Derek & Rita

marriage in russia (I'm from USA)

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I was married twice, now I will get married in Russia - I see that I need to have a certified, apostilled, translated copy of my divorce decree saying that I am single or "free to marry". I was married and divorced twice (third time's a charm!) and wondering if anyone has experience with this... Do I need a copy of my first divorce papers, or do they only need the latest one? I think they would only need the latest one, but I don't want to go there unprepared.

Also, I see that I need to have all my paperwork approved by the ministry of foreign affairs... and it will take at least 5 days for that. How has your experience been? Has it taken the full 5 days, or was it done sooner? Also, how much time should I plan to be there? I can take two weeks vacation, but over that and I just can't afford it. Unfortunately, I can't wait, we need to be married before the baby is born. Then I'll have to handle the CRBA.

Well, any advice or similar experiences is helpful. I'm hoping to go to Moscow to make it all happen in a few weeks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I was married twice, now I will get married in Russia - I see that I need to have a certified, apostilled, translated copy of my divorce decree saying that I am single or "free to marry". I was married and divorced twice (third time's a charm!) and wondering if anyone has experience with this... Do I need a copy of my first divorce papers, or do they only need the latest one? I think they would only need the latest one, but I don't want to go there unprepared.

Also, I see that I need to have all my paperwork approved by the ministry of foreign affairs... and it will take at least 5 days for that. How has your experience been? Has it taken the full 5 days, or was it done sooner? Also, how much time should I plan to be there? I can take two weeks vacation, but over that and I just can't afford it. Unfortunately, I can't wait, we need to be married before the baby is born. Then I'll have to handle the CRBA.

Well, any advice or similar experiences is helpful. I'm hoping to go to Moscow to make it all happen in a few weeks.

All divorce decrees are needed for both petitioner and beneficiary certified copies definitely

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

Send me a personal email and I will let you know how I got married in Russia (ZAGS) in 2 days even though by Russian order you must wait 32 days after permisson.

USCIS

05/31/2011- mailed I-130 petition

06/06/2011- email and text NOA1, routed to CSC

06/07/2011- check cashed

06/10/2011 - Received NOA1 hard copy

07/06/2011 - NOA2 Notice date (30 days from NOA1 email, I could not believe it!)

07/12/2011 - NOA2 Received in mail yay!

NVC

07/25/2011 - case arrives at NVC

08/01/2011 - NVC advised petition in building since 7/25/11 and need 4-6 weeks to enter into system. what!!

08/17/2011 - NVC case# given to me 42 days after notice date 7/06/11, 23 days after case arrived at NVC on 7/25/11

8/18/11 - now waiting for bills to be generated and submit DS-3032,I-864ez,DS-230 I suspect to here at NVC for another 2-3 weeks.

8/20/2011 - AOS bill generated and paid $88 online (pending)

8/21/2011 - Resend DS-3032 via email

8/24/2011 - AOS bill shows paid and printed cover page

8/25/2011 - DS_3032 chose of agent approved

8/25/2011 - mailed Affidavit of support and tax documents

8/26/2011 - AOS and tax documents arrived, letter signed by NVC

8/28/2011 - IV bill generated and paid $404 online (pending)

8/30/2011 - IV bill shows paid and printed cover page

8/31/2011 - NVC Operator advise over the phone that AOS is approved

9/17/2011 - mailed DS-230

9/20/2011 - NVC received DS-230

9/23/2011 - NVC case completed, waiting for interview date

9/30/2011 - NVC advises that case complete, interview date 11/09/2011 yay!!!

10/21/2011 - had a great time with my wife and in-laws in Russia! miss her already!

11/09/2011 - Visa Approved!!!!

Send me a personal email and I will let you know how I got married in Russia (ZAGS) in 2 days even though by Russian order you must wait 32 days after permisson.

Or you could share it here so others could benefit. :)

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I can't say exactly how it is in Russia, but I would imagine pretty similar to Ukraine. We had similar requirements to getting married. We went to the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv to get a letter of non-impediment to marriage (basically document stating that I was single which I swore to before a consular officer. Took this to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs the same day and got all that done. Bypassed the normal waiting period with a friendly donation to the correct official.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Timeline

Getting married in 2 days in Russia is easy. First you can simply bribe the Palace of Marriage staff (ZAGS) (which you will want to do anyway to get processed quickly in all ways (greece the skids)) and/or go to a Russian doctor and get him to write up your future wife is pregnant. Of course, this will require a bribe as well. Viola! Quickie marriage. Now, mind you, I not advocating any of this dubious behavior. B-)

BTW, you can attach scanned copies of your documents and send via email and have your fiancee take them to ZAGS to start the process now...then bring the originals when you come. One thing you'll need is a notarized letter (statement of oath) with your state Apostiile Stamp that you are single and free to marry. This is needed as well as divorce papers. Some folks who get married in Moscow go to the Embassy and take an oath they're free to marry but you don't have to.

Timeline

Getting married in 2 days in Russia is easy. First you can simply bribe the Palace of Marriage staff (ZAGS) (which you will want to do anyway to get processed quickly in all ways (greece the skids)) and/or go to a Russian doctor and get him to write up your future wife is pregnant. Of course, this will require a bribe as well. Viola! Quickie marriage. Now, mind you, I not advocating any of this dubious behavior. B-)

BTW, you can attach scanned copies of your documents and send via email and have your fiancee take them to ZAGS to start the process now...then bring the originals when you come. One thing you'll need is a notarized letter (statement of oath) with your state Apostiile Stamp that you are single and free to marry. This is needed as well as divorce papers. Some folks who get married in Moscow go to the Embassy and take an oath they're free to marry but you don't have to.

Well, my documents are not yet translated into Russian. I read that I must have them translated there by a certified translator. I could scan them and send them to her to have them translated, that could certainly save me some time. Yes, if she starts the process tomorrow, then we don't have to wait so long if the timer starts tomorrow.

I wasn't aware that I needed to swear an oath that I am free to marry. I read that they don't do that at the US consulate there, and my divorce paperwork is enough. Is that not the case? I have no problem with doing it, but it adds another step, and I must make an appointment to do that, yes?

Timeline

Well, my documents are not yet translated into Russian. I read that I must have them translated there by a certified translator. I could scan them and send them to her to have them translated, that could certainly save me some time. Yes, if she starts the process tomorrow, then we don't have to wait so long if the timer starts tomorrow.

I wasn't aware that I needed to swear an oath that I am free to marry. I read that they don't do that at the US consulate there, and my divorce paperwork is enough. Is that not the case? I have no problem with doing it, but it adds another step, and I must make an appointment to do that, yes?

I married in another Russian city so I can't speak as an expert on marriage in Moscow and the oath...but I know I had to provide a notarized oath that I was single and free to marry. This also required an Apostille stamp which is easy and usually pretty fast to get through your state's "Secretary of State." Most of your US documents (birth certificate, divorce papers, etc.) will need the Apostille stamp.

In Moscow it may be you will have to go to the Russian Embassy for some paperwork of this nature. I seem to remember that as part of the process. There are good step-by-step instructions on marrying in Russia on the US Moscow and St. Petersburg Embassy websites. FYI, I got married a number of years ago, so my info may be outdated at this time.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Got it all done. I was able to get it done in two weeks time. I got the legalization of my "declaration of no impediment" last wednesday, and was married last friday, after talking with the nachilnik and filling out an "exception form".

This was at Zags #4 moscow. Just an FYI in case someone else is interested.

Timeline

Got it all done. I was able to get it done in two weeks time. I got the legalization of my "declaration of no impediment" last wednesday, and was married last friday, after talking with the nachilnik and filling out an "exception form".

This was at Zags #4 moscow. Just an FYI in case someone else is interested.

Also, they only needed my most recent divorce. The two documents confused the poor lady.

Congratulations!! :thumbs:

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.