Benjamin44

RCMP Certified Criminal Record Check looks like photocopy!

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

Alright, so, after FOUR MONTHS of waiting for my RCMP certificate (yes, it took this long because since I am not currently living in Canada I needed to submit fingerprints with ink on paper and mail them in, and applications of this sort take the RCMP 4 months to process) it finally came!! Yay! This is partially a cause for celebration, as my interview was months ago and this document was the last thing in my way to getting my IR-1 Visa (Filed DCF at my home abroad). The only thing is- this document looks VERY unimpressive- in fact, it doesn't even look like an official docuemnt! It's not on nice paper (it's literally on 1 regular piece of paper), it doesn't have any official seal, no original signature, and the whole thing is black and white!! In fact, it looks exactly like a photocopied document! It does say I have no criminal recor and it does have a copy of my fingerprints on it though- but based on what is directly on top, I can see that these are just photocopies of my prints from my application form which I sent in. Not exactly what I was expecting after 4 months of processing...

Has anyone here applied for the RCMP Certified Criminal Check, which is based on fignerprints (usually only needed if applying from outside of Canada or if one has a criminal record)? Does my description match what this thing is supposed to look like? Will the U.S. Consulate give me any trouble over the fact that this thing looks VERY unofficial and even like a photocopy? I'm kind of nervous about it, cause if they don't accept it I have no idea what else I can use to prove to them I have no crimial record, and don't know how else I can get my visa.

Anyone here with experience with this document- your replies would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you VJers!!

I applied for mine in late March (I live in Canada) and I still have not received mine yet! :/ Did you receive yours via regular post?

(sorry to hijack your thread :S)

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

Alright, so, after FOUR MONTHS of waiting for my RCMP certificate (yes, it took this long because since I am not currently living in Canada I needed to submit fingerprints with ink on paper and mail them in, and applications of this sort take the RCMP 4 months to process) it finally came!! Yay! This is partially a cause for celebration, as my interview was months ago and this document was the last thing in my way to getting my IR-1 Visa (Filed DCF at my home abroad). The only thing is- this document looks VERY unimpressive- in fact, it doesn't even look like an official docuemnt! It's not on nice paper (it's literally on 1 regular piece of paper), it doesn't have any official seal, no original signature, and the whole thing is black and white!! In fact, it looks exactly like a photocopied document! It does say I have no criminal recor and it does have a copy of my fingerprints on it though- but based on what is directly on top, I can see that these are just photocopies of my prints from my application form which I sent in. Not exactly what I was expecting after 4 months of processing...

Has anyone here applied for the RCMP Certified Criminal Check, which is based on fignerprints (usually only needed if applying from outside of Canada or if one has a criminal record)? Does my description match what this thing is supposed to look like? Will the U.S. Consulate give me any trouble over the fact that this thing looks VERY unofficial and even like a photocopy? I'm kind of nervous about it, cause if they don't accept it I have no idea what else I can use to prove to them I have no crimial record, and don't know how else I can get my visa.

Anyone here with experience with this document- your replies would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you VJers!!

I actually had to go search for the photocopy i have of it.. Yup thats what mine looked like. No special stamp or anything. Four finger prints along with your name and result on a plain piece of paper. I had no problems with mine and I am pretty sure they know what it looks like. Good luck :)

Btw I had a past record and sent mine in from The states... yours look a long time (mine took 60 days to send and receive back). :thumbs:

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

I applied for mine in late March (I live in Canada) and I still have not received mine yet! :/ Did you receive yours via regular post?

(sorry to hijack your thread :S)

I got mine via regular post (to an address in Canada), yes, since that's the only way they send it out. They got my application on March 10, then it was held up for a couple weeks because of the postal strike. So yours will come soon.

Just curious though- if youre in Canada, there is an option to submit fingerprints electronically, which goes MUCH faster. Did you submit your fingerprints this way or on paper?

I submitted mine with electronic fingerprints(?). The police service scanned them on a computer, then gave me this long paper with them on it to mail in.

UJaZm4.png

I actually had to go search for the photocopy i have of it.. Yup thats what mine looked like. No special stamp or anything. Four finger prints along with your name and result on a plain piece of paper. I had no problems with mine and I am pretty sure they know what it looks like. Good luck :)

Btw I had a past record and sent mine in from The states... yours look a long time (mine took 60 days to send and receive back). :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply!! Definitely comforting to know that mine is normal. As for the Consualte knowing what it should look like- well, the Canadian obviously would, but since I am abroad- how many people here would be submitting this? Only those who happened to once live in Canada. So who knows if they've seen this...

Which brings me to a question for ya: Which Consulate did you go through? You say you sent it in from the States, but I had thought that those doing AOS from within the States don't even need this document at all! In fact, I just advised a friend doing AOS that he doesn't need it so I want to make sure I gave him the right advice... :-)

Thanks!

I submitted mine with electronic fingerprints(?). The police service scanned them on a computer, then gave me this long paper with them on it to mail in.

Huh, that's weird, the RCMP website says it should take only 3 days:

If you have recently requested a criminal record verification, please note the following wait times:

•Three business days if your fingerprints were submitted electronically and you do not have a criminal holding

•10 weeks if your fingerprints were submitted by mail and you do not have a criminal holding

Link to the website is http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/app-dem-eng.htm.

You might want to make sure they have your application, or check that they didn't send it out already- it could be that they did and it got lost in the mail, in which case you will need to submit all over again. DEFINITELY worth checking into. The link I posted above also has instructions of how to check on your status by email- give it a look. I'd also reccomend calling 613-998-6362 to check, probably won't get an answer at that number but if you leave a message with a number to call you back, they will within a couple of days.

Thank-you! I did not know if I was allowed to call yet, or if there was even a number to call. Will check it out later today.

UJaZm4.png

Timeline

Thanks for the reply!! Definitely comforting to know that mine is normal. As for the Consualte knowing what it should look like- well, the Canadian obviously would, but since I am abroad- how many people here would be submitting this? Only those who happened to once live in Canada. So who knows if they've seen this...

Which brings me to a question for ya: Which Consulate did you go through? You say you sent it in from the States, but I had thought that those doing AOS from within the States don't even need this document at all! In fact, I just advised a friend doing AOS that he doesn't need it so I want to make sure I gave him the right advice... :-)

Thanks!

Im confused lol

I did a cr-1 Visa and we sent in our application while I was visiting for 5 months. I got my fingerprints done at the local police station in PA then sent them via usps to the RMCP in Ottawa I believe. I emailed them multiple times until I was told it was sent back out to me (60 days). we had our interview (my son and Mine) In Montreal last October. what visa are you doing? Im super confused as all Canadian consulates should know what the RCMP checks look like as well as the US consulate. Where exactly are you living? You are correct as far as I know you do not need one at the AOS stage but i never did it that way so im not sure.

Edited by Canadiandggal

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Im confused lol

I did a cr-1 Visa and we sent in our application while I was visiting for 5 months. I got my fingerprints done at the local police station in PA then sent them via usps to the RMCP in Ottawa I believe. I emailed them multiple times until I was told it was sent back out to me (60 days). we had our interview (my son and Mine) In Montreal last October. what visa are you doing? Im super confused as all Canadian consulates should know what the RCMP checks look like. You are correct as far as I know you do not need one at the AOS stage but i never did it that way so im not sure.

Thanks for the reply CanadianGal!!

I am doing an IR-1 Visa. And of course, the Canadian Consulate will know what the RCMP check looks like! But as I said in an earlier post, I applied DCF at a Consulate OUTSIDE of Canada- which is the only reason I needed a Certified Criminal Record Check- based on fingerprints- to begin with!! Otherwise, I could have done the name and date of birth check without fingerprints. So, I was saying that I'm nervous that the Consulate over here might not know what this thing is supposed to look like, and might suspect it of being a photocopy. since that is exactly what it looks like. They probably don't see too many of these things- the only people who woulw ever submit it are people who happened to live in Canada at one point and are now living out here. So that's why I'm nervous. And unfortunately, since I already had my interview, I can only drop it off at the Consulate's window and am not allowed to go inside, so I won't be there in person to argue that it's the real deal. I really hope they will accept it...

Hope I cleared up some confusion!

Timeline

Thanks for the reply CanadianGal!!

I am doing an IR-1 Visa. And of course, the Canadian Consulate will know what the RCMP check looks like! But as I said in an earlier post, I applied DCF at a Consulate OUTSIDE of Canada- which is the only reason I needed a Certified Criminal Record Check- based on fingerprints- to begin with!! Otherwise, I could have done the name and date of birth check without fingerprints. So, I was saying that I'm nervous that the Consulate over here might not know what this thing is supposed to look like, and might suspect it of being a photocopy. since that is exactly what it looks like. They probably don't see too many of these things- the only people who woulw ever submit it are people who happened to live in Canada at one point and are now living out here. So that's why I'm nervous. And unfortunately, since I already had my interview, I can only drop it off at the Consulate's window and am not allowed to go inside, so I won't be there in person to argue that it's the real deal. I really hope they will accept it...

Hope I cleared up some confusion!

Ah I get it so you are outside the United States as well. IS there anyway you can email the consulate and ask them about it? I wish you luck and a fast completion :)

age.png

age.png

event.png

Ah I get it so you are outside the United States as well. IS there anyway you can email the consulate and ask them about it? I wish you luck and a fast completion :)

Well, I could email them, but what good would it do? It's not like I can do anything about it at this point- that's the document the RCMP sent me. The only thing I could do is tip them off that something is weird- and that could only hurt me. Better to just submit it and see what happens...

Timeline

Well, I could email them, but what good would it do? It's not like I can do anything about it at this point- that's the document the RCMP sent me. The only thing I could do is tip them off that something is weird- and that could only hurt me. Better to just submit it and see what happens...

Its not weird thats what the thing looks like lol, I truly wouldn't worry about it.. Thats the document they gave you its legit and im sure the consulate will know it/figure it out.

age.png

age.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems like you've received an answer to your question, but I just wanted to add that you won't be the first person to bring this document to the consulate. If you're very worried, just attach the envelope you received it in (if you still have it).

Ottawa does so many of those checks everyday, I'm not surprised they look cheap. Stamps, seals, and signatures all cost time and money and with how long it takes to receive a reply from them, more time waiting would definitely be detrimental.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

mine back in 2004 from the RCMP, looked like a 5 yr old drew it up, and not a gifted 5 yr old either,lol

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.