mugs

Temp work O.K. for I-864?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I want to submit the I-864 with the NVC (along with the DS-230 for my stepdaughter's visa, unmarried, over 21) but my employment will be through a temp agency. I assume that as long as I have the check stubs and letter of employment(from the company; stating that I work there and make XX amount) that it should be acceptable? Is it seen in a bad light by the person processing the app?

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

If the income is regular and reliable, there shouldn't be any problems. What the US government is interested in is a reliable and consistent source of income. If the temp agency is sending you out sporadically with periods where you are not working, then you might have a problem showing it to be reliable and consistent.

Timeline

O.K. thanks. The other thing I was worried about was this; Let's say I get a job with a temp agency. I send in the I-864 and it looks good. How long do I have to have that job for in order to get the I-864 application to go through? I mean, will the NVC call and/or try to verify that I still have that job while they are processing the application? I know it takes about 20 days for them to process right? I guess the same question would apply for the point in time when my stepdaughter goes for the interview. At that time would they look to see if I still have that same job?

Thanks for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you have a different job by the time the interview comes around, you must supply an updated I-864.

Temp jobs are allowed, but it is up to the discretion of the CO. So for example if your temp job ends two months after the interview, or makes just on the 125% guideline, it will probably not be allowed. If it's a temp-to-permanent job, or a year+ contract, it will probably be allowed.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

If you have a different job by the time the interview comes around, you must supply an updated I-864.

Temp jobs are allowed, but it is up to the discretion of the CO. So for example if your temp job ends two months after the interview, or makes just on the 125% guideline, it will probably not be allowed. If it's a temp-to-permanent job, or a year+ contract, it will probably be allowed.

I see. So it sounds like on the day of the interview, (even though the I-864 has been submitted and approved) you still have to be prepared to show that you have either that job or another comparable job. Is that correct?

Timeline

Yes. And NVC doesn't approve the I-864, they just give it a quick check; it is the CO at interview who approves it.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

O.K thanks. And what is the usual range in time it takes from sending in the I-864 and DS-230 to getting the interview?

I know the NVC told me once when I called that after they get the apps (I-864 and DS-230) that you still have to wait for a visa # to become available? I wasn't sure what that meant because I thought that getting the go-ahead to pay for, and send in the apps meant that one was available.

Timeline

Waiting for a visa number to become available only applies for certain categories of visas, not for the spouse of a US citizen. I am not sure how long it takes from NVC to interview for China; I think it depends on whether you elect to do electronic processing. I'd post a separate question asking that in the China forum here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/94-china/ They may also be able to give you a better idea of what the US Embassy in China wants in regards to the I-864.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.