SandI2011

Passport expires in april 2012

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I feel there are soo many roadblocks with this immigration process.

So I finally received packet 3 in the mail. And, it says I need to have a valid passport for at least a year from the interview date whereas on the website it says 6 months. I would've been fine with the 6 months rule. But not with the one year.

I want to send back packet 3 asap. Do I have to first renew my passport? Or can I do it after?

My passport expires in april 2012. =(

Interview & Approved: November 1st, 2011
Received Visa in Hand: November 4th, 2011
POE Buffalo: November 15, 2011
Married: November 18, 2011

Adjustment of Status Process:
Received SSN: January 7, 2012
Received Driver's license: January 30, 2012
Mailed out i485, i131 & i765 & other supporting docs/forms: January 18th, 2012

i485:
NOA1: January 23rd, 2012
case transferred to CSC: February 10th, 2012
Biometrics: February 21st, 2012

i765:
Biometrics: February 21st, 2012

131:

i751:

Mailed package: March 31st, 2014

NOA1: April 8, 2014

Biometrics Appointment: May 1st, 2014

event.png

I feel there are soo many roadblocks with this immigration process.

So I finally received packet 3 in the mail. And, it says I need to have a valid passport for at least a year from the interview date whereas on the website it says 6 months. I would've been fine with the 6 months rule. But not with the one year.

I want to send back packet 3 asap. Do I have to first renew my passport? Or can I do it after?

My passport expires in april 2012. =(

Most of the forms required for packet 3 will require your passport number and since it will change when you renew it, you will probably want to do that first. I was in the same situation as my passport expires January/2012, it only took 2 week for me to recieve my new passport and you can have it even quicker if you want to pay an extra fee.

I had a similar situation. I renewed it much earlier than I needed to. Might as well, better peace of mind!!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.