southafrica

f1 AOS to get greencard through marriage

29 posts in this topic

I will like to make something clear here. Dont come here and lie as that would not let someone give you the right advice. If your still in school and in status why work illegally? All you had to do is take your job offer to your international student advisor and he would endorse the job with a letter and you take that letter to SSN office and you get an SSN. So please I dont believe the fact that you are still in school. just so we are clear do not lie so other people can learn from your case

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Got RFE for I-485 28th July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

Contacted congressman Oct 17th

Faxed documents to congressman Oct 17th

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I will like to make something clear here. Dont come here and lie as that would not let someone give you the right advice. If your still in school and in status why work illegally? All you had to do is take your job offer to your international student advisor and he would endorse the job with a letter and you take that letter to SSN office and you get an SSN. So please I dont believe the fact that you are still in school. just so we are clear do not lie so other people can learn from your case

Err, F-1 visas don't permit the student to work off campus? If he couldn't find a job on campus, I find it perfectly plausible he'd work under the table. An international student advisor would not just be able to "endorse the job with a letter" in this case.

Married since 03/02/2011, AOS from F-1 visa, green card granted 05/24/2011.
Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

02/27/2013 - I-751 packet sent
03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - I-751 Approved

No indication of a lie here. Not all international student offices insist upon social security processing unless there is a scholarship or work-study financial aid in place. This visa usually requires on campus work during the school year or use of CPT for off campus work. Not every institution provides for such.

2/07- Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

2/18- NOA received via email and text

3/01- Walk in Biometrics

3/22- Original Biometrics date

4/27- EAD Approval

5/05- EAD/ Advance Parole Card received

6/07- Appointment notice (updated online)

7/13- Interview-Approved!!

Is there a place where it says student can't work off campus? They can but can only work for 20 hours with strict supervision by the ISO. (student advisor) I know lots of people who worked outside. Like I said a lot of it is based on your ISO. If you explain to him he would endorse the job and that is good for an SSN card. I kno this because I'm F1 though not in school now

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Timeline

Is there a place where it says student can't work off campus? They can but can only work for 20 hours with strict supervision by the ISO. (student advisor) I know lots of people who worked outside. Like I said a lot of it is based on your ISO. If you explain to him he would endorse the job and that is good for an SSN card. I kno this because I'm F1 though not in school now

I just know that when I inquired about off-campus employment, I was told I had to apply for employment authorization to work off campus, but basically to not even bother because the permit would not be granted unless I could show extreme financial hardship (ie, a sudden loss of scholarship or other financial backing) - in other words, they would not approve the employment authorization just so I could have some spending money or make things a bit easier on myself.

I have my I-20 next to me, and it says the following:

"7. EMPLOYMENT

As an F-1 student you are not permitted to work off campus or to engage in business without specific employment authorization. After your first year in F-1 student status, you may apply for employment authorization on Form I-538 based on financial needs arising after receiving student status, or the need to obtain practical training."

Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

Is a pizza store close to the school considered a campus job? I don't think so but my ISO was endorsing that job for everyone that could yet a job offer from the pizza store. Like I said it all depends on your ISO.

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

My ISO would not do anything for me and I am not sure where I have lied here? My family has been going through a tough financial time back home and I needed to work immediately so that I could support myself this summer and actually eat food. It wasnt about me trying to beat any kind of system etc. And as previously stated an F1 student is only supposed to work on campus and I have been trying to get such a job for more than 6 months and I have no luck in gettibg one as they are all taken. Anyway, all I have wanted to know now is how easy it is to get AP because I want to visit my family in December, and will that be enough grounds to receive an AP?

Timeline

I didn't realize the visa restrictions were not uniform. Seems careless if some places, all it takes is for an international advisor to sign off on a job to make it legal. I couldn't even work in the coffee shop on campus, because it was ran by an outside company.

Regardless, it's pretty harsh to automatically assume the OP is lying, and not simply misinformed (or even still, as in my case, is restricted by his I-20 and school).

--

ROC

03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

I was just making sure he was telling us the stories as it. I don't really think where you work matter so much to DHS what does is the amount of hours you work. Cos I remember the lady at SSA tellin me that if I ever work more than 20 hours any where they report to DHS. As long as a company is willin to employ you without seeing ur authorization then you have no stress just make sure the job is 20hrs

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Timeline

I was just making sure he was telling us the stories as it. I don't really think where you work matter so much to DHS what does is the amount of hours you work. Cos I remember the lady at SSA tellin me that if I ever work more than 20 hours any where they report to DHS. As long as a company is willin to employ you without seeing ur authorization then you have no stress just make sure the job is 20hrs

I'd still not recommend that people go against what their I-20/visa documents say. If DHS says a person is not permitted to work off campus, it's not up to us to interpret that as, "Eh, it'll probably be fine anyway." Just in case.

--

ROC

03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

My ISO would not do anything for me and I am not sure where I have lied here? My family has been going through a tough financial time back home and I needed to work immediately so that I could support myself this summer and actually eat food. It wasnt about me trying to beat any kind of system etc. And as previously stated an F1 student is only supposed to work on campus and I have been trying to get such a job for more than 6 months and I have no luck in gettibg one as they are all taken. Anyway, all I have wanted to know now is how easy it is to get AP because I want to visit my family in December, and will that be enough grounds to receive an AP?

You are fine, don't worry about the AP. It is routinely approved with AOS applications. As long as you have not overstayed your previous visas, you should be fine to travel. The form asks for a reason for needing it and you can put your upcoming trip there, but I've understood that some even leave that part blank and it's still fine. You don't really need to justify the need for an AP, it will be issued regardless. They have recently combined EAD and AP into the same card, so your EAD card will also function as your AP document. Usually EAD-AP arrives within 90 days from filing the forms.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I have another question:

When filing form I 864, my fiance (soon to be wife) has just graduated and is in the process of finding a job so her mother is going to help us out with meeting the poverty requirements. in part 1 of the form we have to check boxes, my question is which ones to check? Do we check "a" I am the petitioner. I filed or am filing for the immigration of my relative, and then "d" or "e" which is joint sponsorship? Is my fiance the only joint sponsor, or what? I am confused.

Sorry, that's bad advice. It's not fine to work anywhere just because the company doesn't check your authorization. You are responsible for checking that you're authorized to work. What you tell us about your international service office (signing off on a pizza restaurant job) is unheard of among all the F1 people I have known.

I worked outside and was only talking about my case. If you file through a spouse that is a USC working without authorization will be forgiven. If you lie you didn't work and they find out you did you will be in a bigger problem. It is better just telling the truth

filed 9th of July

delivered 11th July

got NOA 20th of July

Mailed in RFE 9th Oct

RFE received 12th Oct

RFE review 12th Oct

EAD Approved 19th Oct

EAD Received 27th Oct

Interview 8th Dec

Approved 8th Dec

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.