xocanin

Sending heavy stuff to the US?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey guys,

I'm moving to America from Brazil next month around the 15th, but I'm not bringing enough stuff with me to justify paying an international moving company. However I cannot bring everything without going way over the weight limit of the airline (and I would need more than 2 suitcases, too).

It's mostly books -- I have a huge amount of very large, thick, heavy hardcover art books. Many of them are rare/out of print, so I really don't want to part with them. But I don't have $100000000000000 to ship them to the US by mail.

Are there any services that you know of which will let me send these books to America for a reasonable price? I'm looking at (seriously) about 140lbs worth of books here. My fiance and I have done a lot of Googling but we're only coming up with shady-looking businesses and/or very expensive moving companies.

Has anyone done business with these guys?

Thanks in advance! (L)

12/23/2010 - filed

05/02/2011 - petition approved

07/19/2011 - interview (approved!!!!!)

08/16/2011 - POE Houston TX

09/19/2011 - married!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you contacted UTS International? They do smaller moves as well and are a fantastic company. I know shipping things from Europe to the US is by volume and not weight, not sure about from South America.

07-06-2003 - Started Dating

04-21-2009 - Got Engaged

04-24-2010 - Got Married

04-20-2011 - Filed I-130 at Amsterdam

05-20-2011 - Our I-130 was sent to Frankfurt for further processing

05-20-2011 - Waiting

06-20-2011 - Waiting

07-20-2011 - Waiting

08-20-2011 - Waiting...

09-17-2011 - Received request for further evidence

10-04-2011 - Evidence received by Frankfurt

Timeline

Solution. New life, new stuff. Therefore, sell your furniture. Take only the necessary things.

There is no furniture. It's only my rare books. I said that pretty clearly on my first post.

Thanks Niels Bohr I will check them out.

12/23/2010 - filed

09/19/2011 - married!

Some airlines allow you to send luggage unaccompanied. It could be cheaper than using a moving/shipping company. Maybe you would like to call your airline to find out? Also, if your books would fit into a suitcase, maybe you would just like to pay for that extra bag? My airline charged a hundred odd for an extra bag but sending it as unaccompanied luggage was cheaper.

Edited by threeoceans

Resident since 08-02-2011

Timeline

Some airlines allow you to send luggage unaccompanied. It could be cheaper than using a moving/shipping company. Maybe you would like to call your airline to find out? Also, if your books would fit into a suitcase, maybe you would just like to pay for that extra bag? My airline charged a hundred odd for an extra bag but sending it as unaccompanied luggage was cheaper.

Yeah we looked into that but it would be $150 per bag and we're looking at 4, maybe 5 bags... which is why I said it's a lot of books. Haha. It's all good, though. There is just no way we can afford any of this right now, so we just went ahead and bought me a ticket and I'm leaving the books behind. Being with my fiance is a lot more important than a bunch of old art books, and working this out was taking way too much time. I'm leaving on the 15th. I can find new books. :)

Thanks for your help, everyone!

12/23/2010 - filed

09/19/2011 - married!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.