one...two...tree

Big Coal: Inbreeding, Not Mining, to Blame for Birth Defects

83 posts in this topic

Presumably what you'd do involves spending many hours over many months on the Internet posting outlandish stories for shock value.

Honestly, that picture proves nothing.

What's there to prove? I can work 6 months and make more money than some peeps do in two years. The average maintenance job up north is 84.5 hours a week seven days a week. Your first 40 hours goes straight to taxes, everything after that is your O/T which is what you see on your check. Now I have no idea what line of work your into, or what your hobbies are. Mine used to be working, drinking, and fcking. A guy works a three week hitch, and then gets three weeks off...that's on a maintenance gig...some do 2 weeks on, and two weeks off...that's a locals maintenance hitch..local is in Alaskan living here and flying up north. The out of towners...lower 48 works do 3 and 3 or even 4 and 4 so they don't have to pay so much for tickets flying up to Anchorage.

Most of those guys will fly into Anchorage from the Slope, get a hotel room, a few hookers, booze and some other goodies, and then fly back home to wherever they live or wherever they plan on visiting. Iv'e seen guys up there say to another guy let's go to Thailand this hitch off and fk our brains out. So why not? It's not like they have to go home and mow the yard or some bs. It's life.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What's there to prove? I can work 6 months and make more money than some peeps do in two years. The average maintenance job up north is 84.5 hours a week seven days a week. Your first 40 hours goes straight to taxes, everything after that is your O/T which is what you see on your check. Now I have no idea what line of work your into, or what your hobbies are. Mine used to be working, drinking, and fcking. A guy works a three week hitch, and then gets three weeks off...that's on a maintenance gig...some do 2 weeks on, and two weeks off...that's a locals maintenance hitch..local is in Alaskan living here and flying up north. The out of towners...lower 48 works do 3 and 3 or even 4 and 4 so they don't have to pay so much for tickets flying up to Anchorage.

Most of those guys will fly into Anchorage from the Slope, get a hotel room, a few hookers, booze and some other goodies, and then fly back home to wherever they live or wherever they plan on visiting. Iv'e seen guys up there say to another guy let's go to Thailand this hitch off and fk our brains out. So why not? It's not like they have to go home and mow the yard or some bs. It's life.

You seem intent on proving something, but it has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Interesting. There's an Au Bon Pain on the same floor as where I work and downstairs there is a hair and massage place. It is beautiful and green outside and I may just leave early so I can go home and watch TV :)

:rofl:

All that is missing now is some gay story too.

He likes talking about his life, sharing his experiences with the forum.

If only everyone were this open.

It's worth the shock treatment if anything. Iv'e met peeps from the lower 48 who have freaked when they went on a binge with us after a hitch. They want to see Alaska...other than the slope, they hear us talking, so they decide to hang out with us on their time off. Once they get hooked though it's all down hill from there. I don't do that sh*t anymore. I'm married now...and this time I'm being good..sort of. But anyways it's hard to explain to peeps who aren't in this line of work. I would be completely lost if you tried to explain to me your job and what it entitles. But I know most peeps go to work, come home at night have dinner with the family, mow that yard, wash the car, etc, etc... But when your single, your on the road and you like to have fun ...then why not? You worked hard, your moneyed up and it's time to party.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

That pic of me was taken on the Arctic Ocean off of North Star Island during a emergency shut down. I was up there for close to three months straight on that hitch. No booze, no women, no nothing...other than a few Polar bears and all the food you can eat. It gets down to -90 sometimes up there not factoring in the wind chill. You do three months up there and then tell me what your going to do when you finally get your ticket out. It's not like you have weekends off, and on shut downs like that one your putting in over 100 hours a week. You work, eat, and sleep. Nothing is up there other than work. No some of those guys up there will work and work, get burnt out so they drag up or don't come back, take months off of work doing whatever, and then take another job wherever it lands them. Some of those guys have worked in the Middle East, Africa, South America, Asia, Russia...you name it.

btw those trucks in the pics...all the trucks up there are diesels and they run all winter long...they never get shut off.

meveco06.jpg

My dad is also one of those guys. Worked in oil fields (offshore & onshore) most of his life. He did 3 years in Siberia, 2 years in Kazakhstan, 8 years in Middle East, 3 years in Vietnam, and smaller stints all over SE Asia & Europe. He still managed to stay faithful to my mom and they will be celebrating their 30 year anniversary this year, imagine that. The first thing he would after finishing a job was to go to the airport and stop at the duty-free to buy candy & toys for my sister & me, instead of running around trying to find the first chick he can bang. He spent his time off, driving my sister & me to school, helping my mom around the house, fixing up the house, doing maintenance work on the car to make sure that we had reliable transportation while he was gone, etc. Imo, those are the things a "real man" does instead of banging his cousin.. gross!

P.S: My dad also worked hard and got promoted to an office job so that he could spend more time with his family.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

The masseuse is a man. Needless to say, I have never availed of the services but the women love him.

A Hangover 2 reference would be most appropriate. Something about Bangkok, not Bangk-nt. :lol:

Filed: Timeline

It's worth the shock treatment if anything. Iv'e met peeps from the lower 48 who have freaked when they went on a binge with us after a hitch. They want to see Alaska...other than the slope, they hear us talking, so they decide to hang out with us on their time off. Once they get hooked though it's all down hill from there. I don't do that sh*t anymore. I'm married now...and this time I'm being good..sort of. But anyways it's hard to explain to peeps who aren't in this line of work. I would be completely lost if you tried to explain to me your job and what it entitles. But I know most peeps go to work, come home at night have dinner with the family, mow that yard, wash the car, etc, etc... But when your single, your on the road and you like to have fun ...then why not? You worked hard, your moneyed up and it's time to party.

Just over a year out of college, I quit my first cushy corporate job (I should have stayed..big mistake) and went to work for a small consulting firm. I worked with a group of guys who had been road warriors for decades doing IT work. That was the first time I went to a strip club with money to spend. It was fun but I had no idea we were going again the next day.. and the next.. and the next. It's a team and if you don't play along you're not a team player so.. you play along. The money was good but the lifestyle was tiring (all that flying) and I was spending too much.

I quit 6 months later because I was working hard and had no money to show for it. I needed a job where I didn't spend all my time with coworkers so I found myself another cushy corporate gig and I find myself here to this day (with a few minor interruptions in the middle).

Life is good but boring :)

Filed: Timeline

It's simple. You go out in a work camp for two to three months straight with nothing to spend your money on other than a bull cook aka maid for favors. When a guy gets out of those camps he usually goes ape sh*t. Most of those guys aren't married for the fact relationships don't go over so well when your working out of town six plus months a year. My stories don't even compare to my dads...not even close.

And I know all Brits aren't boring for the fact Iv'e worked with them, South Africans, Aussies, Kiwi's, and Canucks on the gold mines up here building ball mills, china hats, etc... and those guys are crazy fks. It's nothing to drag up from a job or get laid off and go fly somewhere for sh*ts and giggles. Guys are loaded up money and looking to spend it. Usually that means a trip out...Vegas, Philippines, Thailand...wherever the globe stops spinning. It's not like a 9-5 M-F job. You work a ####### load of hours with no days off and then the job is finished (unless it's a maintenance gig) and your off to the races.

I don't know of anyone that I work with that's saving up for a condo in a gated community in Florida FFS. You live, and then you die. And it's what you do in between that counts for the fact you never know when your numbers next. If you don't understand this try working on a drill rig in the middle nowhere.

Congratulations, you only got one wrong.

That pic of me was taken on the Arctic Ocean off of North Star Island during a emergency shut down. I was up there for close to three months straight on that hitch. No booze, no women, no nothing...other than a few Polar bears and all the food you can eat. It gets down to -90 sometimes up there not factoring in the wind chill. You do three months up there and then tell me what your going to do when you finally get your ticket out. It's not like you have weekends off, and on shut downs like that one your putting in over 100 hours a week. You work, eat, and sleep. Nothing is up there other than work. No some of those guys up there will work and work, get burnt out so they drag up or don't come back, take months off of work doing whatever, and then take another job wherever it lands them. Some of those guys have worked in the Middle East, Africa, South America, Asia, Russia...you name it.

btw those trucks in the pics...all the trucks up there are diesels and they run all winter long...they never get shut off.

meveco06.jpg

No internet either???

When's your next trip? :lol:

My dad is also one of those guys. Worked in oil fields (offshore & onshore) most of his life. He did 3 years in Siberia, 2 years in Kazakhstan, 8 years in Middle East, 3 years in Vietnam, and smaller stints all over SE Asia & Europe. He still managed to stay faithful to my mom and they will be celebrating their 30 year anniversary this year, imagine that. The first thing he would after finishing a job was to go to the airport and stop at the duty-free to buy candy & toys for my sister & me, instead of running around trying to find the first chick he can bang. He spent his time off, driving my sister & me to school, helping my mom around the house, fixing up the house, doing maintenance work on the car to make sure that we had reliable transportation while he was gone, etc. Imo, those are the things a "real man" does instead of banging his cousin.. gross!

P.S: My dad also worked hard and got promoted to an office job so that he could spend more time with his family.

Iv'e met people like your dad...more power to them. I just couldn't get into the hang of it. And your mom was a good woman for staying faithful while he was working out of town. Here we have what we call "Slope wives". They are in the bars on the prowl as soon as their ol man is at the airport ready to fly back to work. Travelling out is usually a relationship breaker. When the mom raises the family by herself...which she does for the fact the ol man is working out of town...it gets old, they get fed up, and the next thing you know they are either cooking breakfast for some other guy, sending a "Dear John letter" or both.

To each their own. If your dad was playing "daddy" then good for him, if I was hosing down hookers then good for me. As long as nobody was getting the shaft then who gives a sh*t other than some chicks with a hard on against any guy who has fun in life and isn't tied down to same bon bon eating chick who wants to run their life. Different stroked for different folks. btw unless you were with your dad on those out of town jobs, you have no idea what he was doing in his off time. LOL

sigbet.jpg

Congratulations, you only got one wrong.

No internet either???

When's your next trip? :lol:

It was suppose to be two weeks ago. My unemployment has run out, and I'm living off my pers I drew out. I should be getting a call from the hall as soon as they get the go ahead on the Ft. Greely job.

That's not very nice.

Let me tell you a "daddy story" involving my dad. My dad got remarried, and had two girls with his now ex. When he got divorced, the girls chose to live with my dad. In their early teens, had the house to themselves when he was working out of town, and they thought my dad walked on water. He took them to church every Sunday, took them to soccer practice, gave them money, etc... but my dad is the all time fck...yet they wouldn't believe it...then they found out the truth.

My dad was working on the Valdez oil terminal during the summer in ... 92 I'm going to say on a travel card out of the hall. He lives in Tacoma and was working out of that local. So anyways he comes home after three months with rolls of film...all pics were of his fishing adventures except for one roll which was of him and two maids and a buddy in his camp room. Maids doing him, doing his buddy and the maids doing each other. So when my dad got back home my sisters decided to do daddy a favor and take his film to the two hour photo place and get it developed. :lol:

When he walked through the door that night all those pics of him and the camp maids were laying on the kitchen table. He was so embarrassed he walked right back out the door with his travel bags, got a hotel room, and took a travel call out to a job in Idaho for the fact he couldn't look my sisters in the eye.

So ya, "daddy's" aren't always good dads when they are out of town.

sigbet.jpg