Messybrownhair

Proof to gather if husband has been deployed for most of the 2 years

7 posts in this topic

So today we just got a clearer idea of when he is actually deploying. It's a 15-month deployment so it's a big one, and it will be in the Middle East so me coming with him is not an option.. Basically we will only have about 6 months together and then he leaves, and by the time he comes back I would probably already have filed for ROC.. I was just wondering how this would affect us? I know its still a very long time away (Thank goodness, because I haven't even recovered from the AOS stress yet!) but what kind of evidences should I gather or prepare for during the next two years? Obviously we won't have much pics together, I heard the internet is terrible there. I am not even sure if I can file our taxes for him next year (If I am not mistaken I will be given a POA that will allow me to do this). We have all the household bills in my name, and we have a joint account so I can pay all the other bills. Will phone records and receipts of care packages I will be sending be okay? I feel like its better to ask this now while I am still okay and I can make a plan of what I need to prepare for. Thanks! Sorry for posting this so early, hope no one minds!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

So today we just got a clearer idea of when he is actually deploying. It's a 15-month deployment so it's a big one, and it will be in the Middle East so me coming with him is not an option.. Basically we will only have about 6 months together and then he leaves, and by the time he comes back I would probably already have filed for ROC.. I was just wondering how this would affect us? I know its still a very long time away (Thank goodness, because I haven't even recovered from the AOS stress yet!) but what kind of evidences should I gather or prepare for during the next two years? Obviously we won't have much pics together, I heard the internet is terrible there. I am not even sure if I can file our taxes for him next year (If I am not mistaken I will be given a POA that will allow me to do this). We have all the household bills in my name, and we have a joint account so I can pay all the other bills. Will phone records and receipts of care packages I will be sending be okay? I feel like its better to ask this now while I am still okay and I can make a plan of what I need to prepare for. Thanks! Sorry for posting this so early, hope no one minds!

Sounds like you're on the right track already. He'll get you either a Special or General POA. General POA is better since that pretty much

let's you do everything on his behalf. For military people, you are automatically extended 6 months if deployed when it comes to filing taxes.

Good idea to keep records of phone call & receipts of Care Packages (it might even be a good idea to take a picture of the content...unless

you're sending him something intimate...LOL). Also, if it has not changed since I retired from the USAF in 06, he will have a mid tour, so, plenty

of opportunity for pictures then. Keep record of stuff you send each other on special occasions such as cards, videos, etc etc. Make sure the

POA's expiration date will encompass his entire deployment because sometimes they issue the POA with a 1 year expiration. Hopefully,

someone else will jump in and shed some more ideas. You'll be fine!

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tanzania
Timeline

Messybrownhair,

Congrats on the AOS, I used to see you on AOS, and now you are already on the otherside!!

Anyway, if you interested, you may look up expedited citizenship if you want to join your husband abroad. I know if your spouse is deployed for more than 1 years and you have intentions of joining him, then I believe you can apply for expedited citizenship. I am not sure but I dont think the 3 year for citizenship applies to military personnel and families.

If its something you may be interested in, I suggest you check it out!

Jan 1999- F1 to USA

June 2006- AOS thru D.O.R.A.

Dec 2009- Oath. Finally a U.S Citizen

I am proud to be Tanzamerican!

Sounds like you're on the right track already. He'll get you either a Special or General POA. General POA is better since that pretty much

let's you do everything on his behalf. For military people, you are automatically extended 6 months if deployed when it comes to filing taxes.

Good idea to keep records of phone call & receipts of Care Packages (it might even be a good idea to take a picture of the content...unless

you're sending him something intimate...LOL). Also, if it has not changed since I retired from the USAF in 06, he will have a mid tour, so, plenty

of opportunity for pictures then. Keep record of stuff you send each other on special occasions such as cards, videos, etc etc. Make sure the

POA's expiration date will encompass his entire deployment because sometimes they issue the POA with a 1 year expiration. Hopefully,

someone else will jump in and shed some more ideas. You'll be fine!

Thanks!! Great advice! I will do that.. :)

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Messybrownhair,

Congrats on the AOS, I used to see you on AOS, and now you are already on the otherside!!

Anyway, if you interested, you may look up expedited citizenship if you want to join your husband abroad. I know if your spouse is deployed for more than 1 years and you have intentions of joining him, then I believe you can apply for expedited citizenship. I am not sure but I dont think the 3 year for citizenship applies to military personnel and families.

If its something you may be interested in, I suggest you check it out!

Thanks Mama Mia! Unfortunately, I would not qualify for it, I believe.. As much as I want to join him, he is being sent to a combat zone so it's not the type of place where families can join *sniff sniff* I would have loved for him to be sent to Germany or Italy or even Korea instead!! I appreciate the advice though!

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Thanks Mama Mia! Unfortunately, I would not qualify for it, I believe.. As much as I want to join him, he is being sent to a combat zone so it's not the type of place where families can join *sniff sniff* I would have loved for him to be sent to Germany or Italy or even Korea instead!! I appreciate the advice though!

Hi, It's smart you are already thinking ahead, much better than freaking out a few weeks before you have to file!

I would not worry about your possible lack of proof, because of the deployment. I actually went to my AOS interview by myself, because my hubby was at NTC, preparing for his year long deployment to Iraq, and the Officer was extremely nice. He told me a lot of them are ex military, so they know what it is like. We were also apart for a big chunk of the two years, because of that. Since your husband is serving his country, there is no way that absence would count against you, in your immigration case, obviously.

We recently filed I-751, and proof we included, deployment related:

- copy of his orders

- copy of the POAs I got, prior to the deployment (general one, and also specific ones, for getting the car registrations renewed, for example)

- copy of our wills - we both had them drawn up just before he left

- copy of a check, of our joint bank account. I paid the bills while he was gone, they were sometimes only in his name but my signature is on our checks

- a few photos I took during a VTC (video teleconference - we were lucky enough to have those on occasion)

- a bundle of emails we sent back and forth

- copy of amazon presents we sent back and forth

- if you do volunteering work on post, you sometimes get awards, and you can get a copy of that too

We also included copy of his life insurance we me as beneficiary.

One thing to think about: your husband will have to sign the I-751 as well.

Good luck! Oh, and I forgot to mention: sometimes, on post ACS has contacts with the nearest USCIS Field Office. Should you have questions, you can always contact ACS and see if they can get you in contact with them (at Ft Benning, for example, they had monthly appointments available to discuss immigration cases). It can be worth a shot.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Hi, It's smart you are already thinking ahead, much better than freaking out a few weeks before you have to file!

I would not worry about your possible lack of proof, because of the deployment. I actually went to my AOS interview by myself, because my hubby was at NTC, preparing for his year long deployment to Iraq, and the Officer was extremely nice. He told me a lot of them are ex military, so they know what it is like. We were also apart for a big chunk of the two years, because of that. Since your husband is serving his country, there is no way that absence would count against you, in your immigration case, obviously.

We recently filed I-751, and proof we included, deployment related:

- copy of his orders

- copy of the POAs I got, prior to the deployment (general one, and also specific ones, for getting the car registrations renewed, for example)

- copy of our wills - we both had them drawn up just before he left

- copy of a check, of our joint bank account. I paid the bills while he was gone, they were sometimes only in his name but my signature is on our checks

- a few photos I took during a VTC (video teleconference - we were lucky enough to have those on occasion)

- a bundle of emails we sent back and forth

- copy of amazon presents we sent back and forth

- if you do volunteering work on post, you sometimes get awards, and you can get a copy of that too

We also included copy of his life insurance we me as beneficiary.

One thing to think about: your husband will have to sign the I-751 as well.

Good luck! Oh, and I forgot to mention: sometimes, on post ACS has contacts with the nearest USCIS Field Office. Should you have questions, you can always contact ACS and see if they can get you in contact with them (at Ft Benning, for example, they had monthly appointments available to discuss immigration cases). It can be worth a shot.

Thank you!! You have been very helpful!! :) I will copy the list you made!

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.