : Approved

POE Coutts, Ab : 2011-07-29

I-751 Sent : May 01, 2013

Early Biometrics : May 28, 2013

I-751 Approved: August 26, 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Timeline

I am not sure about the still working in Canada thing. I guess if you haven't actually made "the move" yet you should be okay. I think its cool that now I can go back to Canada and stay as long as I want with no hassles and can come to the States and stay as long as I want to with no hassles. Hubby is restricted to 6 mos in Canada at a time with a lot of questions. HEHEHE.

Edmonton to Arizona is a big change. It is so flippin hot here that I am restricted to staying indoors. May get cabin fever. I have been told that is like season changes. At home we stay in in the winter, here you stay in in the summer. You put flowering pots out from Jan to May rather than May to Oct.

The girl doing out border crossing was very friendly and wanted to make sure she had done everything right. Apparently there is 8 steps she had to do. They took my one finger print and they are the ones that generate my green card. Now waiting for my SSN to start looking for work which won't happen until after I return to Canada the end of September for the birth of first grandchild.

Congratulations! Glad to hear you are "landed" :-)

I went through Coutts on Friday, the long weekend Friday of all things and we were through in 45 minutes. No wait except for our turn. It is a smaller port but the officer knew his stuff and was very friendly.I asked him if he was going to officially welcome me to the USA and he smiled and did,,, haha We were a bit happy to say the least....

I find they are more lax at smaller crossings, the biggers ones tend to go more by the book. At least that's my experience, I have crossed here for the last 1 1/2 yrs with no hassles, tried to cross at New York whilie we were in Montreal to see my stepdaughter and her family and got turned back because they wanted 48 hrs notice to give me a parole.

I am going back home tomorrow, I work until Sept 15th and then I will move permanently, I still have a house to sell so can leave my furniture there until then. Apparently you have an indefinite time to do that. I think I will sell my car too, too much paperwork to bring it over and it's not worth it..

I do wonder now that I am officially in the US am I breaking the law by working in Canada until Sept 15??

Anyway, enjoy Arizona, big change from Edmonton Wow!!

I'm just 4 hrs south in Helena, not a big change just a different country!:dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.