Elio151

IR2 Visa - Sponsor question

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi I have a question regarding my partner's sponsorship status, she came to this country with the Visa IR2, since I really don't know much about all this I'm going to give all the details I can, basically her step dad did all the paperwork and now he's her sponsor. She can't do taxes on her own or nothing, basically my question is what would need to be done (if possible) to end that sponsorship, and usually how long are the sponsorship's for, she's 23 and she came to this country on March 2008 if that's any help, any help would be greatly appreciated and if you need any more information let me know. Thanks in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your post does not make a lot of sense. What does her ability to complete a tax form have to do with the question? There are services that can help a person complete their tax return.

The sponsor's responsibility ends when the immigrant: 1 - becomes a US citizen, 2 - Is credited with 40 quarters of employment, 3 - abandon's their green card and leaves the US. The sponsor's responsibility cannot be transferred to another person.

What does your girlfriend want to do regarding the sponsor?

You can see the sponsor's contract on pages 6 - 8 of the form I-864. >>> http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi I have a question regarding my partner's sponsorship status, she came to this country with the Visa IR2, since I really don't know much about all this I'm going to give all the details I can, basically her step dad did all the paperwork and now he's her sponsor. She can't do taxes on her own or nothing, basically my question is what would need to be done (if possible) to end that sponsorship, and usually how long are the sponsorship's for, she's 23 and she came to this country on March 2008 if that's any help, any help would be greatly appreciated and if you need any more information let me know. Thanks in advance.

You misunderstand the purpose of a sponsor. A sponsor's obligation is to make sure the immigrant doesn't become a public charge or collect means tested benefits from the government. This is a one-way obligation - a promise the sponsor makes to the US government. This doesn't obligate the immigrant to the sponsor in any way. The immigrant can (and is encouraged to) work and support themselves, and file their own tax returns, just like any other American.

Anh Map outlined the terms when sponsorship ends; one of the following:

1. The immigrant becomes a US citizen.

2. The immigrant accrues 40 quarters (10 years) of Social Security work credit.

3. The immigrant loses their permanent resident status and leaves the US.

4. Either the sponsor or the immigrant dies.

Sponsorship doesn't end under any other circumstances. There is no automatic expiration date.

A sponsored immigrant is not required to live with the sponsor (if they are an adult or emancipated minor). A sponsored immigrant can (and should) be employed and support themselves. Being a sponsored immigrant does not compel the immigrant to maintain any contact or relationship with the sponsor, though there are times when their immigration status might require this, such as a conditional permanent resident spouse of a US citizen. However, an adult who immigrated with an IR2 visa can be completely independent of the sponsor.

There are times when a sponsor probably should try to exert some influence on the immigrant, such as if the immigrant is planning on applying for food stamps or medicaid. The sponsor may incur a financial liability in this case, and should offer the immigrant an alternative such as financial support or medical insurance. However, the sponsor cannot exert other forms of influence over the immigrant, such as trying to force the immigrant to live in the sponsor's home with threats such as "I sponsored you and I can have you deported so you'll do what I say." A sponsor does not have this sort of authority over a sponsored immigrant.

Is this the information you were looking for?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.