PastryChef

Question for Canadians

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Definitely check the expiry dates and where items are made before buying them. (Hint: If the chocolate says it's made by Hershey it's not going to taste the same.) Here's a thread with a spreadsheet of what we can't get down here:

Grocery Items Unavailable in the US

One nice thing to have for her is a Canadian flag.... either the type you fly on a pole or one you stick in the garden. She'll like that.

I see you live in Florida. We lived there for 4+ years. Depending on where you are, there are some good British pubs as well as British food sections in some of the grocery stores. Those will make her feel more at home. (Beware the American bars masquerading as British/Irish pubs. They are nowhere near the same.) I can help out with suggestions for the Central Florida area.

I bought this fridge magnet and it makes me happy. :)

CanadaRocks-1.jpg

iagree.gif

World Market has aero bars and after eight chocolate (yuuuum) and I think a few other Canadian candies too. It's not always the food/snacks you miss, it's more the atmosphere and family. So definitely put snacks in there (no girl will turn down chocolate!) but I think maybe a certificate for a free flight home whenever she feels she misses her family would be nice, and even something silly like a Canadian magnet. I think when I officially moved to the U.S., now that I look back on it, I was always scared to lose where I came from, I'm proud to be Canadian. I bought this big ole' Canadian flag magnet for my car and my husband hates that it's on there (more like - I think it scratches the car - hate) and we determined, hey, it's makes her happy, I'll leave it on there. :) Adjust to her, listen to her rant on about the motherland, and let her visit if she's homesick.

This is such a wonderful idea!!!

Edited by Moosker

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup and if she likes Schneiders products, get some of those for her. You are a sweet man to be doing this for her and I'm sure she will appreciate it. :thumbs:

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

and even something silly like a Canadian magnet. I think when I officially moved to the U.S., now that I look back on it, I was always scared to lose where I came from, I'm proud to be Canadian.

She's proud to be Canadian, and I am proud to be married to a Canadian :) (soon anyway). I got her a full sized Canadian flag, several miniature Canadian flags, miniature provincial flags, Canadian flag lapel pins, Canadian/American flag together lapel pins, and Canadian flag car decals/stickers. I think most of these things will be used to decorate the basket. When she gets it she can take it apart and use them as she pleases.

The only food things I am missing now are Ah Caramel, Tim Hortons coffee, Ketchup chips, and Shreddies. I think I can get the ketchup chips here in the states. Have any of you Canadians tried both the US, and Canadian version of ketchup chips? If so, can you comment on the difference, if any?

You are a sweet man to be doing this for her and I'm sure she will appreciate it.

Thank you for the feedback :)

All of the positive feedback I've gotten in this thread really has helped motivate me to find this stuff. Thank you all :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She's proud to be Canadian, and I am proud to be married to a Canadian :) (soon anyway). I got her a full sized Canadian flag, several miniature Canadian flags, miniature provincial flags, Canadian flag lapel pins, Canadian/American flag together lapel pins, and Canadian flag car decals/stickers. I think most of these things will be used to decorate the basket. When she gets it she can take it apart and use them as she pleases.

The only food things I am missing now are Ah Caramel, Tim Hortons coffee, Ketchup chips, and Shreddies. I think I can get the ketchup chips here in the states. Have any of you Canadians tried both the US, and Canadian version of ketchup chips? If so, can you comment on the difference, if any?

Thank you for the feedback :)

All of the positive feedback I've gotten in this thread really has helped motivate me to find this stuff. Thank you all :)

I thought I was going to be in heaven when I found some "Terry's" brand ketchup chips at my local food city, my mouth was watering the whole way home. But when I opened the bag and bit into that first one....I was sooooo disappointed. They didn't taste anything like the Lay's back home. I have also tried the Heinz brand ones and they were not much better. So if she really like ketchup chips, I would suggest getting someone to send you some Canadian ones!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes definitely check out British import stores or even as some suggested British sections in the grocery stores (which I don't have here). A lot of the typical Canadian candies and such are actually English and not Canadian (Aero, Smarties and such) and so you should have an easier time finding those here than say ketchup chips or maple syrup things...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Aw, what a sweet idea! Everyone's already pretty much said everything. Maybe some real maple syrup would be nice too! I also find that a lot of the american cereal tastes so much different than canadian cereal even though it has the same name. So maybe order her a few boxes of her favourites, just in case! For example, I love corn pops and fruit loops, but they taste horrible here, yuck! Oh, also, I can never find hickory stick chips.. those are yummy!

Timeline

Hawkins Cheezies, Kinder eggs and Kinder chocolate, Tim's coffee

Hello all. I have a question for the Canadian expats that read this forum.

The backstory is that I married a Canadian, and we are almost at the point in the immigration where she can move in with me(finally!). I had the idea that I'd make her a gift basket, and have it waiting for her when she first walks through the door of our place. I want to fill the basket with Canadian things that aren't available in the states, and put in a card containing some lovey-dovey "this is to help with homesickness" type of message.

So, my question to you is what sort of food/candy/gift/misc items do you miss that are available in Canada but not in the states? I've got a few basic ideas, but I'm sure there are a million things I'm forgetting about. So please, remind me! Tell me all about Canadian stuff you'd love to have!

Oh and when I bought twizzlers there I was very disappointed. Not what we get here for sure so those can go on your list.

Oh and when I bought twizzlers there I was very disappointed. Not what we get here for sure so those can go on your list.

Kinder eggs are actually illegal to import into the US, something about non food items inside of food items, so you'll have to smuggle those in!

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Kinder eggs are actually illegal to import into the US, something about non food items inside of food items, so you'll have to smuggle those in!

Right - dont get hauled into Secondary because of your kinder eggs - you could always buy the kind chocolate bars which are the same quality (and not contraband!)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Right - dont get hauled into Secondary because of your kinder eggs - you could always buy the kind chocolate bars which are the same quality (and not contraband!)

Yeah but that defeats the whole purpose of Kinder Eggs, since the toys are usually super fun and cool. You could always eat the chocolate and bring the toys back across the border. That way they don't think you're smuggling in ICBMs or Plutonium in chocolate covered eggs...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I definitely miss Twizzlers! They taste much different in the US. I'm not sure why, but they are so much better in Canada.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.