PastryChef

Question for Canadians

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I definitely miss Twizzlers! They taste much different in the US. I'm not sure why, but they are so much better in Canada.

I think it's the sugar type they use. I hear Canadian soda versions of Coke, Pepsi are somehow sweeter as it's a totally different way the sugar is done. So the same goes for candies and such, where they just use a different type or different process for the sugar they add. In soda too, the water used is also another big thing that determines taste (but not for candies I don't think).

The US generally uses pure sugar, while Canada uses a sugar corn syrup...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it's the sugar type they use. I hear Canadian soda versions of Coke, Pepsi are somehow sweeter as it's a totally different way the sugar is done. I could be wrong, but I've heard that for ages that it's the sugar processing between the two countries that makes the huge difference in sodas and candies etc...

Yeah definitely! The texture is a bit off too, so I wonder if there is a difference in gelatin or how the sugar forms.

I think now that I've been here for 2 years, I'm pretty much acclimated to the differences in tastes of things like yogurt, meat, pop/soda, and I don't know whether ot be happy or sad, haha.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

CanadaRocks-1.jpg

I just got this :)

I now have a ton of delicious smarties and caramilks and whatnot in my freezer, I am having a very hard time not eating them. I am addicted to sweets I guess(see username).

I've just got to order a few more things, then get a basket and some stuff to decorate it with, then I'll be able to post some pics for you all.

Just having enjoyed a Caesar, it occurs to me how difficult it was for me to find a lot of my favourite drinks in the US, and I plan to bring a bunch of them with me. I know you can substitute for Motts Clamato when making a Caesar, or just get used to a Bloody Mary, but there is nothing so perfect on a hot sunny lazy SO day than a Caesar complete with a stick of celery. If you still have time, and know that she likes the drink, see if you can at least get some rimmer sent down, if not the Clamato juice itself.

I also have no hope in hell of ever having a Rye and Ginger. Best I can do is some American whiskey with gingerale, or even just suck it up and switch to 7 and 7. I do plan on bringing rye with me in my belongings, and mom and dad promised to bring me some whenever they visit, along with Shreddies! If there's a particular drink she's fond of, then see if you can't get it sent along.

On an opposing note, my fiance found it very odd that we don't have Yoohoo here in Canada, and it was one of the first things I was forced to try when I visited. Frozen yoohoo is very good, but add some Tia Maria or some Kaluha with a little vodka, and we're talking!

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Timeline

I also have no hope in hell of ever having a Rye and Ginger. Best I can do is some American whiskey with gingerale, or even just suck it up and switch to 7 and 7. I do plan on bringing rye with me in my belongings, and mom and dad promised to bring me some whenever they visit, along with Shreddies! If there's a particular drink she's fond of, then see if you can't get it sent along.

If it's Wiser's you're missing, try Wild turkey rye whiskey. It's pretty good!

What do you mean by rye and ginger? What's the difference between that and whiskey with ginger ale? I drink bourbon with ginger ale all the time and love it!!

If it's Wiser's you're missing, try Wild turkey rye whiskey. It's pretty good!

What do you mean by rye and ginger? What's the difference between that and whiskey with ginger ale? I drink bourbon with ginger ale all the time and love it!!

It's Danfield's that I drink, and rye is nowhere near as sweet as bourbon, making for a much drier drink. Couple the sweeter bourbon with the sweeter kinds of gingerale available in the US, and it just doesn't taste right. I will definitely look for the Wild Turkey though, thanks for the tip!

Edited by Stuart and Thea

May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 30 2012 - NOA4

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call

Timeline

It's Danfield's that I drink, and rye is nowhere near as sweet as bourbon, making for a much drier drink. Couple the sweeter bourbon with the sweeter kinds of gingerale available in the US, and it just doesn't taste right. I will definitely look for the Wild Turkey though, thanks for the tip!

I'll have to try one with Canadian ginger ale. Also some Danfields, I've never heard of that one and am always eager to try out a new kind of whiskey!

Edited by PastryChef

Hawkins cheesies and if she bakes pastry ( yes I see your name here) Tenderleaf Lard. I also haven't found any Oreo cookie crumbs which I use for chocolate cheese cake. Shirriff Lemon Pie Filling too!

These are the three things my girls send me

'

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

They do sell Canada Dry down here in the US as least I have seen it here in the LA area...

I am confused about the clamato thing though are you saying you can't find it in the US because I have bought it down here.. my husband uses it when he makes a Chavela..

this is the one we usually buy but you can buy it without the picante too

spicy-clamato-juice-clamato-picante-large-bottle-946ml-32floz-2700-p.jpg

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

They do sell Canada Dry down here in the US as least I have seen it here in the LA area...

I am confused about the clamato thing though are you saying you can't find it in the US because I have bought it down here.. my husband uses it when he makes a Chavela..

Do they have Clamato with the works and the rimmer spice? If so, I'll be a happy girl! When I was down last time, I ordered a rye and ginger at a bar. The waitress said "Where y'all from honey?" Turns out she spent some time in Montreal, so pegged me as a Canadian immediately. She told me to have a Canadian Mist and a 7-up instead, (yuck!) as they didn't have gingerale at the bar, apparently it's not a popular mix. She also told me how much she misses Caesar's as she just couldn't get any Clamato juice, and mixing tomato juice and clam juice just didn't do it. Maybe she just didn't look hard enough I'm hoping?

May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 30 2012 - NOA4

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just reading and someone said the stuff they use to rim the glass is Montreal Steak Spice which I have seen in the US..

I thought it was a celery salt mixture. Hum... Montreal Steak Spice might work though. As for Clamato, I buy it at my local HEB. You can buy it mixed with beer (red eye I believe it's called) here too. Quite tasty on a HOT Texas day!

Filed: Timeline

Whenever I ask for a whisky sour they substitute bourbon. :bonk:

Celery salt is the rimmer on a caesar. You can buy it in the spice aisle. And you can even get clammy here too! If you can't find it in the grocery store you'll find it in the ABC store.

I have never tried the poutine mix but that makes me think..... she may like a few pouches of the Swiss Chalet sauce!

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.