Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

quick question about filing for a child

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I have a friend that wants to file for his child .. The child is a baby.. She wasn't born in the states however my friend is a US citizen.. Does he need to do I130 or does he need to do a counselor report of birth abroad. My friend is filing separately for the spouse using I130 and was wondering if they have to fill one out for the baby.. If so for NVC process how will he sign the choice of agent form and visa application form for the child.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the father meet the residency requirement for derivative citizenship for a child?

Good luck

PS - if the child has claims to US citizenship the child will not be issued a visa of any type

August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2

February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete

May 4, 2009

May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011


April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony


September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he is a US Citizens and he resides and works here.. Is there any other thing he would need to qualify for residency

You have given us minimal information to work with.

First, your friend needs to determine if the child qualifies for US citizenship. See here to determine which situation applies to your friend; http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship/derivative-claim-to-citizenship.html If the child is a US citizen, then your US citizen friend must file a CRBA and apply for a US passport for the child. A US citizen child can not be issued an immigration visa. The US citizen must have a CRBA and US passport to enter the US.

Second, if your US citizen friend cannot transmit US citizenship to his child, then he will have to file an I-130, etc. and ask for it to be expedited. The child will need an immigration visa to enter the US. After entering the US on an immigration visa to live with the US citien parent, the child is automatically a US citizen under the Child Citizenship Act.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.