barbsdesk

Visting Canada on One Way Ticket

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all

Husband with his 2 year green card returned from our home in the US to Alberta for a visit - then decided to stay as he was offered a job.

He then bought me a one way ticket to join him.

The plan is to stay with his family (keeping within the 6 month rule) and then return to US.

I am now reading that i risk being denied entry with this one way ticket.

If they question me and I say I'm going to visit family it will soon come out that my husband is there.

I recently lost my job in US, so i can't show employment waiting here

We have a joint bank account in US but there is precious little money in it.

We live with my folks so I can't show a rental agreement.

What should I do? Buy a 2nd one way ticket?

Thanks

Filed: Timeline

this VERY same thing happened to me. You need to make SURE that it's a return ticket. It should be for a period less than you are planning to stay. A couple weeks would be best. You will absolutely be denied, especially if you can show no source of funds back in Canada and no job. I was denied entry. Took years before i stopped being questioned at customs. Spend the money...you won't regret it.

btw...I'm now a naturalized citizen...many years later.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From what I understand you are the US Petitioner and your Husband is the Candadian Beneficiary, correct? PP I think was slightly confused as your wording wasn't very clear.

Getting into Canada is much easier than getting into the US. It is always better to have "just cause to return" to the US or Canada to show that you are not attempting to enter Canada and stay.

That being said I know that you can are able to receive a "temporary permit" from your POE with proof that you are married to a Canadian citizen. Do some more research.

Good luck!

qSIFm7.png

USCIS: 175 Days

NVC: 41 Days

NOA1 to Interview: 265 Days

Interview: 20 March 2012 - APPROVED

NVC for Montreal Beneficiaries – Electronic Processing and New Online Forms Guide by Saylin

Please edit your timeline in your profile so you can help others learn how long each step of this process takes. Thanks!

Timeline

this VERY same thing happened to me. You need to make SURE that it's a return ticket. It should be for a period less than you are planning to stay. A couple weeks would be best. You will absolutely be denied, especially if you can show no source of funds back in Canada and no job. I was denied entry. Took years before i stopped being questioned at customs. Spend the money...you won't regret it.

btw...I'm now a naturalized citizen...many years later.

Going from Canada to the USA - yes definitely have a return ticket... same thing happened to us.

Visa versa though I'm not too sure...

Edited by figuringthisout

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all

Husband with his 2 year green card returned from our home in the US to Alberta for a visit - then decided to stay as he was offered a job.

He then bought me a one way ticket to join him.

The plan is to stay with his family (keeping within the 6 month rule) and then return to US.

I am now reading that i risk being denied entry with this one way ticket.

If they question me and I say I'm going to visit family it will soon come out that my husband is there.

I recently lost my job in US, so i can't show employment waiting here

We have a joint bank account in US but there is precious little money in it.

We live with my folks so I can't show a rental agreement.

What should I do? Buy a 2nd one way ticket?

Thanks

Sorry I wasn't clear! I am a USC with a one way ticket to Canada.

Timeline

Sorry I wasn't clear! I am a USC with a one way ticket to Canada.

Canada does seem to be more carefree but I would suggest getting a return ticket and just make sure to pay the extra bit to have it refundable/able to change dates.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When my husband flew up on a 1 way ticket a coupel years ago - he was flying up to drive our Uhaul back down. His US passport was stamped by Canadian BP and the date he had to cross back by was 6 months...of course he returned about 4 days later.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline

A one-way ticket to Canada isn't as troublesome as a one-way ticket to the US. The US officers think of everyone as guilty and they must prove their innocence. The Canadian officers think of everyone as innocent until they start looking guilty. Just be truthful at the POE and you should be okay.

iagree.gif

One way ticket shouldn't really be that much of a problem when entering Canada to spend time with your spouse because you can legally apply for permanent resident status from within Canada. The POE will likely want to know your intent- if you plan on immigrating to Canada or not. If not they may be cautious that you do return to the US and issue you a "visitor record" that you turn in when you leave Canada. As long as you have no intent on working or studying then you should be fine as well. Also helps to ensure that you or your Canadian spouse has the sufficient funds to support you during your stay.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

bring bank statements, a letter from whoever you live with, but if you have not had any incidences you should be fine...with a ROUND TRIP TICKET.

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-08

Packet 3 Received : 2011-07-02

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-07-03

Packet 4 Received : 2011-07-21

Interview Date : 2011-08-24

Interview Result :Approved!

POE: 2011-09-12

Married: 2011-09-30

AOS filed: 2011-10-17

NOA1: 2011-10-25

Biometrics Appt: 2011-11-09

Case transferred to CSC: 2011-12-23

EAD approval: 2011-12-28

Husband secretly pulled I-864 thus cancelling I-485 application 2012-05-10

F22zm4.png[/center]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In July 2008 my now-wife flew up to Canada on a one-way ticket to meet me to drive back to Salt Lake City together. She had no problem getting into Canada at all.

Getting back into the US, on the other hand... :) The CBP officer was quite grumpy until I said those two little words all CBP officers in that situation want to hear: "fiance visa" :D

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.