Eve & Jim

Child of Fiance and School Transfer

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have applied for a K-1 visa for my fiance and included her 16 year old daughter, Mae, on the visa application. They both live in the Philippines and the school system there is much different than the school systems here in Ohio. She attends private Catholic school in the Philippines and I think she is in her 10th year. Can anyone give me an idea of what will happen when the visa is approved and they come here as far as how they will determine what grade level she is placed in our school system?

I really feel a bit uneasy about Mae having to change schools and possibly being set back or something due to the changes.

I know this might not be the right Forum and please move it to the correct one if it isn't.

Thanks,

--Jim

04/24/11 - Visit Fiance in Phil.

05/01/11 - Return from Phil. (Fantastic trip)

05/03/11 - Signed up with RapidVisa to help putting paperwork together.

05/10/11 - Requested signed documents and such from Fiance

05/16/11 - Recieved signed documents from Fiance (DHL)

05/19/11 - Application sent to Texas Service Center

05/25/11 - NOA1 - Said case was transfered to California Service Center

08/16/11 - NOA2

09/02/11 - Application Fee's paid via BDO

09/05/11 - Interview Appointment Confirmation

09/12/11 - Medical Day 1

09/13/11 - Medical Day 2

- K2 passed and received vacinations

- K1 required Sputum Culture -- SLMEC -x-ray looked "cloudy"

09/15/11 - Interview date, (Canceled)

09/26/11 - Culture Day 1

09/28/11 - Culture Day 3 -- 1st part of testing Negative

11/03/11 - New Interview Appointment Confirmation for 12/05/11 (trying to avoid delay)

11/28/11 - Sputum Culture Negative

12/01/11 - Vacinations and retesting for K1, retesting for K2, Medical Cleared

12/05/11 - Interview - Given 221(g)

-- Wanted CENOMAR for daughter's father directly from NSO, she had a NSO origional document in hand

-- Required a police clearance from Japan even though it has been over 10 years.

12/06/11 - Applied to NSO for daughter's father's CENOMAR to be sent directly to NSO

12/07/11 - Applied to Japanese Embassy in Manila for Police Clearance

01/20/12 - Japanese Police Clearance is at the embassy

02/07/12 - Visa's issued

02/23/12 - K1 Visa Expired

02/26/12 - Flights to US

***** Big Mess ****

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have applied for a K-1 visa for my fiance and included her 16 year old daughter, Mae, on the visa application. They both live in the Philippines and the school system there is much different than the school systems here in Ohio. She attends private Catholic school in the Philippines and I think she is in her 10th year. Can anyone give me an idea of what will happen when the visa is approved and they come here as far as how they will determine what grade level she is placed in our school system?

I really feel a bit uneasy about Mae having to change schools and possibly being set back or something due to the changes.

I know this might not be the right Forum and please move it to the correct one if it isn't.

Thanks,

--Jim

Its natural to be concerned but this will work out fine with a little understanding & effort. My husband put a lot of effort into making sure this went well for us.

The schools in your area will have a plan to take care of these situations. They will give the student some tests to determin what class level to start them out in. You dont mention if she speaks English. If not she will take ESL classes for at least two years. There are checks & balances along the way to make sure she is doing well. She will also begin to learn from her peers.

I suggest you go to the school in your area asap to learn first hand how this is done. Keep the young lady informed to ease her fears of whats to come. The initiation into the new school culture may be a little difficult but in time she will fit in fine. Have her review the school web site to become a lttle familer with whats going on there. Some schools assign a couple of students to these new students to help get them started.

My own daughter became a very good student in a short time with the typical social life ect so I know whats possible here.

Thanks,

--Jim

In the Philippines, students graduate high school at about 15-16 years old. This is because Philippines have 10 years of education (primary, secondary) before college...whereas, the U.S. has 12 years. I think your stepdaughter is in her last year and will graduate in March 2012. And even if she is a high school graduate, the U.S. will consider her as only completing 10th grade level (this is assuming all her classes are transferable).

Good luck with your situation! I know it may be difficult at first, but it'll work itself out. :thumbs:

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Thanks,

--Jim

The first thing is I think is the approval of the visa. After your daughter gets to the US, you take her to the school in your district area and they will do the assessment. Don’t forget to remind your daughter to bring all documents with her. After the assessment, they will assign her a class to start with. I am not pretty sure how the AOS will affect her. However it will not be a big problem to get her to school.

Good luck on the interview

K-1 Time Line

Service Center:_California Service Center

Consulate: _Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: _2011-03-20

I-129F NOA1:_ 2011-03-30

I-129F NOA2:_2011-06-18

NVC Received: _2011-07-19

NVC Left:_2011-07-20

Consulate Received:_2011-07-25

Packet 3 Received: _2011-07-28

Packet 3 Sent: _2011-07-29

Packet 4 Received:_ 2011-08-09

Interview Date: _ 2011-08-24

Interview Result:_ Approved(After 3 weeks AP)

Visa Received:_2011-09-21

US Entry:_@ JFK 2011-11-16

Marriage: _2011-12-20

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed: _2012-02-07

NOA Date: _2012-02-13

Bio. Appt. Notice recieved_2012-02-17

Bio. Appt.:2012-03-12@ 8:00 AM in Columbus OH

Bio Done:2012-03-05 WALK IN- Columbus OH

State ID: 2012-03-05

DL Permit: 2012-03-08

AOS Transfer: 2012-03-14

AOS Touched @ USCIS: 2012-03-21

EAD/AP Approved & Card Producton: 2012-04-03

EAD/AP on Hand:2012-04-11

AOS_RFE: 2012-09-28

RFE Sent: 2012-11-09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I guess the good thing is that they both speak english very well. My biggest concern is that she will probably have to spend a couple more years in school which might be a bit of an adjustment for someone thinking they were going to graduate in the spring. She is also a very sweet and respectful young lady and making the social adjustments might be difficult for her. Mae and I have talked about all if this a few times and she doesn't seem to have any problems with any of it.

I'm really glad to here that someone else has done this and things have turned out well.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

--Jim

04/24/11 - Visit Fiance in Phil.

05/01/11 - Return from Phil. (Fantastic trip)

05/03/11 - Signed up with RapidVisa to help putting paperwork together.

05/10/11 - Requested signed documents and such from Fiance

05/16/11 - Recieved signed documents from Fiance (DHL)

05/19/11 - Application sent to Texas Service Center

05/25/11 - NOA1 - Said case was transfered to California Service Center

08/16/11 - NOA2

09/02/11 - Application Fee's paid via BDO

09/05/11 - Interview Appointment Confirmation

09/12/11 - Medical Day 1

09/13/11 - Medical Day 2

- K2 passed and received vacinations

- K1 required Sputum Culture -- SLMEC -x-ray looked "cloudy"

09/15/11 - Interview date, (Canceled)

09/26/11 - Culture Day 1

09/28/11 - Culture Day 3 -- 1st part of testing Negative

11/03/11 - New Interview Appointment Confirmation for 12/05/11 (trying to avoid delay)

11/28/11 - Sputum Culture Negative

12/01/11 - Vacinations and retesting for K1, retesting for K2, Medical Cleared

12/05/11 - Interview - Given 221(g)

-- Wanted CENOMAR for daughter's father directly from NSO, she had a NSO origional document in hand

-- Required a police clearance from Japan even though it has been over 10 years.

12/06/11 - Applied to NSO for daughter's father's CENOMAR to be sent directly to NSO

12/07/11 - Applied to Japanese Embassy in Manila for Police Clearance

01/20/12 - Japanese Police Clearance is at the embassy

02/07/12 - Visa's issued

02/23/12 - K1 Visa Expired

02/26/12 - Flights to US

***** Big Mess ****

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I guess the good thing is that they both speak english very well. My biggest concern is that she will probably have to spend a couple more years in school which might be a bit of an adjustment for someone thinking they were going to graduate in the spring. She is also a very sweet and respectful young lady and making the social adjustments might be difficult for her. Mae and I have talked about all if this a few times and she doesn't seem to have any problems with any of it.

I'm really glad to here that someone else has done this and things have turned out well.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

--Jim

Her English will serve he well in her new life here & make a huge difference in her schooling of course. I would expect her to be shy at first & would suggest finding some classes that help her become one of the group quickly. We put our daughter in dance class at school as an example. She made friends fast there & loves being part of the team.

The additional time in school will prove to be the correct investment in her future for many reasons.

Thanks,

--Jim

hello.i have 8yrs old daughter and on k1 & k2 visa..my daughter will be on grade three for this school yr.she's also from catholic school here in my hometown tacloban,leyte.

we will leave for bardstown,ky sometime this month.we got our visa last week.the school where she will be enrolled for this school year is BARDSTOWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.and the school principal of the said school given my fiancee a letter for my daughter school principal stating that the school credential like form 137 should be given to me to hand carry to the states.

nothing much to worry about filipino children adjustment when it comes to communication because our second language is english...and kids can understand and can comprehend on that particular field.though kids will kinda have a hard time on adjusting the environment...(i guess)

good luck on your journey!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.